WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Limits to free speech... or naw?

Free speech should have no bounds.

• Total voters

ib4

Error
Staff
The question: Should free speech be limited even if the results cause offense... or even degradation?

"...the video, the yelling student identified as Luther told Christakis that he and his wife have created an unsafe environment. When he didn’t agree, she screamed: “You should not sleep at night!” and urged him to step down from his position.

The protest came after Erika Christakis wrote an email telling students perhaps faculty had gone too far telling them to be careful which Halloween costumes they wear, and think hard to try not to offend anyone.

Many students considered the email inappropriate, and have asked for an apology. When none came, they urged the Christakis couple to step down from their positions as master and associate master."

For the zingers: http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/09/meet-the-privileged-yale-student-who-shrieked-at-her-professor/
For the empathetic: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/diaryofawimpycatholic/2015/11/mercy-for-shrieking-girl/
For the ones who blame Obama: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-college-political-correctness_55f8431ee4b00e2cd5e80198

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
Im pleased that stupid idiot has been shamed in deleting all her online media presense. When I see this a little part of me dies. Why is nobody shouting back at her to shut the fuck up. These are the people who own the future. I have no doubt in my mind she is a feminist. I hope she gets knife raped by Michael Myers... cry bully for sure!

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
Like a friend of mine said, better a world where any idiot can talk than a world where even who's right can't.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Fuck no. There should be no limits to free speech.
I mean, there are reasonable limits to free speech. You can't shout "fire" in a crowded theater unless there is an actual fire, for example. Like, when your speech only serves the cause of destruction or mayhem, it's not protected. And it has to be absolutely that. None of this slippery slope "one could argue it only serves those things." It needs to be cut and dried. Otherwise, yeah, no limits.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
I mean, there are reasonable limits to free speech. You can't shout "fire" in a crowded theater unless there is an actual fire, for example. Like, when your speech only serves the cause of destruction or mayhem, it's not protected. And it has to be absolutely that. None of this slippery slope "one could argue it only serves those things." It needs to be cut and dried. Otherwise, yeah, no limits.
Nope. Not doing this discussion with you... again. I've had this discussion with you and others on this site since I've been here. I've layed out my reasoning consistently... you can check the record if you like.

Private is different than a public forum and speech is decidedly different than action. Just because it is accepted does not mean it is moral or just. So... fuck that stupid ass canard of a "well some speech is limited."

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
Yale is a private institution so please allow me to take a step back and remind everyone that none of this has fuck all to do with free speech.

Thank you.

• 1Helpful
Reactions: BRiT

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
At least he's been honest, and not a dickwad arguing on the topic for the sake of it (or for "winning the thread").

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
You can shout "fire" in a crowded theater but then you can expect a fine. I think you an RebelBuddha can both agree on that and not have him wear a collar that electric shocks him every time he tries to shout "fire" - because thats the only thing that could possibly stop people from blurting out the first thing pops into their heads. free speech always has and always will exist but words are as powerful as weapons and acting as if you can say what you like without repercusions under the guise of "free speech" is ridiculous.

RebelBuddha

Rey de Currumpaw
You can shout "fire" in a crowded theater but then you can expect a fine. I think you an RebelBuddha can both agree on that and not have him wear a collar that electric shocks him every time he tries to shout "fire" - because thats the only thing that could possibly stop people from blurting out the first thing pops into their heads. free speech always has and always will exist but words are as powerful as weapons and acting as if you can say what you like without repercusions under the guise of "free speech" is ridiculous.
Yeah... you know what else is ridiculous? Thinking that words are as powerful as bombs and bullets. Its kind of an empty generalization that we accept to dupe people into thinking there should be limits on speech.

I never saw a jet dive on a city and drop words on them with devastating effect. Bombs... yeah... seen that one. Never seen a word shred through someone's skull... bullets... yeah.

Saying that action-less words deserve repercussions is your excuse to advocate the use of force against people that say things YOU don't like.

Accepting the fact that what you say can end your life or complicate it in some other way is ridiculous. No person should ever be ridiculed or imprisoned or killed for what they say.

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
Yeah... you know what else is ridiculous? Thinking that words are as powerful as bombs and bullets. Its kind of an empty generalization that we accept to dupe people into thinking there should be limits on speech.

I never saw a jet dive on a city and drop words on them with devastating effect. Bombs... yeah... seen that one. Never seen a word shred through someone's skull... bullets... yeah.

Saying that action-less words deserve repercussions is your excuse to advocate the use of force against people that say things YOU don't like.

Accepting the fact that what you say can end your life or complicate it in some other way is ridiculous. No person should ever be ridiculed or imprisoned or killed for what they say.
I didn't say anybody should be killed or imprisoned for what they, I was just trying to say there are natural repercussions if you say certain things, not things I don't like but generally if you over step boundaries of civility and I totally disagree with you, words are weapons, every bomb dropped on a city with devastating effect was started by men talking in rooms. and I will feel free to ridicule people for what they say.