WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Linux haters?

tzedek

Original Member
i didnt realize there are so many linux haters. i installed suse on my friend's box after he got sick of windows becuase he couldnt set up the video card. he lives on campus, and everybody makes fun of him for using linux. how ironic...

Jung

???
Premium
Most people are either too stupid, or too scared of change/learning to ever use Linux on a day to day basis. I still believe that nobody will ever learn to use *nix to its full potential, until they learn C.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
tzedek said:
i didnt realize there are so many linux haters. i installed suse on my friend's box after he got sick of windows becuase he couldnt set up the video card. he lives on campus, and everybody makes fun of him for using linux. how ironic...
It's easy for people to make fun of things they don't understand.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
People are just afraid of change, same with my parents it took me 2 years to convince my dad that xp was better than Windows ME, now im workin on switchin him over to fedora core but thats gonna take some time. I predict in the next 10-15 years linux will slowly start taking over.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Fire_ze_Missles said:
It's easy for people to make fun of things they don't understand.
yep- thats all i have to say on that one

Descent

Hella Constipated
Yes...after Linux becomes easier to use, IT WILL take over...

fuck_you

Banned - What an Asshat!
Linux haters dont want to learn anything , like Jung said they are just too scared. I have nothing against windows or Linux or mac or any O.S but windows is pretty easy Linux is pretty easy as well but im not a linux expert or anything i used it a few years ago for a few months it was pretty cool but at the time i was 10 so it was hard to have it be really easy.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
junglizm said:
I still believe that nobody will ever learn to use *nix to its full potential, until they learn C.
Thats probably true, but after taking C and C++ in college, I would rather bite my own touge off than learn any more of that! :D

Tiejaz

Owner of n00bZ
Linux. I hate it. Windows is so much better. Seriously. The only thing that even looks useable with linux is Lindows. All that is is a cheap ripoff of windows. Who wants a text based OS? Why not just get DOS? Haha. I would rather use Linux than any Mac OS however. Besides, linus torvald, when he made linux violated the copyright of Unix. it is technically illegal.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
OMG. I've never seen as much fud about linux as that spouted off by Tiejaz. Linus never violated any copyrights when creating Linux. It is entirely legal and devoid of any copyright violations. If you have any doubts or concerns about it, try reading the entire http://www.groklaw.net/ site. They're an excellent central source concerning Linux and it's development from a legal aspect.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
tzedek said:
I'm not a Linux hater; I like Linux and support the philosophy behind it. I just hate all those Linux nerds that act superior. I am also, a Microsoft supporter. I run MS O/S’s on all my workstations and servers and have never been the victim of a vulnerability exploit, with the exception of the random virus on a remote employee’s laptop, and those I can count on one hand. Yes they exist, but I keep my boxes patched with minimal effort.

I find it Ironic that the server I Dallas where my site (along with many others), running Linux was hacked, and every site on it defaced. The perpetrator took advantage of a Kernel exploit.

Does that make Linux a vulnerable OS? Yes, every OS is in some way vulnerable.
Does it make Linux a bad OS? No, It means that the server admin did not properly patch it with a more secure Kernel.(human error)

The same rings true with MS. I’m writing this from one of my beta machines at home. This is a win2K box that I beat the shit out of. It’s the one I use whenever I want to try out some new application, or some piece of mystery code.
My start menu is filled with a plethora of apps that I loaded, and used once. My registry is currently 45mb. Most of which is leftover keys from bygone programs.
I do everything to this machine that you’re not supposed to do, and it runs like a top.

I’m a firm believer that anyone that has a problem with any MS OS after windows 98; should repackage their computer, and return it to the manufacture, while curling up with a good book (assuming they can read). They have no business, attempting to operate a computer.

Jung

???
Premium
Tiejaz said:
Windows is so much better. Seriously.
Why don't you explain why it's so much better? Anyone can make generic broad base claims without proof to back it up, you're still not proving anything.
The only thing that even looks usable with linux is Lindows.
That's pretty laughable; Lindows is the biggest piece of shit distro out here. It's a dumbed down version of Debian, they removed apt repositories to sneak in a fee for installing software. It's the idiots version of Liunux, there's no dev tools, they force you to pay for installing software, and it still doesn't "just work" like they claim.
All that is is a cheap ripoff of windows.
God, you really are clueless aren't you? Lindows isn't a rip off of windows, despite the name. It's a shitty attempt to improve usability, something that's been on the back burner for most other developers. Mostly because Linux isn't for every moron with a computer. Linux fans don't need a distro that works just like windows, or improves usability. We've already been using Linux for years; we know how to use it.
Who wants a text based OS? Why not just get DOS?
When you run servers, there's no need for the added resource hit that a gui takes. Furthermore, Linux isn't always a text based OS, there's X windows and KDE and Gnome that run on top of that. DOS sucks compared to Linux's command line; it lacks powerful commands, true support for piping and supports stdin/stdout extremely poorly. Not to mention it's complete lack of regex support.
Haha. I would rather use Linux than any Mac OS however.
Haha. I bet you didn't know that OSX is based on BSD (UNIX).
Besides, linus torvald, when he made linux violated the copyright of Unix. it is technically illegal.
Besides, you have no clue what you're talking about. You're technically clueless. I guess you never heard of the SCO trial?

You just sound like another 13 year old that tried learning Linux and failed. Now you're just repeating shit you've heard other people say, or half read on some web site. :rolleyes:

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
Tiejaz said:
Who wants a text based OS? Why not just get DOS?
junglizm said:
When you run servers, there's no need for the added resource hit that a gui takes. Furthermore, Linux isn't always a text based OS, there's X windows and KDE and Gnome that run on top of that. DOS sucks compared to Linux's command line; it lacks powerful commands, true support for piping, supports stdin/stdout extremely poorly. Not to mention it's complete lack of regex support.
rofl'd... If I could afford to build another machine, one would be Linux no doubt.

Tiejaz

Owner of n00bZ
wow, you really know what you are talking about.
and, no i have never tried linux, i am just speculating

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Tiejaz said:

So then, you have no reason to comment on linux? And have just made yourself look like the new village fool. Way to go. :thumbsup:

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
See, that's the problem with people's views. And I'm not just talking about Linux. :thumbsdn:

ps, j/w junglizm, how do you pronounce Linux?

Jung

???
Premium
Tiejaz said:
Speculating or trolling? You could've speculated in an informed and intelligent manner though.
ps, j/w junglizm, how do you pronounce Linux?
Although I could be wrong, I pronounce it just like it looks. "Lin-ux"

Descent

Hella Constipated
Max said:
I’m a firm believer that anyone that has a problem with any MS OS after windows 98; should repackage their computer, and return it to the manufacture, while curling up with a good book (assuming they can read). They have no business, attempting to operate a computer.
Then I guess I should pack up my PC and read a book, huh? I became so sick of XP Home's stability that I just chucked it. At the time, my box was a Palomino 2000+, with a Ti4200 and 640 RAM. I built it with my bare hands. I was bored one day, and I downloaded a trial version of Server 2003. I would never run XP again, this OS is like God. Read up on it, I have it configured as a workstation.

Currently my machine has dual 2600+'s, a 9700 Pro and 1.12GB RAM. However, my wimpy little PSU couldn't give my PC enough juice, so I stuck in my old TNT2 and OCed it to it's already known "sweet spot," so not it is as fast as a GF2 MX 200, a little bit faster actually. Surprisingly, I can achieve a solid 30-60 fps in HL2 DM. I'm going to order a nice Rosewill silent 500w lighted PSU off Newegg. I have never seen a brand as consistent as Rosewill in my life, nothing I have ever seen made by them has under four stars on Newegg. It also has 27 Amps on the 12v rail.

Jung

???
Premium
Wouldn't it be easier for you to just put your hardware specs in your sig?

P.S. I'm sure Max, as well as most IT people on this site, is well acquainted with Server 2k3. Also, I've already explained that XP can be very stable. My XP install has never crashed from a software related issue. If you need to tun a server OS to achieve stability, then so be it. XP most certainly can be stable though.