WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

m4a-mp3 converters

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
my friend just gave me 6 data c.d.s, filled with m4a music files, sorted into folders by artist and album. the problem is that I have to put then onto my mp3 player. I've been searching google for about 2 1/2 hours, and still cand find a (free) program. Does anyone know of one that I could use?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
From a quick google of 'm4a opensource' I saw that the m4a extension could also known as mp4. I may be wrong, and probably am, as the internet often lies, no matter what the 13 year-old girls in chat rooms tell you. Just as a slight rule of googling, I've often found that using the word 'Free' in any of my searches is just absolutely pointless.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
BrIONwoshMunky said:
From a quick google of 'm4a opensource' I saw that the m4a extension could also known as mp4. I may be wrong, and probably am, as the internet often lies, no matter what the 13 year-old girls in chat rooms tell you. Just as a slight rule of googling, I've often found that using the word 'Free' in any of my searches is just absolutely pointless.
i'm pretty sure you're right on that.

i'm pretty sure that converting the file may be legal, however, i know when you download songs in iTunes it is mp4, im not sure about other sources so doing this may technically be illegal

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
Just as a slight rule of googling, I've often found that using the word 'Free' in any of my searches is just absolutely pointless.
I always make sure that I use "+freeware". weeds out all the "free download" ad thingys.

i'm pretty sure that converting the file may be legal, however, i know when you download songs in iTunes it is mp4, im not sure about other sources so doing this may technically be illegal
when you download from itunes, it's a m4u file format, I believe. My friend ripped the c.d. with winamp or wmp, I can't remember.

jamesp

In Memory...
Dude, quit typing and read. WizardlyFriendly already told you, correctly, that the answer to your problems is iTunes. It is free and easy to use.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

/me enters teacher mode.

m4a is a winamp file format, whereas mp4 is iTunes. But iTunes converts between almost all (with the possible exception of Matroska files) formats to mp4. So the problem is moot, get iTunes, stop crying. <-(j/k)

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Do a google search for "Tools a pirating bastard would use"