WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

lockable gas cap

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
about one year ago i bought a lockable gas cap for my pickup, a few people i knew laughed at me, infact the guy at emission control laughed at me, but gas was going up in price and i wasn't comfortable knowing i had 20 gallons of gas able to be stolen from me.. i'm from england originally and i grew up knowing that you lock your gas up, it's always been so expensive over there.
well yesterday my father-in-law bought one.. out of interest he asked if they've been selling many.. the clerk said that every other customer is getting one..
my point is?
get a lockable gas cap..
a lot less hassle and a lot cheaper than waking up to an empty tank.

(i know this should've been in issues but i felt bad spamming up the front page when there are genuinely important issues that need to be there.)

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Thats a good idea, and I would like to inform you about a fuel antitheft devive being used in some cars now, some cars have a float placed in the fuel fill line which makes it difficult to run a hose in there. I have had difficulty deling with these as i do some work on cars and sometimes need to drain the fuel. I will tell you that i have a few friends witch have gotten home with a full tank of fuel and the next day its down to 3/4. Its a good idea and will also prevent assholes from putting anyother crap in your fuel tank as well.

My advice, locking fuel caps are worth there weight in gold. I stand buy them.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
make sure you get a good one.. from being a former gas attendant.. most of the black plastic ones with the white screw part, the key mechanism only engages or disengages a rod in the center of the cap allowing the hand part to move freely or open the cap... BUT if you simply squeeze hard on the sides of the cap, it has the same effect as a child safety cap.. it opens right up..

EDIT: some of them even have a ridge on the base of them that will move the cap... like I said make sure.. the only locking cap I've ever seen that works is the older metal ones you find on alot of 60s/70s model ford and chevy trucks.. the lock puts out blocking plates on either side of the cap keeping it from moving at all..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
also some manufacturers claim there aren't lockable caps for some models, toyota said there is no cap for my 04 tundra, i went on the tundra forum (yes, such a sad thing exists!) and searched and found that a corvette cap fits, so now i have a small bit of a 'vette.. mmm..

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Darklight said:
make sure you get a good one.. from being a former gas attendant.. most of the black plastic ones with the white screw part, the key mechanism only engages or disengages a rod in the center of the cap allowing the hand part to move freely or open the cap... BUT if you simply squeeze hard on the sides of the cap, it has the same effect as a child safety cap.. it opens right up..

EDIT: some of them even have a ridge on the base of them that will move the cap... like I said make sure.. the only locking cap I've ever seen that works is the older metal ones you find on alot of 60s/70s model ford and chevy trucks.. the lock puts out blocking plates on either side of the cap keeping it from moving at all..
very good point and planted sufficient doubt in me that i went outside to try my cap for failure.. i could not open it without using key (i'm 6'2", contractor), my cap is made from ABS(?) and has absolutely no give to it.. very tough plastic..
wish i could say where i got it but it was online a year ago and they stopped spamming me for shit ages ago.. it was $15.. i wouldn't recommend spending less..

EDIT: i found them, bought mine here..
http://www.rockauto.com/

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
void said:
very good point and planted sufficient doubt in me that i went outside to try my cap for failure.. i could not open it without using key (i'm 6'2", contractor), my cap is made from ABS(?) and has absolutely no give to it.. very tough plastic..
wish i could say where i got it but it was online a year ago and they stopped spamming me for shit ages ago.. it was $15.. i wouldn't recommend spending less..
sounds good.. yeah the locking caps I was referring to is the pointless ones you get from autozone that look like your joe standard gas cap except for the key hole in the middle... they are usually made of PVC and the outter part is rather flexable... givin you sometimes have to use a good amount of force to squeeze em till they move but like I said.. in 1998 when I was a gas attendant, there wasnt a single locking gas cap I couldnt pop...

on the other hand sometimes we would forget to put someones locking gas cap back on so we would keep it around for a while in case the dude came back.. we had a few of them and if someone was REALLY getting on our nerves we would convienently MiStAkE the locking cap for thier own... :D

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
there are the locking doors like these here I know that not every one drives a h2 but this is just a referance. also you can hide things behind the fuel door since the whole thing is locked. just a thought

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
shep said:
those are nice trucks :thumbsup:
my wife and i buy vehicles based on consumer reports recommendations..
tundra 04
prius 05

both kick ridiculous volumes of ass.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
well well us americans are greedy fuckbag assholes so we price gouge for stuff when excuses present themselves and steal from eachother in retaliation... Hence Retail market... Its RetailIation.. :D

Boycott

Soul Doubt
You will. Just wait ;)

I think I'll get a locking cap for my dad, as both of his cars guzzle so much gas (63 Impala, 95 Blazer)... If he gets stolen from it will cost a lot more than if he doesn't.

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
void said:
about one year ago i bought a lockable gas cap for my pickup, a few people i knew laughed at me, infact the guy at emission control laughed at me, but gas was going up in price and i wasn't comfortable knowing i had 20 gallons of gas able to be stolen from me.. i'm from england originally and i grew up knowing that you lock your gas up, it's always been so expensive over there.
well yesterday my father-in-law bought one.. out of interest he asked if they've been selling many.. the clerk said that every other customer is getting one..
my point is?
get a lockable gas cap..
a lot less hassle and a lot cheaper than waking up to an empty tank.

(i know this should've been in issues but i felt bad spamming up the front page when there are genuinely important issues that need to be there.)
the prices in aust have already been extremely high compared to the us, i watched my uncle fill up his huge cadilac on 25 dollars, i thought this was amazing due to the fact that the prices are up to $1.20 a litre, wich is roughly 2.60 a gallon, considering a gallon is 1.4x bigger, so its freaking expensive, but no one steals fuel. surprisingly