WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Long hair

I'm a guy. I have long hair. However, society seems to think that, just because I'm a guy, I should have short hair. People always tell me to get a haircut. Why? Because it "looks clean and neat." That's what they say.

I, however, think I look better with long hair. I take care of it, for the most part. I make sure it's clean, neat, and combed back when I look for a job. But, I'm a guy. Therefore, I'm not allowed to have long hair.

And my hair's not even that long. It curls in the back, so it's down to my shoulders. Just past when it's straight.

All the other guys I know with long hair seem to be unemployed. Why? Because guys with long hair are evil and rebellious..:rolleyes:

I never grew my hair out down to my shoulders, but my boss tells me to get it cut whenever it gets bushy. I've stopped making eye contact with her so she won't ask me again. I believe it's working.

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
The LENGTH of your hair is your decision and, unless it's for your job, it's nobody's business how long you keep it. Now, the problem lies in how CLEAN it is. When I realized I couldn't keep my long hair clean due to my lifestyle, I cut it. Now my hair is just fine where it's at, and I'm gonna grow it out again and try to handle it better this time.

420joe

damn the man
I had a "Ramones" mullet in high school. After the military got through with me I can't stand for it to even touch my ears. I work with a lot of guys with long hair, but in Oregon the hippie thing is pretty accepted.

OmegaZeto said:
The LENGTH of your hair is your decision and, unless it's for your job, it's nobody's business how long you keep it. Now, the problem lies in how CLEAN it is. When I realized I couldn't keep my long hair clean due to my lifestyle, I cut it. Now my hair is just fine where it's at, and I'm gonna grow it out again and try to handle it better this time.
With the job I have now, and all the jobs I've had in the past, keeping my hair clean has always been a bitch.

But, I always wash it when I get home, only to get it dirty again the next day. Fun.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
maybe.. in some places long hair is still an issue but i think in all the big metros long hair is just another nothing..

when i was a teen in the early '80s i was a long haired freak.. i got suspended from high school because my hair was 24" long.. fuck them anyway.. this was 1982 when the only people with long hair were into satan and drugs.. i never met satan but i met a bunch of drugs.. i kept the hair until '87.. since then i have kept it cropped for ease of use..

i think the big problem with long hair is that it shows you have a individual streak, no matter how slim, and some employers/cops/gf's dads find that a threat..

GamerGuy87

I am sexy...Oh yea...
I've never had a problem with my laong hair...But my hair has never gone past my chin and it's straight...Kinda like Future Trunks from DBZ...Man, DBZ was an awesome show.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Whenever one of my ex-girlfriends would see a guy with long hair, she'd go up and braid it. Didn't matter whether he wanted her to or not, by the end, he looked like a pretty pretty princess.

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
how bout you cut your hair, land a job and then grow it again?
i mean once they employ you, they cant fire you for having long hair, right?

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
GamerGuy87 said:
I've never had a problem with my laong hair...But my hair has never gone past my chin and it's straight...Kinda like Future Trunks from DBZ...Man, DBZ was an awesome show.
Haha, yes it was. In middle school. Then I grew up and started watching only the Japanese versions of REAL anime shows like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, NGE, Love Hina, Lain, Chobits... The real good stuff. DBZ and ANY other anime with 3276515 episodes is SHIT compared to the 13-30 episode Titans like the ones I mentioned above.
There's also the fact that if you are watching the American version of DBZ, half the actual content of each episode is cut out and what is left of each episode is stretched across TWO episodes as filler. If you watch the Jap version (the REAL one, not the Japanese Language track on the DVD releases!) you get the original bloody content, profanity-laced dialog, and incredibly good music, but the quality of the video/sound is always super low.

Can't wait for the next anime giant to come along. And no, it's not Bleach.

Easty

Click click boom
yeah, i used to have long hair, but then i realized how much effort it took to keep up with it and actually make it halfway presentable. next, someone told me i looked like michael moore, and that did it. short hair and a goatee.

personally, i'm one of those people who judges you for your character, not your appearance. working at a restaurant with ex-cons and tattoo masterpieces has taught me to do such a thing. and it works!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Boycott

Soul Doubt
My hair is getting fairly long... I like a mop, but not too long... People tell me to cut mine too, but its barely at my shoulders... *shrug* I personally think I look better with bangs covering my face :p

i go through stages, like i wont cut my hair for bout 3 years then I cut it and keep it short for bout a year. right now its been about 6 months not cutting it.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
skullmaster said:
how bout you cut your hair, land a job and then grow it again?
i mean once they employ you, they cant fire you for having long hair, right?
Actually, they can. If they hire you into a position with customer contact then a certain expectation can be made that you will continue to reasonably keep the same image. So if you are well groomed and have shorter hair, they can have reasonable expectations that you will continue to have short hair and keep roughly the same image. However, if you have long hair when they hire you, they can not dictate that you cut it after you're hired. However... They can always make it a condition of employment as long as it's spelled out in the employment offer. Now if their offer is not contingent on getting it cut, then at a later point in time they can not dictate that you get it cut.

I've had hair down to my waist for over ten years and have never had any issues with employment. I did however get bored with it, as well as tired of having to do so much to keep it healthy, so one day I decided to go with the short spiky messy look.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Long hair is actually considered the "acceptable modelling hair style" now a days. I mean, take a look at most of the ads you see for things like clothes, fragrances, adult video stores, etc. Most of the dudes have long hair. If not long, then at least not short (buzz-type and the likes.)

I say, be proud of your long hair! Buy a leather jacket and a Harley!

Sulik

I'm serious, no?
It's ok to have long hair. It's personal taste after all. But sometime I saw a sweet long hair around, and was so disappointed that it's a guy (shame for me!).
And make sure your long hair doesn't hinder your works and stuffs.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
Can be bad if you have long hair in the construction industry. If it ain't your boss saying it's bad for health and safety issues, it's your co-working ripping the piss instead. I used to have longish hair around the age of 12. But it has been short ever since. Less maintenance in the morning. :p

What can I say, I'm a lazy bastard!

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
i've had long hair since i left high school. i look terrible with my hair short. nobody's complained about it to me yet.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I know exactly what you mean Unforgiven! I too have long hair, to the middle of my back. I have had hard times getting employment and I too get the "Why don't you cut your hair" speeches. It's amazing how shallow people are. I get mistaken for a girl from the back because I have hair??? Kids in stores ask their moms if I'm a girl or a guy. It's fucking retarded.

If an employer asks me to cut my hair to get hired, I don't take the job. This job I currently have, dealing with the public, I keep it in a pony and it's all good. Why do people have to be like that?

I'm growing out my hair. Before, I had it short and spikey. My barber is made the hair on the sides of my head relatively long. So now my hair is at my eyes and almost covering. I'm growing it over my eyes at least, but now it looks bad when its just straight so I kinda hafta comb it a little bit to the side. It looks ok though :thumbsup:

Nobodys criticized me yet about it. Except for this one random kid at school who asked me "Why do you comb your hair to the side". I simply said "Because otherwise it would look bad" :happysad:

Also, I always find my self flipping my hair back into place or running my hands through it from the front. Very inconveinent.