WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Male Bass in Potomac Producing Eggs

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Washington Post

MOOREFIELD, W.Va. -- The South Branch of the Potomac River is as clear as bottled water here, where it rolls over a bed of smooth stones about 230 miles upstream from Washington. But there is a mystery beneath this glassy surface.

Many of the river's male bass are producing eggs.

Scientists believe this inversion of nature is being caused by pollution in the water. But they say the exact culprit is still unknown: It might be chicken estrogen left over in poultry manure, or perhaps human hormones dumped in the river with processed sewage. Chances are, it is not something that federal and state inspectors regularly test for in local waters.

The discovery has made the South Branch the latest example of an emerging national problem: Hormones, drugs and other man-made pollutants appear to be interfering with the chemical signals that make fish grow and reproduce.

While researchers look for answers in West Virginia, other scientists are testing Rock Creek, and another group is seeking financial support to test the rest of the Potomac to see whether they can find the same troubling effects downstream.

"Whatever's doing this to the fish may be the canary in the mineshaft," said Margaret Janes, a West Virginia activist with the Appalachian Center for the Economy and the Environment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, that is NOT right. Sounds like a "real" problem....

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
This is was news what five years ago? Lord!

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Everything OLD is NEW again.

...broken, thinks he's the "smartest" bitch on the planet...grumble, grumble, arg, arg...

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
voiceofreason said:
Everything OLD is NEW again.

...broken, thinks he's the "smartest" bitch on the planet...grumble, grumble, arg, arg...

No, Broken knows he's a dipstick, but dammit I keep trying..

The little Broken that could

Broken said:
No, Broken knows he's a dipstick, but dammit I keep trying..

The little Broken that could

I think I can,
I think I can,
I think it's spam.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Yes ladies, we want a piece of that action too.