WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

linux is driving me nuts!

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
i have the general idea of how to work linux but whenever i try to do it .. like run something, it never works! i followed aim RPM instructions exactly yet AIM does not show up.. anyone want to lend a helping hand?

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
WTF is wrong with linux i was told it was better, in the past half hour it has frozen 20 times, and I BARELY was able to get to wtf.com.. IM GOING TO FUCKING KILL SOMEONE THIS IS SO FUCKING FRUSTRATING IT WONT LET ME DO ANYTHING ANY PROGRAM I TRY TO RUN DOESNT LOAD THE THING JAMS UP SO MUCH THAT IT DOESNT LET ME MOVE THE GOD DAMN MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! :sword: :sword: :sword: :sword: :sword:

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
i keep wanting to try it out, once i get a secondary harddrive to partition, just incase......so, i have no experience with it, but let me know how it works out for you.

i know this is off topic but dustinzgirl- im chatching up to you in posts! youd better post more! :D any ways, maybe call the company and ask for some money or something

Jung

???
Premium
p99 said:
i have the general idea of how to work linux but whenever i try to do it .. like run something, it never works! i followed aim RPM instructions exactly yet AIM does not show up.. anyone want to lend a helping hand?
get rpm-apt & synaptic it makes installing rpm's fairly simply, for beginners. http://freshrpms.net/apt/ gaim would prob work better for linux also. i've found the real aim client crashed alot (shittty port imo)

apt..one of the many reasons i love debian:)

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
p99 said:
WTF is wrong with linux i was told it was better, in the past half hour it has frozen 20 times, and I BARELY was able to get to wtf.com.. IM GOING TO FUCKING KILL SOMEONE THIS IS SO FUCKING FRUSTRATING IT WONT LET ME DO ANYTHING ANY PROGRAM I TRY TO RUN DOESNT LOAD THE THING JAMS UP SO MUCH THAT IT DOESNT LET ME MOVE THE GOD DAMN MOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! :sword: :sword: :sword: :sword: :sword:
Linux is better, you just have to know how to use it, what version do you have, red hat, fedora, suse, gentoo, or FreeBSD, theres a few more but those are the most popular, gentoo is the hardest to work by far, if your a beginner with linux i would suggest that you go with red had and go to BAM(books a million) and buy the Red Hat Linux 9 Bible...that should help ya, and yeah don't use AIM in linux use gaim, or kopete

Jung

???
Premium
since he's having problems with rpm's (red hat package manager) you can rule our gentoo, since it uses emerge similar to debian's apt or bsd's port system. since bsd isn't linux, but a clone of Berkeley unix, you can also rule that out. debian and gentoo probrably run neck in neck as far as learning curve, but imo debian is a much more mature distro. true you compile gentoo from source via tarballs, but you can do this with debian as well (any distro for that matter). gentoo just lacks certain key tools i've come to love about debian, apt & pseudo being only 2. i like bsd alot myself, it's more stable straight out of the box, the only think i dislike about it is the lack of procfs. personally i'd suggest mandrake for a beginner.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Yeah I have redhat and I can't figure out how to install anything, I downloaded LIMEWIRE and its all just a text thing.. I think I may be fucked here maybe I should go back to xp..

I dont know how to uninstall stuff either..! :sword:

this stupid fucking thing freezes all the time .. it just STOPS what its doing

did i mention mozilla takes FOREVER?!

Descent

Hella Constipated
What the fuck...

What version of Red Hat are you running? And what model Thinkpad do you have?

You should run Red hate 9 or Fedora if you have a Thinkpad 600 series...Other versions of Linux run like shit on those machines. I know, I used to have one. I could never get Mandrake working on it...

Also, it sounds to me like you are having hardware problems. Linux just doesn't freeze up like that. Some of the older Thinkpads like the 600 series have flaky APM (Advanced Power Management) support in their BIOS, which pisses some versions of Linux off. The older Pentium 2 Thinkpads are notorious for this.

If I were you, I would suggest loading on Red Hat Fedora. That version will run great on your Thinkpad.

Jung

???
Premium
i find it easier to install source, most gnu packages install with:
"./configure && make && make install"

imo it's alot easier to install from command line. if you're having trouble finding something you've installed look in you're user folder /home/username in redhat i believe. alot of times packages won't add the program to the kde or gnome menu's. you can always use "rpm -Uvh filename.rpm" to install rpms from console. red hat is one of those distros where everything is different, so if that doesn't work try "rpmbuild --rebuild filename.src.rpm"(if it's a source rpm) "rpm -e filename" uninstalls. grab those two packages i mentioned rpm-apt & synaptic, they'll make your life alot easier. in my experience mozilla isn't a great browser in linux, try firefox, opera, or konquerer if you're running kde. hmm the freezing could bee alot of things, how much ram do you have? did you creat a swap partition? if it's a slower computer redhat may just be too much for it. there are different versions of red hat, compiled for different processors ie i586 i686 etc, you may have a version compiled for a faster processor class.

^^ of course remove the quotation marks from the commands ;)

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Yeah this stuff is so confusing to me, I have a Pentium 3 thinkpad.. Its a couple years old..

Jung

???
Premium
nm, looks like red hat is all compiles for i386.

on a p3 i'd look at maybe running something other than kde/gnome maybe icewm of fluxbox. you can also try & disable some of the graphical enhancements.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
mmm and how do you do that? and how do you deinstall things? AND WHY does it keeps updating the same thing over and over, I'll have updated it then in the next hour the same thing needs to be updated.. I think I've updated it about one hundred times, that and whenever its doing something i can barely move my mouse then it just freezes.. reallllllly starting to piss me off...

even when im not doing anything it makes that sound like the computers thinking and my mouse freezes and FUCKING JESUS FUCKING CHRIST i want to kill something NOTHING WORKS.. I'm going back to xp linux sucks my ass

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
p99 said:
This doesn't belong in Issues, take it to the "I'm a Stupid Idiot" Forum...

Paul

Tenderony
cmon now
rpms are by far the easiest install process you can deal with
up2date, yum, apt, all make it cake!
maybe if you post some specific errors you are getting (aside from freezing up since i agree that thats most likely hardware related) we can try to help you out :)

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
I can DO all the rpm stuff, It takes me probably a little longer than most people cause I just started using redhat, but its not that that im frustrated over..

1. It always freezes
2. Randomly stops what its doing
3. Likes to restart without telling me
4. Mouse glitches up and doesn't move
5. Updates the same file then says it isn't updated
6. Takes FOREVER to do anything

I think its my laptop doesn't have certain memory parts to let linux do its job..

voiceofreason True American said:
This doesn't belong in Issues, take it to the "I'm a Stupid Idiot" Forum...
Umm, fuck you, why don't you actually READ what was going wrong, I only have a couple problems with BIN files but thats it, retard.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Dude...THAT is a hardware problem. Your laptop may have bad memory.

I would suggest downloading the bootable CD version of memtest86. Leave it on for a few hours, and see if you get any read/write errors.

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
Paul said:
cmon now
rpms are by far the easiest install process you can deal with
up2date, yum, apt, all make it cake!
maybe if you post some specific errors you are getting (aside from freezing up since i agree that thats most likely hardware related) we can try to help you out :)
I am glad you said it...Geezus

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Ok so I'm trying to install windows 98 on the thinkpad so I can use the XP software upgrade.. I enter the system bios in the beginning and it is enabled that I can boot from CD-ROM.. Whenever I choose the option to boot from CD-ROM and start windows 98 setup rather than boot from hard-drive (to start redhat) at the black startup screen, it just freezes.. Anyone know a method on installing a different OS over linux?..