WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Light bulbs going out of style - soon!

jamesp

In Memory...
Accidental invention could light up the future

Quantum dot mixture takes LED lighting to a new level

The main light source of the future will almost surely not be a bulb. It might be a table, a wall, or even a fork.

An accidental discovery announced this week has taken LED lighting to a new level, suggesting it could soon offer a cheaper, longer-lasting alternative to the traditional light bulb. The miniature breakthrough adds to a growing trend that is likely to eventually make Thomas Edison's bright invention obsolete.

LEDs are already used in traffic lights, flashlights, and architectural lighting. They are flexible and operate less expensively than traditional lighting.

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
Crazy, I just read this story.. It's pretty impressive!

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
yes but will it bring the price of a flat panel tv down? :D

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
That's awesome. Bush will probably try to bring back oil lamps when he hears this.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Icarus said:
That's awesome. Bush will probably try to bring back oil lamps when he hears this.
You mean, people aren't still using oil lamps?:confused:

I really need to move out of Georgia. :)

jamesp

In Memory...
I thought you lived in the Mid-West, remember I couldn't go to NOLA because sinamon wasn't going, and I had no ride....:(

Jung

???
Premium
Darklight said:
yes but will it bring the price of a flat panel tv down? :D
OLED is a more likely successor to LCD and Plasma TVs. But the price of flat panels is already pretty damn low right now. Even if some new technology did come out, it would be more expensive, and probably just make prices on the older technologies drop.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
junglizm said:
OLED is a more likely successor to LCD and Plasma TVs. But the price of flat panels is already pretty damn low right now. Even if some new technology did come out, it would be more expensive, and probably just make prices on the older technologies drop.
seen a flat panel I super liked yesterday but it was $900... a conventional set next to it of the same size was $199...