WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

linux or windoze

tzedek

Original Member
so i bought an old school laptop becuase i was bored and i got a good deal on it. should i run redhat or win2k? it has 160 ram so i think i will be better off with linux.. we will see either way it comes in tomorrow.

evilghoul

Eee-Ook Gow
OK if you want better performance you want linux but if you want games and stuff get windows. Linux is better, Windows has more games.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Do not, I repeat DO NOT GET LINUX ON A LAPTOP.. I got redhat for a brand new thinkpad and it ran so slowly.. Plus if you don't know how to run linux, I wouldn't suggest starting, windows reliable and FINE why do you need to switch, it took me 10 minutes to install aim because you have to go through programming and text, god I didn't understand it.. It still didn't work after I got it installed, I couldn't figure out how to uninstall anything, updates didn't work with redhat service, and it froze all the time..

Go with "windoze" as you like to call it...

Descent

Hella Constipated
P99, I don't kniw what the fuck you did to that Thinkpad, but they are designed to support Linux. I ran Red Hat on my old Thinkpad with no problem.

Do a Google on "(Insert laptop model here) on Linux." See what people say about it. There are Linux How-To's for just about every laptop made within the last ten years on the internet.

You could also always dual boot.

Oh, and P99 fucked his up in some way. I mean, bigtime. I recommend you use the distribution that will work the best on it, which would most likely be Fedora (The new name for the free version of Red Hat).

ron

Buster of Asses
p99 said:
Do not, I repeat DO NOT GET LINUX ON A LAPTOP.. I got redhat for a brand new thinkpad and it ran so slowly.. Plus if you don't know how to run linux, I wouldn't suggest starting, windows reliable and FINE why do you need to switch, it took me 10 minutes to install aim because you have to go through programming and text, god I didn't understand it.. It still didn't work after I got it installed, I couldn't figure out how to uninstall anything, updates didn't work with redhat service, and it froze all the time..

Never had a problem running Linux on a laptop. As for games, it depends on what you mean. There are probably more games that run under Linux, but more of the commercially available games run under Windows. The AIM installation takes about 18 seconds under Linux. RTFM.

Descent

Hella Constipated
OWN3D Ron!

P99 can't use Linux. Don't feel bad P99, I suck at using it too.

tzedek

Original Member
p99 said:

windoze is not half as reliable as linux or in any way fine for anybody.

i would say i am already "fluent" in linux... and i am not a big fan of windows. if you had a problem with it you should have started with mandrake thats how i started. i still really know nothing compared to most linux people but i can do a lot. I cant understand why it took you 10 minutes to install AIM 1. my entire installs take less than 20 minutes 2. who uses AIM on linux? hell i dont even use AIM on windows. The thing is i generally like windows programs more ie Word paint winamp etc. but i hate dealing with goddamn windows virii trojans and that shit and just general errors. i may run a dual boot if i can like stager said but the thing is i only have about 2 gigs to deal with. games really arent an issue for 1. im not really a gamer 2. when i say old school laptop i mean pentium 1 old school. well it comes in tonight.... :( still cant decide... I think that i wll try out windoze for a week if i can get it setup at all and then just say "ah fuck it" and run RH.

UnChew

100% Peruvian Pussy*
i would recomend windows because it has more compatible programas than linux

ron

Buster of Asses
UnChew said:
i would recomend windows because it has more compatible programas than linux
Compatible with what? MS Office? Got it covered. Java? Covered. Web? Got that, too. With a little chutzpah you might even figure out how to run your Windows and DOS programs from Linux (or BSD, or Irix, or HP-UX, whatever).

I recommend Windows, too, since most of you seem too fucking stupid to RTFM and actually learn how to use a real OS. Then, you could have the majority of your software for free and written to real standards in order to foster interoperability. Pinheads.

The more money you throw at Microsoft and their cronies, the less freedom there will be in the marketplace. Just keep right on lowering the bar...I'll be thinking of you teabaggers while I play Doom on my SGI workstation.

tzedek

Original Member
ron said:
I recommend Windows, too, since most of you seem too fucking stupid to RTFM and actually learn how to use a real OS.

as i said before i know how to setup/use linux already currently i run an XP/RH 9 dual boot on my desktop. thanks for the help tho buddy.

ron

Buster of Asses
tzedek said:
as i said before i know how to setup/use linux already currently i run an XP/RH 9 dual boot on my desktop. thanks for the help tho buddy.
OK, good. I was not necessarily directing my post at you. Funny how I display a general garment and you claim it is cut to your fit. Anyway, what's difficult about Linux? It's not like there are about a billion FAQs out there covering almost any situation the n00b could run across.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I heard talk of Microsoft making a move from the x86 platform?

And, on the Linux talk. I'd say Linux, because, like ron mentioned, you can get things that run on Windows to run on Linux, just gotta have the know-how.

ron

Buster of Asses
Fire_ze_Missles said:
I heard talk of Microsoft making a move from the x86 platform?
From x86 to what? MIPS? PA-RISC? RS12000? Opteron? Alpha? They once tried NT 4.0 on MIPS. It sort of died a quiet death. Windows on Alpha runs pretty damned well, though. Of course, just about everything runs well on Alpha...

Jung

???
Premium
p99 said:
Do not, I repeat DO NOT GET LINUX ON A LAPTOP IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING.
fixed.

i've run many distro's of linux on many laptops with out problems. but then again i know what i'm doing.:)

p.s. if you really want to use linux for anything other than being able to say "hey guys i run linux" forget about red hat.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
ron said:
From x86 to what? MIPS? PA-RISC? RS12000? Opteron? Alpha? They once tried NT 4.0 on MIPS. It sort of died a quiet death. Windows on Alpha runs pretty damned well, though. Of course, just about everything runs well on Alpha...

Honestly, I have no idea... it was something about moving from the x86 and making strictly microsoft products the only one's compatiable with windows. Sort of what Apple does... I loathe Apple computers.

But then again, maybe I heard wrong.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
I could use linux fuckheads it just would freeze all the time, I HAD redhat on my thinkpad..

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Ok who is the douche who left me bad rep for that...

ron

Buster of Asses
p99 said:
I could use linux fuckheads it just would freeze all the time, I HAD redhat on my thinkpad..
Was it an old Thinkpad? I ran into a similar problem on my Thinkpad until I swapped the CMOS battery. Performance was the same under Windows or Linux, so I looked for a hardware solution. It was a few years old.

Debian is a good linux distribution. Slackware was a pretty good distribution a few years ago, but I have not used it since 1999. I like RedHat's GUI, but I think Debian and SuSE are more complete out of the box. SuSE is pretty good, but I don't like their GUI. One of the wonderful things about all Linux distributions is that you can change it to whatever you like.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Its a $3000 thinkpad.. Probably 2000 or around there, I'm not sure exactly..

tzedek

Original Member
p99 said:
Ok who is the douche who left me bad rep for that...

probably ron he likes to leave a lot of bad rep for stupid reasons... wasnt me... but i will help ya out bud :thumbsup: