WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Discuss logical fallacies in tech advertising.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
I wrote this. Its long. read it if you want. dont read it if you are going to say that it is long, because that is just stupid.

Ad Hominem

In the world of technology, defending the position of power is strongly related to strong media ties. However, when that media allows for a large company to incorporate attacks against the vitality of a smaller company, it reaches a point of logical fallacy. The fallacy of Ad Hominem specifically refers to attacking the person and not the argument. This means that the facts are ignored while the person is shown to be an untrustworthy source. An example of this can be seen in the long technological war between Microsoft and Linux, both of these companies create operating systems for computers. According to John C. Dvork (2004) of PC Magazine, Microsoft has launched an anti Linux campaign that attacks the Linux founder, and not the operating systems ability. Included in this strategy is the attack proposing that: “Linus Torvalds didn't write Linux; it is in fact a compendium of old code that was cobbled together” (www.pcmag.com.) This is aimed directly at the intelligence and ability of the creator of Linux, and not at the actual operating systems capability as a marketable product. No where in the argument does Microsoft state that Linux is defective as a product because it does not work. In fact, the giant Microsoft has yet to make that claim. Instead, they create a myth about the inventor to discount the products achievements.

Appeal to Force

In the continuing battle between the technological giant Microsoft and the stable, yet smaller organization Linux, TechWorld’s Karien McArthy (2004) states that “In fact, following its usual aggressive strategy, Microsoft has subtly started pushing the argument that Linux is just as insecure and buggy but not as targeted by hackers as Microsoft so no one really notices - a wonderful bit of false logic that we can look forward to seeing more frequently soon” (www.techworld.com). Microsoft is committing acts of logical fallacies that often are unseen by the average users eye. This particular logical fallacy reveals an appeal to force, the use of fear to condemn an argued viewpoint. Microsoft inserts the fear that if one utilizes Linux, the users system will be compromised. This is a blatant use of force to push fear of retaliation onto a purchaser, the fear that one’s vital information will no longer be secure, because Linux is insecure as an operating system. The argument maintains that Linux is insecure; however, hackers do not try to attack it as blatantly as they do Microsoft, and therefore the security issues are never recognized. The point is that Microsoft does not allow for any hard data or facts as to why Linux is insecure, and they instead utilize force and fear tactical advertising to denounce the organization publicly.

The Bandwagon

Linux, however, also incorporates logical fallacies into their campaign to gain a foothold in the technology world, Manish Kumar Srivastava (2004), in his article titled Linux for the Corporate User, states that “In the media industry, movie houses like Walt Disney, Pixar Animation Studios and Blue Sky Studios Inc., are all using Linux-based servers or workstations for their digital animation movies in order to reduce cost and increase performance” Srivastava (2004) also states that “Here again, with so many vendors joining the Linux bandwagon, the software available on Linux is increasing rapidly. IBM, Oracle and Sybase are offering a number of software suites that can run on Linux. Besides, there exists plenty of mature open source software which is better than its commercial counterparts” (www.linuxforu.com). This marketable strategy appeals to the desire to utilize software that major industries are using. It surmises that because these major industries are using Linux opposed to Microsoft, that Linux is an option that all corporations should enable in their technological strategy. Linux offers industry specific assumptions that any media type corporation would benefit from the involvement of Linux, because Disney uses it. This is an illogical manner, as it does not maintain a strong process for distributing Linux to corporations, but instead determines that because many companies are jumping onto the Linux bandwagon, it must be better for your company too.

Jung

???
Premium
TL;DR

J/K It's actually pretty good, I'm impressed with the tech talk. :thumbsup:
Repped!

One note though; Linux is for all corporations/businesses and can benifit anyone with a server. I run some MS servers at work, but only because I'm forced to. Linux is far more scaleable, secure, stable and reliable. That's a proven fact. I feel really limited when working with MS servers as well; OpenLDAP/NIS is far more scalable that Active Directory or even Novel.(strictly speaking for domain controllers) I prefer Linux over MS for just about everything, the only reason I even use MS at home is for gaming and very few applications, although I occasionally surf the net in XP.
[/Linux
]

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
Man,that was a long post. Mwaheehee.
Yep. Everybody thought Euro Disney was a good thing too. We know how that turned out. I dunno. Maybe I just didn't follow your post close enough.
To me,it sounds like Microsoft is just doing it's part in keeping their spot in dominating the computer world. I dont know much about Linux. They're just trying to geht their piece of the pie as well,I suppose.

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
junglizm said:
One note though; Linux is for all corporations/businesses and can benifit anyone with a server. I run some MS servers at work, but only because I'm forced to. Linux is far more scaleable, secure, stable and reliable. That's a proven fact. I feel really limited when working with MS servers as well; OpenLDAP/NIS is far more scalable that Active Directory or even Novel.(strictly speaking for domain controllers) I prefer Linux over MS for just about everything, the only reason I even use MS at home is for gaming and very few applications, although I occasionally surf the net in XP.
[/Linux
]
Might that be because Linux is the lesser known to hackers of the two?
Microsux has been suckin' ass much longer than,and has been beat the fuck down by "leet beat-off's" than Linux.

And what the hell does this mean?"[/Linux]" Contradiction,by your part?
And what's with the Hitler bullshit?
Enquiring minds want to know.

Jung

???
Premium
gehtfuct said:
Might that be because Linux is the lesser known to hackers of the two?
Unix/BSD servers have been around a lot longer than Microsoft servers. Unix/BSD/Linux servers make up most of the internet, they're targeted as much, if not more than MS servers. Read bugtraq/antionline/security focus/secure penguin/slashdot and you'll get an idea of how much. The open source community provides for quick patches when exploits surface, in contrast to MS who often takes weeks or months to release proper patches. Linux has proven itself in the corporate enviroment for well over 12 years, MS just simply can't say that.

gehtfuct said:
And what the hell does this mean?"[/Linux]" Contradiction,by your part?
And what's with the Hitler bullshit?
Enquiring minds want to know.
[/whatever] is a close tag, it means "the end" essentially. I was joking; It was meant to say “End Linux nazi talk.”

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
junglizm said:
Unix/BSD servers have been around a lot longer than Microsoft servers. Unix/BSD/Linux servers make up most of the internet, they're targeted as much, if not more than MS servers. Read bugtraq/antionline/security focus/secure penguin/slashdot and you'll get an idea of how much. The open source community provides for quick patches when exploits surface, in contrast to MS who often takes weeks or months to release proper patches. Linux has proven itself in the corporate enviroment for well over 12 years, MS just simply can't say that.

[/whatever] is a close tag, it means "the end" essentially. I was joking; It was meant to say “End Linux nazi talk.”
Duh...And where the hell did you go anyhoo?
You always take off before you post some long drawn out BS.
Again,whats with the "Nazi" shit?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
technically, almost anything ran on ms can be ran on linux, since the way I understand it is that each uses the same base codes for the OS. So, any hack that can get into MS can also get into Linux, and vice versa, however, linux has more intensive coding strategies to prevent hacking. Anyways, that is how I geht it. Who knows, Im not a geek like junglism! LMAO!

I just hate MS because they suck, and I am forced to use them. I hate being forced to do anything. But, one of these days, im going to ween myself from MS dependance.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
TL;DR

J/K It's actually pretty good, I'm impressed with the tech talk. :thumbsup:
Repped!

[/Linux
]

You do know that I did not understand 90% of what you said, but thanks for the rep, geek! LOL Im trying to learn this stuff, and I do thank you very much for the feed back.

Jung

???
Premium
dustinzgirl said:
technically, almost anything ran on ms can be ran on linux, since the way I understand it is that each uses the same base codes for the OS. So, any hack that can get into MS can also get into Linux, and vice versa, however, linux has more intensive coding strategies to prevent hacking. Anyways, that is how I geht it. Who knows, Im not a geek like junglism! LMAO!
Just admit that you don't know the difference.;) *nix and MS are completely different in design. The strucure of Linux is what makes is so secure. MS programs won't run on linux with out the help of Wine, WineX or Code Weavers, and then it's only for office or desktop apps. A server application would be too slow running through that, as it's an emulation. Not to mention that server apps tie deeply into the OS kernel. To run server apps on linux they'd ahve to be daemons specifitcally for Linux or *nix. MS uses services, Linux uses daemons. They're apples and oranges, that'll never change.
gehtfuct said:
I was being a Linux nazi by hating on microsoft. I guess my sarcasm failed. :(

I went to a few other forums, then came back here.

fuck_you

Banned - What an Asshat!
gehtfuct said:
Duh...And where the hell did you go anyhoo?
You always take off before you post some long drawn out BS.

search for "nazi" the majority of the threads have jung in them.

Jung

???
Premium
fuck_you said:
search for "nazi" the majority of the threads have jung in them.
Your statement made me curious. I just did a little search of my own; I found that while I may have posted in threads with "nazi" in them, I wasn't always the one to post it always, or even the one a majority of the time. So, what exactly is your point? Or do you even have one?