WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Music Mainstream?

Gosh. I just hate it when my friends call me mainstream. See, I've been listening to Jimmy Eat World since their CD, Clarity, came out. Now that J.E.W. is relatively famous they call me mainstream. They supposedly listen to "indie" music. Now... when a band is "indie" and becomes popular, they're sellouts/mainstream? To me, if its good music, its good music.

--------------------
SIG W.I.P.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
MrNiceGuy said:
Gosh. I just hate it when my friends call me mainstream. See, I've been listening to Jimmy Eat World since their CD, Clarity, came out. Now that J.E.W. is relatively famous they call me mainstream. They supposedly listen to "indie" music. Now... when a band is "indie" and becomes popular, they're sellouts/mainstream? To me, if its good music, its good music.

--------------------
SIG W.I.P.
I'm tired of the old fuckers callin me a gen X'r.

i_love_life

16/f/ca!!!1 omg!!1!!@!1
That is because you are mainstream in my eyes, my friend. if you are going to listen to Jimmy Eat world, do not talk music with your friends. Indie rock is not all mainstream, although modest mouse seems to be doing a good job of it. A good way to tell if a band is mainstream is....if they are on MTV, they are mainstream. You can like the music, but if you love the music, you, my friend, are mainstream.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
whats wrong with liking mainstream music? is being "mainstream" uncool?
So what if you buy CD's at best buy instead of some grimy cd/head shop that smells like pachulli?

blah

Tenderony
Funny thing is. When all your friends listen to Indie, in their group it is considered mainstream, and you will be special. The Mainstream idea is really stupid. Nowadays mainstream shifted from pop to rock, and from rock to R&b, back to pop, and now...? In my opinion mainstream isn't a national thing. It's a group/region thing. Over here we have 3 crowds of people. MTV people (dance, trance, pop, r&b) Rock/Metal people and Trance/Techno people. They each are mainstream and sell just as many cd's yet only the first group is considered true mainstream.
MTV is commercial, not mainstream, you don't see them playing Slipknot and Korn all day, yet there are just as many fans of Slipknot as of Christina Aguilera, go figure...

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
MrNiceGuy said:

--------------------
SIG W.I.P.
Not trying to affend you or anything but this is my opinion. I think Jimmy Eat World sux. They can't sing. I liked one song and that was the first one they played on the radio. Then when I heard thier other songs...OMG! Ewww. They suck at singing.

blah

Tenderony
I like Jimmy eat World plenty, like the entire album. Pretty bad acronym though :)

Thanks for the feed back. ^_^ Its just that I don't like it when people lable others based on their preferences... but such is human nature.

I got their album today. :-D