WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe "Lost" city of Atlantis?

Do you think Atlantis exists/existed?

• Total voters

Quitii

Spank {the monkey}
ok well i was thinking about it today and noticed no threads on atlantis... so what yall think? is it real? does it still exist? what happened to all the people and technology? you have 30 seconds... GO!:gun:

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
A team of experts believes it could be close to unravelling the millennia-old myth of the Lost City of Atlantis and is launching an expedition to the seas west of Gibraltar to test its theory.

The team is led by eminent pre-historian Professor Jacques Collina-Girard, aided by the two men who led the expeditions to the Titanic.

They believe that using a combination of literary pointers and geological evidence they have pinned the lost city's location to just west of the Straits of Gibraltar, on a submerged mud shoal now known as Spartel Island.

The story of Atlantis, a fabled utopia destroyed in ancient times, has captured the imagination of scholars ever since it was first described by the philosopher Plato more than 2,000 years ago.

His depiction of a land of fabulous wealth, advanced civilisation and natural beauty has spurred many adventurers to seek out its location.

Debate rages over where it may lie, with it being placed variously near Cuba, off the coast of Devon, near The Azores or slap bang in the middle of the Atlantic.

"The area looks just like Plato described it - sitting right outside the Pillars of Hercules. As soon as I saw it I thought 'Oh my God this is it!' In fact I couldn't believe no-one had drawn this conclusion before," team member Paul-Henri Nargeolet told BBC News Online.

Plato made the first written references to Atlantis in 360BC:

"There was an island situated in front of the Pillars of Hercules; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together," he said in his Timaeus dialogue.

He explained that the island "was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent".

Source

i wonder who bought camera rights on the voyage surely discovery channel will try to get on board to document. or even national geographic

R

RedOctober

There is loads of shit told about Atlantis, you can place it anywhere..
Every guy who wants to earn a few bucks easily writes a book about it and sells. A sort of Dan Brown succes.

I can easily make you believe that Atlantis was in the North Sea.
The early Dutch even copied their ideas to build dikes, levees and canals to keep the water under control.. ;)

Great Brittain was connected to the European mainland, and the river Thames once did stream across the plains of Atlantis.. ;)
Wuhaha..

BTW
The newest book is about that Atlantis was in Indonesia.. Pathetic!!

Quitii

Spank {the monkey}
kinda lame... i got a news article from one and a comment saying how much of bullshit the news aritcle could be... come on im looking for your PERSONAL thoughts on atlantis

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
You first, what are yours?

You can't just come in here and ask us and not share.

I am not your show pony!

Quitii

Spank {the monkey}
BklynCannonball said:
I am not your show pony!
yes you are... and i think its quite possible that it exists still. kinda like when your lookin all over for your keys and they're in your hand/pocket the whole time... maybe people are actually living in atlantis now, and dont even know it.

One story i read said that the first person ever with red hair was some royalty from atlantis... so possibly ireland? stereotypical irish person has red hair so why not? just an idea, thought, possibility, w/e. even though it wouldnt follow plato's description, what says its not a possibility?

Piro

Quitii said:
yes you are... and i think its quite possible that it exists still. kinda like when your lookin all over for your keys and they're in your hand/pocket the whole time... maybe people are actually living in atlantis now, and dont even know it.

One story i read said that the first person ever with red hair was some royalty from atlantis... so possibly ireland? stereotypical irish person has red hair so why not? just an idea, thought, possibility, w/e. even though it wouldnt follow plato's description, what says its not a possibility?
i dont know what is more full of shit, the news article or you. i suppose ireland could fit in with it, they say atlantis was full of treasure and ireland has lepricons :lol: "wheres me pot 'er gold?"

Quitii

Spank {the monkey}
Piro said:
i dont know what is more full of shit, the news article or you.
I don't appreciate that, especially when i said it was an IDEA, SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT

BklynCannonball

One story I read said that redheads were actually aliens.

But that's an interesting concept, that people are living in Atlantis as we speak. It wouldn't explain that it sank though.

I'm sorry I have nothing to add to the theory, I know there are others on WTF that are knowledgeable on the subject.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
I find it insteresting that most cultures have an "atlantis" type myth. Even in the legends of King Arthur and such, the Isle d'Lyoness was said to rise from the sea every 10 years (or something like that) then sink beneath the water again. The people of ancient south america even had a myth of an island that was washed over by the angered gods.

But I think it was actually a colony of ancient irish who were at the pinnacle of evolution and technology until they invented beer. (saw a story about that, made sense to me, cant' remember where though)

Piro

Tostig said:
But I think it was actually a colony of ancient irish who were at the pinnacle of evolution and technology until they invented beer. (saw a story about that, made sense to me, cant' remember where though)
It was whiskey. Family Guy.

Jung

???
Premium
Quitii said:
what happened to all the people and technology? you have 30 seconds... GO!:gun:
They (the ancients) unfortunately had to sink the city near the end of the Wraith war, after their super weapon backfired on them. The city has since risen, is safe and well, and we are learning about their technology... somewhat. Those goddamn Wraith keep fucking things up though. :mad:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i've often thought it was simply map making errors.. that in early times the cartographers mapped out, say tanzania, then sailed back to find it and accidently/mistakenly went to the atlantic instead.. then found it wasn't there, decried the loss of the land, that story evolves over time to the point where somehow we lost a great civilization..

Quitii

Spank {the monkey}
void said:
...cartographers mapped out, say tanzania, then sailed back to find it and accidently/mistakenly went to the atlantic instead...
interesting idea i like that one

R

RedOctober

Well..
First of all, it was a story told by a Greek, from heresay that...
There was a great civilization once, where the Greeks were a buch of lazy goatfuckers.. Of course that's the story to tell the Greeks that they should be strong, work hard, and fight like devils, and not spend their time boozing wine and penetrating their friends' ass. (Greek love)
Later on, a sarcastic story was heard by a bunch of morons, who believed it to be true, like all other fairy tales, including stories like about giants in the bible.

If there are some traces of Atlantis, why not in Europe itself?
Why the fuck aren't there pyramids in Europe?
It the Atlantians would have been that smart, they'd have superior skills like making weapons, building ships, but why build a Pyramid?
It doesn't make sense at all!

And even the secret room beneath the Sfynx is utter crap.
There may be a room, but why so much fuzz about it?
What's in there? A secret war control centre of the ice age?
Come on!

In Egypt there was nowhere any sign of Atlantis. If it were such a big thing, there should have been even grafitty on the walls about it!

Something like "Fuck Atlantis" or something.
The same thing as "Yankees go home" or "ROMANI ITE DOMVM"

BklynCannonball

For someone who claims to read a lot, your spelling and grammar sucks.

I really dont believe in Atlantis. I don't have any real proof to believe in it. Like, I want some thing real I dont want "maybe's or could-be's". Beleiving in Atlantis is like believeing in the Toothfairy, or Santa, or the Easter Bunny.

Jung

???
Premium
Jessica43999 said:
Beleiving in Atlantis is like believeing in the Toothfairy, or Santa, or the Easter Bunny.
Or god...