WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Man arrested, cuffed after using $2 bills

Jung

???
Premium
Man arrested, cuffed after using $2 bills
Best Buy customer on being jailed: 'At this point, I'm a mass murderer'

World Net Daily | April 8 2005

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43685

A man trying to pay a fee using $2 bills was arrested, handcuffed and taken to jail after clerks at a Best Buy store questioned the currency's legitimacy and called police.

According to an account in the Baltimore Sun, 57-year-old Mike Bolesta was shocked to find himself taken to the Baltimore County lockup in Cockeysville, Md., where he was handcuffed to a pole for three hours while the U.S. Secret Service was called to weigh in on the case.

Bolesta told the Sun: "I am 6 feet 5 inches tall, and I felt like 8 inches high. To be handcuffed, to have all those people looking on, to be cuffed to a pole – and to know you haven't done anything wrong. And me, with a brother, Joe, who spent 33 years on the city police force. It was humiliating."

After Best Buy personnel reportedly told Bolesta he would not be charged for the installation of a stereo in his son's car, he received a call from the store saying it was in fact charging him the fee. As a means of protest, Bolesta decided to pay the $114 bill using 57 crisp, new $2 bills.

As the owner of Capital City Student Tours, the Baltimore resident has a hearty supply of the uncommon currency. He often gives the bills to students who take his tours for meal money.

"The kids don't see that many $2 bills, so they think this is the greatest thing in the world," Bolesta says. "They don't want to spend 'em. They want to save 'em. I've been doing this since I started the company. So I'm thinking, 'I'll stage my little comic protest. I'll pay the $114 with $2 bills.'"

Bolesta explained what happened when he presented the bills to the cashier at Best Buy Feb. 20.

"She looked at the $2 bills and told me, 'I don't have to take these if I don't want to.' I said, 'If you don't, I'm leaving. I've tried to pay my bill twice. You don't want these bills, you can sue me.' So she took the money – like she's doing me a favor."

Bolesta says the cashier marked each bill with a pen. Other store employees began to gather, a few of them asking, "Are these real?"

"Of course they are," Bolesta said. "They're legal tender."

According to the Sun report, the police arrest report noted one employee noticed some smearing of ink on the bills. That's when the cops were called. One officer reportedly noticed the bills ran in sequential order.

Said Bolesta: "I told them, 'I'm a tour operator. I've got thousands of these bills. I get them from my bank. You got a problem, call the bank.' I'm sitting there in a chair. The store's full of people watching this. All of a sudden, he's standing me up and handcuffing me behind my back, telling me, 'We have to do this until we get it straightened out.'

"Meanwhile, everybody's looking at me. I've lived here 18 years. I'm hoping my kids don't walk in and see this. And I'm saying, 'I can't believe you're doing this. I'm paying with legal American money.'"

Bolesta was taken to the lockup, where he sat handcuffed to a pole and in leg irons while the Secret Service was called.

"At this point," he says, "I'm a mass murderer."

Secret Service agent Leigh Turner eventually arrived and declared the bills legitimate, adding, according to the police report, "Sometimes ink on money can smear."

Commenting on the incident, Baltimore County police spokesman Bill Toohey told the Sun: "It's a sign that we're all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world."
Fucking ridiculous. You'd think that cashiers would at least be required to know what is and isn't legal tender. I hope this guy sues the police for public humiliation and false arrest. The cops should've handled it a bit better than that.

Couldnt agree more. Thats fucking pathetic, even i've been looked at in wierd ways when i pay for things with a high note such as a $100 note. I like his style though, I love to go through annoying people's checkouts and dump $20 worth of 5c, 10c, 20c, and 50c pieces.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
He should have paid the bill in pennies. This guy now has an opportunity to sue Best Buy.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
junglizm said:
Fucking ridiculous. You'd think that cashiers would at least be required to know what is and isn't legal tender. I hope this guy sues the police for public humiliation and false arrest. The cops should've handled it a bit better than that.
agreed thats crazy

gehtfuct

HuGE
Staff
I haven't seen a two dollar bill since...like 1987? I can bet that 95% of the members here,have never seen one. So you can imagine that they might look kind of odd.

The handling of the situation is just sheer stupidity.
How dare they blame their fucktardedness on 9-11.

I've got about 4 , $2 bills.

I had more, but I bought booze. :thumbsdn:

Boycott

Soul Doubt
WTF how do they say this is because of 9/11... Its because it was probably a bratty 16 year old at the cashier that didn't want to count out 57 2 dollar bills ... Do you think people seriously go around thinking "Oh my god its a man with 57 2 dollar bills! I'm scared!"

Omfg, 2 dollar bills have no life threatening features unless there were razor blades on them, or on fire, or had some sort of biological weapon on them.

the 9/11 comment was just plain stupid.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I used to get em all the time working at a gas station.. that and 20s from 1920s are a lighter green... never the less I'd have the store in every local paper and each employee responsable in court as well as police.
i mean there are some dumb criminals in the world but would someone honestly counterfit 57 2 dollar bills in sequential order and pass em all at one store? i would be happy to get em all and buy em out of the register for my own use...

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
they;re still pritning em, i saw one pritned in 2003. yeh, but that is complete BS. habeous corpus. id sue for false improsonment cause youd definitely get some sweet government cash

blw72887

Just a poster
Just when I thought I heard it all, wonder if Fox News will put this on their "out there" articles..lol

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
Woodreaux said:
He should have paid the bill in pennies. This guy now has an opportunity to sue Best Buy.
I'd go after all of them. Drag BestBuy, the cops, and that little smart ass cashier into court.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
This is patheticly sad, people not knowing what is or isn't legal currency.

And on another note, $2 bills are very common in strip-clubs. Buy a drink with a $10 or $20 and be amused to see $2 bills making up your change.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
BRiT said:
This is patheticly sad, people not knowing what is or isn't legal currency.

And on another note, $2 bills are very common in strip-clubs. Buy a drink with a $10 or $20 and be amused to see $2 bills making up your change.
Damn, makes good sense. If the smallest bill you got to slip in her G-string is a 2 you just doubled her profits.

Who said strip club owners were morons?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
junglizm said:
Ive never seen a 2 dollar bill. I would have thought the same. But, DC Cops should KNOW better.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
junglizm said:
Fucking ridiculous. You'd think that cashiers would at least be required to know what is and isn't legal tender.
And then you'd think that COPS would know what's legal and what not! It's like last month I got arrested for going 70km/h in a 50 zone, but it was actually a 70 zone and the cop argued it was 50 until he just suddently let me go. I double checked, and it was a 70 zone.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Blaming their stupidity on 9/11 angers me. :mfinger:

Speaking of paying in small units of currency, my friend bought a cell phone for $80 (don't ask where he got it from :) ) and paid for part of it entirely in quarters. $30, in quarters. Fucking hilarious to hear him jingle around all day :thumbsup:

Sad its not the First

This isnt the first time some one has been arrested for using two dollar bills. I read in the paper some one was arrested for using a two dollar bill to buy food at McDonalds. The only difference is that the cops were smart enough to know that they are legal tender. So the manager apologized and gave the guy free food so he wouldn't sue. Its a sad world. :bonk: