WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Life and Decisions

ib4

Error
Staff
For some months now I have reflected on where my happiness lies in corporate culture(slavery). I've also long thought that I don't want to work for a company with a considerable salary for the rest of my life. I've always been told and I've always felt I'd be better off as an entrepreneur.

Up until recently I have come up with ideas and researched their possibilities. Nothing as struck me too hard, only the Cannabis industry had. I also have admired the idea of making a place on YouTube. Not necessarily me, but helping someone achieve that. I quickly sidelined those ideas when I ran into the tax related obstacles for Cannabis and the fact that I have no way to make YouTube anything work.

2 weeks ago, someone walks into my life. The way it happened seemed like fate as well. He happens to be a Cannabis cultivator, wants to be a YouTube personality regarding Cannabis Business cultural and self belief, motivation, and development. (Kinda like self help but more connect to life energies). Even more important, he has a mind much like mine and a mind that I have been searching for, for a while now. I have shed many friends over the past years because I can't stand basic anymore. Best I can give you is a @Jung like individual. We hit it off. He wants me as his "CTO" or something along the line, hes attached to me, he sees the future as endless if we partner together etc. etc.

Recently they began their layoffs here where I work. They offered an awesome relocation package to GA. I lived in GA for about 8 years. My wife and I and my soon to be here daughter could live very happily there with how we are setup. My wife wouldn't have to work either. We had long since talked about moving to GA. My sisters, nieces, and nephews are mostly out there. My father is too but he has a better setup here in Cali when he retires in a year and he was looking forward to being close to me. There's a good life in Georgia with whats on the table. But there's a chance at an even better life with this venture with my newfound friend who I believe in. I believe in his and my ability and what we can do together. I think many people would say the feeling of that possibility is worth more than the other.

Genuine thoughts would be nice.

Last edited:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Use what you learn under employment to bring to your own project. If it works out for you in the short term or long term to partner with you colleague, do so. As soon as that is no longer "right for you" seek your own path.
There's an old but true saying. "Do what you love, and the money will follow" . While not 100% practically accurate. The gist is that if you have a plan that you're enthusiastic about, you're more likely to have the motivation to bring it to fruition.
Something else to remember is that the most successful people today have along the way suffered great failures. What made them successful is learning from it, rather than scaring them off.

Jung

???
Premium
Aww, now I feel all warm and fuzzy in my pants.

How many times in your life have you regretted failures vs. missed opportunities? With your current level of experience, pay and offers, you should have a pretty good chance of jumping back into tech in any other industry if you needed to. And it sounds like your family will be in a good position regardless.

I say do it.

ib4

Error
Staff
I can honestly say I haven't experienced a regretful decision regarding work and money. But I have seen what it looks like. I would like to avoid for now hah. I am leaning towards staying and doing.

Regardless of which one you choose there will be risk. There's no guarantee the same job won't do layoffs in GA. I've seen plenty of people chase security only to get fucked in the end. The big question is which one will you regret not pursuing the most? If you've found the answer to that question then you've found your answer to your OP. Either way, it's your life, your wife, and your daughter. It won't be an easy descion to make. I wish you the best and congratulations on the little one.

Last edited:

Scooter

Roll me up and smoke me when I die.
If I were you and work dried up in Cali, considering your situation, I'd move to Georgia. That's a long and tough move, though. Also, I'd be wary about newfound friends. No matter how much y'all think you connect and can do great things together, I can't help but think that you're the one who is going to get screwed over in the end.

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
Don't even consider a full on jump into the new venture unless you have the roll to back it. Preferably other people's money (venture capitalists, angel investors, etc). I'm not particularly high on the concept of a weed guru either. Your market is saturated with weed and saturated with the self-help types. If you're setting up shop 'in the weed business' then you need a virgin market. Relocate to a medical-only (soon to be legal) state like Michigan. The risk keeps the scaredy cats away and your creation will be local and structural. Think foundation not wing. The biggest problem as I see it is you need to be honest with yourself and say "I don't know fuck all about weed". 'Go with what ya know'. You're business ought to be within a field which you've mastered and the idea of teaming up with some dude I met two weeks ago? No fucking way, Jackson. No telling how many ib4's this dude has in his wake. The risk-o-meter is already pegged.

Be keenly aware of what you're getting into. 99% of businesses fail. Business creation takes a push all-in. You'll be thinking about it every waking moment. In the morning with coffee, in the afternoon at lunch, you're head will be spinning with ideas when it hits the pillow. Babies first recital, when wifey wants to talk about her feelings and when Dad dies. "How do I lower costs but increase margins". "What am I going to do if Billy really does quit". "How am I going to make payroll AND get those last two invoices paid". etc etc etc. All consuming.

Take the gig in Georgia. Build a solid familial foundation THEN let the entrepreneurial spirit soar within a market you've mastered. You'll be keenly wise to it's inherent pitfalls.

With all that being said...I'll end with Rule #1. "Fuck You...full speed ahead". That's the driving force behind your every thought. When that D-Bag Fister on wtf.com says you shouldn't push all-in on a venture within a market you really know nothing about your response is "Fuck You full speed ahead". When you're told this is never going to work your response is "Fuck You...full speed ahead". When the bank declines your application for capital your response is "Fuck you...full speed ahead".

Excelsior!

ib4

Error
Staff
Don't even consider a full on jump into the new venture unless you have the roll to back it. Preferably other people's money (venture capitalists, angel investors, etc). I'm not particularly high on the concept of a weed guru either. Your market is saturated with weed and saturated with the self-help types. If you're setting up shop 'in the weed business' then you need a virgin market. Relocate to a medical-only (soon to be legal) state like Michigan. The risk keeps the scaredy cats away and your creation will be local and structural. Think foundation not wing. The biggest problem as I see it is you need to be honest with yourself and say "I don't know fuck all about weed". 'Go with what ya know'. You're business ought to be within a field which you've mastered and the idea of teaming up with some dude I met two weeks ago? No fucking way, Jackson. No telling how many ib4's this dude has in his wake. The risk-o-meter is already pegged.
Agreed. I have always been a pretty good judge of character and I feel pretty solid about this guy. But you are absolute right...you can never be to sure.

As far as not know anything about the industry. I don't let that bother me. Everything I have to my name today is because I was able to figure out "everything" about something I didn't know dick about. If anything, that is a talent of mine. I run app ops for a billion dollar corp touching thousands of servers, banks, and stores we all shop at and I got my self there through the internet. People with their fucking degrees and praise certifications cant even touch me(sometimes).

Take the gig in Georgia. Build a solid familial foundation THEN let the entrepreneurial spirit soar within a market you've mastered. You'll be keenly wise to it's inherent pitfalls.
This corporate slavery things really chaps my soul. They just butchered my company here in Cali of all the people that made it what it is. The way a billion dollar corp sees you as a number, doesn't exactly seem too different in the risk department. As an entrepreneur, at least my gains are my gains and my loss is my loss in a sense. I don't have to answer to Jim-Joe Manager every day and wonder if he is so soft he might my place my number in the next chop block list because I was firm with him about major decisions he was too stupid to see.

With all that being said...I'll end with Rule #1. "Fuck You...full speed ahead". That's the driving force behind your every thought. When that D-Bag Fister on wtf.com says you shouldn't push all-in on a venture within a market you really know nothing about your response is "Fuck You full speed ahead". When you're told this is never going to work your response is "Fuck You...full speed ahead". When the bank declines your application for capital your response is "Fuck you...full speed ahead".

Excelsior!
Word. What say you?

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
Word. What say you?
What say me? This is what I say...you're already dead. That which was ib4 is but a mere memory. The only thing you, me or any other swinging dick has left is a desperate grasp of time. Time is all you REALLY have. It is life's most prized possession. Wash away all the bullshit of cars, "success", attitude, houses, fashion, hate and glee. TIME, my friend. It is all that matters.

How will you use it? This flicker of time you have left? I'll tell you how you're going to use it.

You're going to fuck that smoking hot wife of yours like it's your last hour.
You're going to love that kid of yours as if the cosmic spiral of all that is good emanates from her chest.

...and you're also going to create a business where your soul is fulfilled and your coffer is full.
You're going to do this because the cosmos demands it. You've been given the gift of talent and time.

Waste neither.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
My biggest obstacles to being an entrepreneur have been finding money (investors) lack of execution, lack of partners and people that believe we can make the Idea work. Ive sat down and written plan after plan... gone to the SBA and talked with Angel investors... and for whatever reason never fully executed.

Since then, Ive seen others use the same ideas I had, and grow them in the area and become successful. Some of them even becoming multi million dollar companies within a couple years.

If you find something and the people that believe in it.... jump into it. Make it your life and let nothing stop you. Let it be your second crucible. Keep a decent income, downsize your expenses and dedicate all your time and energy to it. Be frugal and be dedicated.

Execute, execute execute.