WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat Man dies after online game marathon

Slacker

Postaholic
South Korea- A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing online battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play on-line games on August 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.
Computers are addictive these days. He quit his job just to play more video games. He played a tournament non-stop and died when he got home because of heart failure.

Link

It's not the first time. There was one guy I heard about that was playing an RPG game like Everquest or something, he finally got up to go to the bathroom after days of playing and died right outside the bathroom. It's pretty sad.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I'm kinda glad i keep my allnighters to about 2 a week. MMORPG's, ORPG', MMOFPS's and the like can get verry addicting, and i my self have had to chose between killing that last dude, or getting 4 hours of sleep. In my case, it's a self control thing. I dont think I understand how someone could chose a game over a job. Well i do hope people lighten up with there games, i know i will, a little.

Slacker

Postaholic
The longest I have been on a computer is on wtf.com. I was on for say a little over 40 hours. But of course I got up and made a quick snack and went back on the computer. But I was on other sites and shit. But I can handle it and he can't. Of course I slept for 15 hours which was my fault.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
shit I did a 7 day long computer fest once but still went to bed each night...

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Linksy said:
The longest I have been on a computer is on wtf.com. I was on for say a little over 40 hours. But of course I got up and made a quick snack and went back on the computer. But I was on other sites and shit. But I can handle it and he can't. Of course I slept for 15 hours which was my fault.

wait a scond here, theres this thing called sudden death. Theres no real reason why some one dies but they die. And the weird part is that doing things like the 30-60 hour straight might do damage to your body. When i was in boot camp 2 kids died to sudden death, not a heart attack, not realy anything, they just died. The way i see it if i have to do something for 30 hours strate, i will lose intrest in it. This is a "kick in the pants" kinda thing that every one should learn from. The human body was never ment to do shit like that, and i know the argument "I'm just sitting in front of a computer not moving much this cant be that stressful." Gess what, that can be just as, if not more than, physical activities. Is getting that last level trully worth your life?

Linksy said:
Computers are addictive these days. He quit his job just to play more video games. He played a tournament non-stop and died when he got home because of heart failure.

Link
Yeah, baby! That's DEDICATION, right there! Uh huh! That's MOTIVATION, baby! Fuck no, he ain't gonna let no little heart failure freak him out...GET IN THERE AND PLAY THOSE GAMES, you friendless little basement dwellers!!

:) I love you guys.

Slacker

Postaholic
FlipTheState said:
Yeah, baby! That's DEDICATION, right there! Uh huh! That's MOTIVATION, baby! Fuck no, he ain't gonna let no little heart failure freak him out...GET IN THERE AND PLAY THOSE GAMES, you friendless little basement dwellers!!

Right there is a hard core gamer. I wouldnt risk dying over a game.

leehype said:
wait a scond here, theres this thing called sudden death. Theres no real reason why some one dies but they die. And the weird part is that doing things like the 30-60 hour straight might do damage to your body. When i was in boot camp 2 kids died to sudden death, not a heart attack, not realy anything, they just died. The way i see it if i have to do something for 30 hours strate, i will lose intrest in it. This is a "kick in the pants" kinda thing that every one should learn from. The human body was never ment to do shit like that, and i know the argument "I'm just sitting in front of a computer not moving much this cant be that stressful." Gess what, that can be just as, if not more than, physical activities. Is getting that last level trully worth your life?
After a while you get used to it. If it's habit than your body gets used to it and won't break down. I do it a lot.

Linksy said:
Right thur(SP) is a hard core gamer. I wouldnt risk dying over a game.
I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny or not. If you are trying to be funny, then you are failing miserably. If you are being serious, then you fail at seeing some of the most retardedly obvious sarcasm i've ever seen.
After a while you get used to it. If it's a habbit(SP) than your body gets used to it and won't brake(SP) down. I do it alot(SP).
No, your body doesn't "get used to it", your body wears down. Eventually it falls over and dies. Also, your spelling could be better.

Slacker

Postaholic
canadian_pov said:
I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny or not. If you are trying to be funny, then you are failing miserably. If you are being serious, then you fail at seeing some of the most retardedly obvious sarcasm i've ever seen.

No, your body doesn't "get used to it", your body wears down. Eventually it falls over and dies. Also, your spelling could be better.
Well I get right to it, now if you don't mind can you get back on topic. :thumbsup:

FlipTheState said:

I love me too. :happysad:

Linksy said:
Well I get right to it, now if you don't mind can you get back on topic.
canadian_pov said:
No, your body doesn't "get used to it", your body wears down. Eventually it falls over and dies.
Tell me that's off-topic.
But seriously, to all the nerdy little obsessive MMORPG players, GO THE FUCK OUTSIDE!!! Get up, go outside, and fucking DO something. Jesus fuck, eat a sandwich motherfucker!!! Goddamit, food is essential to LIFE. Don't you want to LIVE???

Pssst...
/me whispers: Did anyone notice that Descent created this same thread earlier? hahaha to not using the search button. :dunce:

Seriously, sometimes shit happens. It especially likes happening to stupid people. The guy was probably 200+ lbs overwieght, had a pre-existing heart condition, ate three meat-lover's pizzas every day and then washed it down with a good old 2 liter of Jolt.
You know, this reminds me of 2000. I was in Tokyo with some friends and we were screwing around in an arcade. One of the guys was playing this game where you sit in the booth and the screen is all huge...all of the sudden he falls on the floor and starts twitching. Son of a bitch was having a grand mal seizure! Never had a seizure in his life before that...he was like 24-25.
No point...just another freaky video game story.

man, i can't even spend 4 hours on a computer before i get bored. The longest time i've played ont he computer was when i was playing joint ops for like 3 hours....man that game is fun....

MMORPGs suck.

Slacker

Postaholic
FlipTheState said:
Pssst...
/me whispers: Did anyone notice that Descent created this same thread earlier? hahaha to not using the search button. :dunce:

No actually I did it before him and i told him that look at the time. :thumbsup:

Slacker

Postaholic
FlipTheState said:
Pssst...

Seriously, sometimes shit happens. It especially likes happening to stupid people. The guy was probably 200+ lbs overwieght, had a pre-existing heart condition, ate three meat-lover's pizzas every day and then washed it down with a good old 2 liter of Jolt.
You know, this reminds me of 2000. I was in Tokyo with some friends and we were screwing around in an arcade. One of the guys was playing this game where you sit in the booth and the screen is all huge...all of the sudden he falls on the floor and starts twitching. Son of a bitch was having a grand mal seizure! Never had a seizure in his life before that...he was like 24-25.
No point...just another freaky video game story.
It's surprising how people get addicted to McDonalds and pizza. I eat McDonalds when it is my only and last choice. My uncle is 750 pounds look what all this junk did to him. But games are so addicting to. I've seen people cry if they lose at a game it is pathetic.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
One can only hope the guy was good at the game! Hopefully he won the thing, because he certainly paid for it!