WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Macy pulls plates off shelves due to "body-shaming"

TooSmartGuile

Tenderony

A single tweet complaining about novelty plates that measured food portions by "skinny jeans," "favorite jeans" and "mom jeans" prompted Macy's to drop the product only hours later.

Alie Ward, a science reporter and podcast host based in Los Angeles, was walking by the flagship Macy's store on 34th Street in New York City when she saw the plates in a display window.

Ward was taken aback by what she saw as body-shaming messaging, especially for people who struggle with their weight or have eating disorders.

"It's such a gross sentiment and also very out of touch with what's fashionable right now," she said.

Four hours later, Macy's apologized for having "missed the mark" and said it would remove the plates, which were available only at the New York City location.

• 1Face Palm
Reactions: CoprophagousCop

ib4

Error
Staff
I don't mean to break the rules here by making a one word post, so that's why I am telling you that I'm not meaning to break the rules here...

but...

WOW.

• 1WTF!?
Reactions: YogurtExplosion

Stardust

How am I still alive
Premium
People need to learn how to control their weight instead of getting mad at things like this.
While I wholeheartedly agree with your sentence, that plate is ridiculous in portion size (how big it, I don’t know, but it the skinny jeans ring looks tiny), nonetheless it’s insane to be so butthurt about something to trivial.

On another note, I’m going to start a twitter called “shortieislife” and threaten to sue anyone who uses short jokes also lord over who’s short enough, or too short to be in my click, because as everyone knows I’m the most important person and should be bowed to.

Stardust

How am I still alive
Premium
^ I have a short attention span. Can I be in your thing you posted about.
Of course! We’ll be the deciding overlords, bullying other shorts if they’re not short enough or how we always have it worst in this unfair heightcentric world.

TooSmartGuile

Tenderony
If corporations can make decisions like this at the drop of a dime, and they're poised to take center stage in our capitalist society, then I'm very afraid of a corporate-centered future. I like capitalism, but man, recent trends make me so afraid. I think, even if I have to spend more, I'm going to consider shopping at small businesses more. Take some power from Wal-Mart and Amazon and Macy's.

YogurtExplosion

Sniper Wolf
If corporations can make decisions like this at the drop of a dime, and they're poised to take center stage in our capitalist society, then I'm very afraid of a corporate-centered future. I like capitalism, but man, recent trends make me so afraid. I think, even if I have to spend more, I'm going to consider shopping at small businesses more. Take some power from Wal-Mart and Amazon and Macy's.
If small businesses can't have the same quality as big stores, then they deserve to die.

TooSmartGuile

Tenderony
If small businesses can't have the same quality as big stores, then they deserve to die.
What qualities would you want in a big business then? Do you think small business can consistently keep that quality?

I'd like quality from small businesses, but I think it's far too much to expect a lot. Although, I would need better customer service from a small business than a large one.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
I think, Max, that Macy's was trying for the opposite. This offended the large people, and the teeny Macy's marketing department was afraid of being sat upon.
My point is, people get bent out of shape over things that were never meant to offend. There's plenty of shit to actually get offended by these days. Like homelessness, expensive healthcare and the Kardashians. My guess is the same people who pat themselves on the back for anti-momjeans activism, never bother to make any useful effort to rid the world of the aforementioned abominations.

YogurtExplosion

Sniper Wolf
What qualities would you want in a big business then?
Good quality products. A large variety of products. Fast shipping. Cheap shipping. Plenty of nearby stores I can quickly get to.

Do you think small business can consistently keep that quality?
Yes. Small businesses can thrive and get bigger. Big business can lose quality and fail. Being a small business is no excuse for being bad. Even Amazon started out as a small business selling books and became #1.

• 1Like
Reactions: Stardust