WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines List of songs deemed inappropriate by Clear Channel following 9/11 Attacks

tzedek

Original Member
link

In the days following the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington, D.C., many television and radio stations altered normal programming in response to the events. During this period, a list of "songs with questionable lyrics" purported to be from radio conglomerate Clear Channel Communications to its subsidiaries began to circulate on the internet. The actual origin of the list within Clear Channel is not clear: some sources claim that a small list was initially generated by program directors at the Clear Channel central office, while others have described it as a "grass-roots" effort among the company's program directors who originated, shared and added to the list via e-mail exchanges. Similarly, the intent of the list is unclear: many versions of the list included text indicating that the songs had been "banned" from airplay, while Clear Channel representatives have consistently stated that the list was the result of informal communication between employees attempting to react appropriately to the situation and was never an official mandate from the corporation to its subsidiaries.

:rant:

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
Don McLean - "American Pie"

Q
All songs by artists beginning with the letter Q are banned!

Rage Against The Machine - all songs
ok ~ some of these songs i can understand. Others I can't

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
_Kitana_ said:
ok ~ some of these songs i can understand. Others I can't
You can understand banning songs that don't violate any laws? I don't even know how to respond to that.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
MaxPower said:
You can understand banning songs that don't violate any laws? I don't even know how to respond to that.
I didn't say I agreed with them. But two days after 9-11 to hear a song like "let the bodies hit floor... let the bodies hit the floor"

I think i can kind of understand their reasoning for chosening not to play it, but now to still have the list?

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I just think that we don't need to "shield" the people of our country from seeing/hearing things that might offend them. As long as it doesn't violate FCC laws, our people can decide for themselves if they want to listen. The on/off switch has 2 positions, and the radio dial goes from 88Mhz to 107Mhz.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
MaxPower said:
I just think that we don't need to "shield" the people of our country from seeing/hearing things that might offend them. As long as it doesn't violate FCC laws, our people can decide for themselves if they want to listen. The on/off switch has 2 positions, and the radio dial goes from 88Mhz to 107Mhz.
well as a radio, t.v. owner the last thing you want is people not listening and watching. I can understand their reasoning for doing it max, i don't agree with it.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
I think there is no reason for that bullshit. That is one of our rights to be able to listen to what we want. They can do that. Anyone who agrees with it better check their rights. As far as im concerned they cant do that.
And most if not all of those songs were made long before 9/11 and therefore have no tie to them so there is further more no reason for it.
That right there pisses me right off. what the next?

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
swizeguy said:
I think there is no reason for that bullshit. That is one of our rights to be able to listen to what we want. They can do that. Anyone who agrees with it better check their rights. As far as im concerned they cant do that.
And most if not all of those songs were made long before 9/11 and therefore have no tie to them so there is further more no reason for it.
That right there pisses me right off. what the next?
there not telling you. You can not listen to it. They are simply chosening not to play them on their radio. There is a diffrents between respect and imposing on your freedom.

I don't agree with it, but I don't feel it my right to yell at them for chosing to do something with their radio station....

I can't see why they would still have the lsit now

swizeguy

How dare you!?
blah im just still in a bad mood about the spongebob thing... lol j/k but really it aggrivates me.. its not right. i dont see how that works in under respect.. and yes i think it is about time to drop the list

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Black Sabbath - war pigs : AWESOME song

Rage against the machine : all songs... hahahahaaha!!!!!!! ridiculous
Rage against the machine owns.

Jimi Hendrix : hey joe : what the fuck is the link between 9/11 and hey joe?

Bullshyt

Devil Without A Cause
_Kitana_ said:
I didn't say I agreed with them. But two days after 9-11 to hear a song like "let the bodies hit floor... let the bodies hit the floor"

I think i can kind of understand their reasoning for chosening not to play it, but now to still have the list?

Kinda ironic that they would do that considering the original singer of that band is dead as well.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
LMAO... Nena's 99 luftballoons? So now the communists are responsible for 9/11?

Also, I want to know why alien ant farms' smooth criminal was banned, but not Michael Jacksons?

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Nena's 99 luftballoons? What?! That's bullshit maaan.
In an act of defiance,I'll just buy the CD.

:mfinger: Clear Channel Communications :mfinger: