WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Logical choice or foolish decision?

ferengi

Yay fire!
Well, I'm back (for real this time, been getting sidetracked lately) for those of you who care.
Anyway, I made a decision recently that I sorta have my doubts about, but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Explanation follows.

I was making my way home for the weekend the Thursday before last, driving my 1993 Chevy Corsica with nearly 100,000 miles on it. This car had been giving me problems recently, and I was beginning to get fed up with it. It had broken down a couple of times, and was becoming very untrustworthy. I thought at least it would make it home for the weekend until I could get something done about it.

I thought wrong.

I had exited I-275 just east of Cincinnati onto I-75. Now mind you, at 5:30pm on a Thursday, I-75 is usually jam-packed with cars flooding into, out of, and through Cincinnati. I was in the center lane of the freeway. Ahead of me there was a wall of cars. Behind me there was a wall of cars. To my left there was a semi-truck. To my right, a small opening had just been created in traffic. Right at that moment, my car completely died. Engine, electronics, power steering, turn signals, hazard lights, brake lights, guages, EVERYTHING went dead. So here I am flying down the interstate at 75mph with absolutely no control of my car, and no way of warning other motorists about my situation. Somehow I managed to get through that opening in traffic, and come to a stop on the shoulder. I still don't know how I did it.

Anyway, after attempting to start my car for about 15 minutes, it finally came back to life, and I was able to make it home. That weekend, I bought a new car. Brand new. My old car trying to kill me like that was the last straw.

I bought a 2005 Ford Focus with 9 miles on it.

The payments are going to be $250 a month for the next 5 years. Only trouble is, being a college student, I don't always have steady cashflow. I have no idea if I'll be able to sustain the payments over the course of those 5 years.

My car used to do the exact same thing.

Die for no apparent reason. Found out the distributor wasn't functioning properly, and had to be replaced.

Janglenut

Particinator
Why would you buy a brand new car;
A: You're a college student.
B: You don't have steady income.
C: A focus?

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Enjoy your new car. You'll be able to keep it, if you sell your body. :thumbsup:

I hear Gehtfuct's interested.

Ah, I used to drive a '93 Corsica. What a pile that thing was.

Was buying a new a car a stupid idea, you ask? I dunno. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Atleast you have a reliable mode of transportation now, right?

CopyLifted

Funnier than a 5th grader
I would say it's a risky deal in your situation. But, what do I know? You needed a car and I say good for you.

Funny thing is, I have an '89 Chevy Beretta GT that I use as my daily driver. Now, I'm not a Chevy man, but this thing has been great to me. Over 210,000 miles on it and it's never let me down.

Sure the heater doesn't work anymore and the drivers side door doesn't open from the outside, but it still runs like a champ. :happysad:

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
I have a Ford Taurus SE and I havent had any problems in the first 30k miles so far. Have fun with your new car. :thumbsup: