WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

liquor

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
we had a recent discussion on ale/beer..
maybe we had one on liquor too.. (?)

but if you want to share your preferences of drink.. raw or mixed then give me a few ideas..

right now i'm halfway through a bottle of pritchard's crystal rum.. local tennessee stuff, and nice too.. i generally only drink rum, only white rum.. but, 2 years ago when i went to nicaragua i bought back a lot of flor de cana, (which is widely regarded to be the best rum in the world, well, if you get the old bottles, pre sandinista stock..) and that was a dark rum.. they usually give me a 'head' but that shit was pretty clean.. but usually i stick with white rum..
but anyway.. i'm taking each glass alternately with rose's lime or diet/caffeine free coke (brown sweetened water, uh huh..) and a lot of ice..

hoffy

joshhoffy
i dont mind a drop of rum every now and again lol but i usally stick to cans like wood stock or bundy and cola mmmmmmm i coulde go for a carton of that right now :D

Jung

???
Premium
I'm very partial to a nice aged scotch; the blend of tastes just does it for me. My all time favorite is Dimple Pinch 15 year aged scotch. It's sweet and smoky, and you can taste the barrels. It's my choice for everyday drinking.

Also very notable in my opinion are Johnny Walker Blue 15 year, Laphroaig 30 year and Royale Salute 21 year. They are all very good; you'd be hard pressed to find finer scotches, but they are pricey.

Being partial to martinis, I also enjoy extra dry gin. I usually buy Hampton's gin though, as I've yet to find a better brand. Suggestions welcome. I'm also partial to gin and seven up. (is there a name for that?)

I also like a bit of Absinthe from time to time, my picks for this would be Sambuca or Ouzo. La Bleue is good as well, but I prefer local green absinthes.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
jung..

2 quick Qs..
is absinthe even legal here in usa? my wife (the goddamn knowitall lobbyist) is on the board with TN ABC and says 'no'.. but a quick google/froogle says yes.. hmm..

and do you like older (than 15) scotches, my father in law (her dad) is forever asking me to bring back a tres old scotch when we go back to GB.. i appreciate older rums so i know that it pays off but i don't taste it in scotch, i know, it's just me..

oh and 'ouzo absinthe'? i had to google that one.. i lived in prague 2000/01 and did my fair share of the green fairies but i always thought ouzo was what i drank in crete.. a anisedey pernod type thing that lights a fire under your ass.. i learnt something tonight, ouzo absinthe.. double the trouble..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
hoffy said:
i dont mind a drop of rum every now and again lol but i usally stick to cans like wood stock or bundy and cola mmmmmmm i coulde go for a carton of that right now :D
what are they?
i haven't been to AUS yet..

Jung

???
Premium
void said:
jung..

2 quick Qs..
is absinthe even legal here in usa? my wife (the goddamn knowitall lobbyist) is on the board with TN ABC and says 'no'.. but a quick google/froogle says yes.. hmm..
I don't think it's legal really; it can't be sold in bars or liquor stores, you can order it off the internet though. New Orleans has a long history of absinthe though, so there are always places to buy it in the city. Some of it is locally made as well. "La Fée Verte" is very popular here. ;)

http://www.feeverte.net/faq-absinthe.html#B2
Absinthe was made illegal in the U.S. in 1912, with the enactment of a pure food and drug regulation to address it. Today, Federal law stipulates that plants which contain Thujone may only be used to make liquor if the finished product is free of Thujone (Code of Federal Regulations, Title 1 Chapter 1). Because the official method used to assay Thujone in such products has a minimum detection limit of 1 mg/kg, a product is for all practical purposes "Thujone-free" if it contains less than 1 mg/kg of Thujone. Absinthe doesn't contain much Thujone, but it does contain more than that, so the production of absinthe in the U.S. is effectively prohibited. Absinthe is one of the few items specifically listed by the U.S. Customs Service as not permissible to bring into the country. To make a long story short, it's illegal to make or sell absinthe in the U.S. and you're not supposed to import it there, which for all intents and purposes excludes absinthe as a legal product.
and do you like older (than 15) scotches, my father in law (her dad) is forever asking me to bring back a tres old scotch when we go back to GB.. i appreciate older rums so i know that it pays off but i don't taste it in scotch, i know, it's just me..
See, I can't taste it as much in rums, ymmv I guess. I'd suggest the Laphroaig or Royale Salut if money isn't an object, or Pinch for a cheaper, albeit great tasting scotch.

Ouzo and Sambuca aren't traditional absinthes, but they taste great and contain the same ingredients. (anise, wormwood, thujone) I like to drink them with the coffee beans. For traditional green absinthe, I usually get local brews, or La Bleue from www.alandia.de.

Mmmm...

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
thanks.. my initial search brought up a lot of absente, not absinthe..
i CAN imagine the real deal being popular in NOLA..

i just did a brainsystemscan and my favorite cocktails/mixers are a
swimming pool
4cl vodka (i got this recipe from a de website.. i remember it being rum..)
2cl blue curacao
2cl cream
10 cl pineapple juice
2cl cream of coconut

and a brandy and champagne
50/50 each ingrediant..

Jung

???
Premium
Now that it's fresh on my mind, I just ordered a bottle of Strong68. I've been meaning to try it, but never have for some reason or other. We'll see how it is in 8-10 days. :thumbsup:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
strong68.. truth in advertising is still alive eh?
all i remember of absinthe in prague is the one time i was in a bar for happy hour(s) for 4 hours before i had to give an english lesson to a CZ banker.. i was with 3 construction labourers from newcastle, england i had just met and they were keen to drink.. i did make it to the lesson on time, he did notice i was fucked up and we spent the hour discussing the prearranged topic.. 'swearing differences in british english and american english' (he had to deal with offices in NY and london), the lesson was a huge success and was duplicated for other TEFL/TESL teachers..
absinthe.. like amnesia you can operate with..

wootness

Banned - What an Asshat!
i know im under age but i like vodka cruisers.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
rum and ginger ale. nice combo.:thumbsup:

i cant stand vodka.:thumbsdn:

meh_it_all

WTF.com Sexy Pimp-ette.
I'm quite the liquor's girl. I don't stand for much else.
JD is high up on my list, so is Vodka, definately not cheap vodka, or death of all vodkas - smirnoff.

I liked tequila shots, while I was doing a whole summer of them, not sure how I feel about them now.

I tried Martini once... and that's the one time I'm doing it :confuse:

i personally liked tequila and rum. tequila i like to be cuervo gold for shots or suaza for mixing. rum i like of course bacardi 151 for shots...parrot pay for mixing except in l.i.t.'s. the 151. fruit drinks can have parrot bay. or shots with a girl.

keebs

Particinator
:thumbsdn: JAGER nasty:sickpuke: :thumbsdn:

but i do like my absolut vodka, 5oclock, or other cheap vodkas suck.

and if your every looking to mix stuff together for taste can never go wrong by having some pucker around.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Finally. A thread that is right up my alley.

First: Bacardi 151. Excellent stuff. Its pretty smooth for a 150+ drink, but ive only done straight shots of it, never mixed. (5 shots during a poker game at a friends house, and i was fairly buzzed... great stuff).

Second: Absinthe. I've already had a little convo with Jung on this, and I'm sure he knows my feelings. For those who dont, absinthe is the greatest stuff on earth. USA sucks for banning it, but perhaps we are a little more sane because of it. Ive tried several different varieties, including the La Fee which Jung mentioned. By far, La Fee was my least favorite. My favorite was Hapsburg, the gold label. 89.9 percent alcohol, 10 mg thujone. PS: I'd been to Alandia thousands of times, but after my computer had a virus in it and I had to switch from IE to Firefox, i lost the site. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention! Maybe ill try a little bit of that 68. 35mg thujone? Sign me up!

Third: Rum. Im a huge Rum and Cokes fan. Anybody who knows me around here can vouch.

Fourth: A few of my own liquor thoughts. Kalua, Vodka, and cream is a dandy. Anybody like the Big Lebowski? Here's something else to try when your at the bar: 1/3 sambuca 1/3 amaretto 1/3 baileys. Ive been preaching that a lot lately, and everybody who tries it, loves it. Thank you, Oxford England!

Fifth: My favorite shots. Goldschlager, Jagermeister, "The tbsrk" (that sambuca/amaretto combination), Crown Royale

Sixth: My least favorite shots. Tequila, Hammerscmidt, Warm Wild Turkey.

*Sigh*... I love this thread.