WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Lost nuclear bomb possibly found

ron

Buster of Asses
Holy batshit, batman! At the height of the Cold War the US Air force lost a nuclear weapon 46 years ago and the device might have been found recently. Well, was it found or not? How the fuck does one lose a nuclear weapon anyway, zoomie? Are we reporting the news or reporting that, at some time in the future, we might have news to report? Slow fucking news day?

We might have the full report at the following link:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/13/lost.bomb/

An Air Force investigation concluded in 2001 that the bomb is probably harmless if left where it is. It also said a recovery operation could set off the conventional explosives in the bomb that would put the recovery crew at risk and do serious environmental damage.

Harmless? Harmless? They don't think that sitting in the ocean for 46 years, emitting dangerous radiation, was harmful to the environment? Fucking incompetence blows my mind! Recover the nuclear weapon, you pinheads! Too late now, though. Now they're worried that someone might get blown up in a recovery attempt.

If they knew where to search 46 years later, why didn't they recover the bomb after the accident happened? Of course, now it will probably just lay there until the sea washes their little problem away. Your tax dollars hard at work.

tzedek

Original Member
on a side note, what is the difference between a nuclear bomb and an atomic bomb (if there is a difference)?

A group led by retired Air Force Lt. Col. Derek Duke of Statesboro, Georgia, said in July that it had found a large object underwater near Savannah that was emitting high levels of radioactivity, according to an Associated Press report.
sounds pretty "harmless" to me...

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
hmm.. maybe an anti-hurricane nuke...

Descent

Hella Constipated
I tend to agree that it may be harmless. However, if we get an Earthquake, you can say hello to cancer. There are not too many things in the ocean that can trigger it...

Oh, and by the way, A-Bombs only emit radiation when they are discharged. When not exploding, they are totally harmless.

ron

Buster of Asses
jstager said:
I tend to agree that it may be harmless. However, if we get an Earthquake, you can say hello to cancer. There are not too many things in the ocean that can trigger it...

Oh, and by the way, A-Bombs only emit radiation when they are discharged. When not exploding, they are totally harmless.
Or when the shielding has cracked or is otherwise damaged...

mariusthegreat

:: What Ebonics ::
so thats where the three eyed fishy from the simpsons came.....hmm.....
on a serious note tho...they have super sophisticated machines ..robots...that will retreive fuckin porcelain dolls from the titanic...why cant they send some sort of robot to dismatle the triggers..so that they may retrieve the urunium....maybe it might not be worth it?? i hear un-enriched uranium is easy to come across now adays....pop in your local walgreens.....its the enriched uranium you need to worry about..youll need prescription for that...