WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Mario takes another shot to the pie.

necro

Postaholic
Nintendo.com review

Continuing the tradition started by such games as Mario Power Tennis and Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Mario Superstar Baseball brings a new brand of fun to the world of baseball! Mario Superstar Baseball's intuitive hitting system, easy-to-learn fielding and pitching controls and wild, character-specific power moves go together like peanuts and bleacher seats. Mario Superstar Baseball delivers a terrific arcade-like experience that will appeal to baseball novices and hardcore fans alike.

Features

* Build your dream team from dozens of classic Nintendo characters
* Brilliant controls
* Character-inspired fields with Chain-Chomps, Piranha Plants, rolling barrels and other challenges
* Go yard in the Bob-Omb Derby, sharpen your skills in four other great minigames
* Four-player zaniness on the wacky Toy Field

Players can try their hands at the single-player Challenge Mode, where they must wander the land clearing baseball-related trials. This mode gives you plenty of opportunities to nab special items and teammates by winning three-inning games, minigames and offbeat challenges from Boswer Jr.

It always deserves repeating how gorgeous Mario games are. Everything from Peach's dress to the closely cropped hedges veining the outfield of the Peach Garden stadium looks polished and professional.

Mario Superstar Baseball gives you a lot of flexibility in filling out your lineup card. The 50-plus available characters include all-arounders like Mario, Luigi, Daisy, Shy Guy and Koopa Troopa. Technical players include Peach, Boo, Toadsworth and Dry Bones (swinging a bone for a bat, Dry Bone makes his first appearance in a sports title). The speedster squad stars Yoshi, Diddy Kong, Baby Luigi (good field, lousy bat) and Paragoomba (a Goomba with itty-bitty wings). The roster of power players has expanded beyond the usual heavyweight suspects -- Wario, Donkey Kong and Bowser -- to include Blue Pianta (from Super Mario Sunshine) and King Boo.

The wacky fields are filled with hazards and power-ups that can kill or ignite a rally in the wink of an eye. Piranha Plants nab balls rolling in Yoshi's field. Dust devils play havoc with pop flies in Wario's desert park. Barrels roll across Donkey Kong's home field. Balls easily get lost in the carefully trimmed hedges of Peach's park.

The controls are simple and intuitive. Press Up on the Control Stick to upper-cut the ball. Hold A for a power swing. Be warned, though, that you are more likely to miss. Mario Superstar Baseball deftly handles base running via the Control Stick. For example, press Up and Y to have a player on first barrel into second. Press Y by itself to have all players advance.

Press down and hold the Control Stick to tie up a batter with a change-up. Guide the pitch in mid-air by manipulating the stick. Press R and A to unload a specialty pitch. For example, Yoshi tosses an egg that bounces crazily across the plate!

The minigames for one to four players enhance your power-hitting, bat-control, base running, pitching and pickoff skills, and are a lot of fun to boot. Especially wacky is the Toy Field, a free-for-all in which players hit balls at targets in the outfield to earn coins and other prizes.

Bottom Line

Mario Superstar Baseball is a fantastically fun baseball game. Look for it August 29 -- just as the pennant chase really heats up!
As the line between pathetic and sickening thins, the Mario series sucks up another game that sounds like it is going to suck. Additionally, as said by Descent a couple times, Nintendo is adressing the young audience. Personally, Mario Golf on the N64 was bad enough that I never wanted to touch another sports game from his crew again. Now this. And as we all know, Nintendo has come out with like 6 Mario Party games, which by the most retarded decision ever, never should have ascent beyond 2.

I honestly can't see why, or where Nintendo is getting these ideas. They suck! It smells like shit to me, another $49.99 last ditch attempt to make something work. Well, all I can say is step up, or shut up. Nintendo's games are buried deeper in the sand by the day. Bad move, asshats :thumbsdn:

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
mario = gay.... anymore mario has been degraded to less then a QVC host... he would be better at selling rabbit shit looking jewlry then video games...

necro

Postaholic
Darklight said:
mario = gay.... anymore mario has been degraded to less then a QVC host... he would be better at selling rabbit shit looking jewlry then video games...
Ah, mario games blow now, but back in the day, when you were completley 2D...Pimp shit. Even Mario 64 was cool, but I've gotta vote after M64 his games blew

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
mario, nintendo et al have yet to produce much that's inspiring for today's gamers.

there have been some pretty major games on the gamecube ( eternal darkness, re4) but they have little to do with nintendo themselves.
i have had all three of the present gen consoles and found nintendo and microsoft just don't have the games i like, but that's just my preference. but the nintendo thing.. general consensus is that they cater solely to kids, while that isn't true i have to ask, what is wrong with doing that IF THEY DID IT WELL? i've played mario party games, golf and others.. they get old very quickly..

nintendo has just two bullets in the chamber.. wario and the ds.. it might be time for them to bury mario and give up on consoles.

Janglenut

Particinator
Mario Party is fun as hell.

My opinion, but yet again you do have to have people to play them with....

And, Mario Kart Double Dash has been some fun for as of late, 2P racing is fun. :D

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i agree mario party was fun as hell, i played it with my wife and a few bottles of wine.. but don't you agree it gets old quick? there's a limit to how many times i could abide bowser or whoever making up his own rules.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Go into your local Target and watch the kids line-up to play the newest Mario Baseball game. And then you'll understand why Nintendo gears their mario games towards younger crowds. And really, little kids like baseball, just as much as adults, but aren't intuitive enough to be able to play the "older" sports games as well as their elder counterparts, and thus require a "dumbed-down" version; Mario!

;)

necro

Postaholic
I know the little bastards queue up behind the tv and walk away with neck cramps, But the point was that Nintendo is stooping to an all time low and creating games I wouldn't want when I was younger. They are going to eat shit if they don't come out with better games, mature games. That's all there is to say about it.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Mario Tennis was hella fun. I remember we used to do 2v2 drunken tournaments at my place, it was pretty intense. You get bored after an hour though, but nonetheless it was fun to play with other people, for a little while.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I grew up on mario 3, and i think that was the last good mario game out. When i got an n 64, My game options were eather Conkers bad fur day, or Pod racer. I think the mario thing has been dead a long time. Gamecube has had some good titles, and i do own one (not saying much as i own all the systems) but I think ps2 is geared more for my age braket.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
necro said:
I know the little bastards queue up behind the tv and walk away with neck cramps, But the point was that Nintendo is stooping to an all time low and creating games I wouldn't want when I was younger. They are going to eat shit if they don't come out with better games, mature games. That's all there is to say about it.

How is Nintendo stooping to an all-time low when they are offering up games geared towards a generation that other systems seem to negelct. The point is that Nintendo is capitalizing on the fact that PS2/Xbox orient their games for older crowds and no one pays attention to the little guys.

So, when you were younger you wanted to play games like Halo, Gran Tourismo 4, etc. instead of playing games that were simple and more colorful? I can tell you right now that no 10 year old is going to understand the concepts behind drifting, rally racing, *simple* aerodynamics, racing dynamics, braking, accelerating, passing, etc (to name a few involved in GT4), whereas they can play Mario Kart Super Extreme 10,000 and mash a single button and go, go, go!

Janglenut

Particinator
Fire_ze_Missles said:
So, when you were younger you wanted to play games like Halo,
Bet you any money my little brother will whoop your ass in halo. I've trained that little kid up like no other.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i loved mario tennis and golf. i don't play those games anymore, but they were good games IMO

Descent

Hella Constipated
*cringe*

Another reason Miyamoto has been losing me as a fan lately...First the horrible "Cell-da" game, now this.

I can't believe Mario's become a fucking sellout...At least Yuji Naka probobly won't whore out Sonic The Hedgehog :(.

Why do all good things have to come to an end? God, I miss the 16-bit days.

I'm looking at my bookshelf with 25 Genesis games in plastic and cardboard boxes (I just inherited some recently), and considering I have numerous more without, and that only one game I own sucks (Last Battle), it's hard to know that today the first thing I do in a GameStop is head for the now-gone used cartridge section, because the walls are lined with CRAP.

I never threw anything out. When the market crashes, my buddies will be coming to me to relive their past, because I have it all on one cart.

FzM said:
How is Nintendo stooping to an all-time low when they are offering up games geared towards a generation that other systems seem to negelct. The point is that Nintendo is capitalizing on the fact that PS2/Xbox orient their games for older crowds and no one pays attention to the little guys.

So, when you were younger you wanted to play games like Halo, Gran Tourismo 4, etc. instead of playing games that were simple and more colorful? I can tell you right now that no 10 year old is going to understand the concepts behind drifting, rally racing, *simple* aerodynamics, racing dynamics, braking, accelerating, passing, etc (to name a few involved in GT4), whereas they can play Mario Kart Super Extreme 10,000 and mash a single button and go, go, go!
They could do BOTH markets at once. Like with the N64. Which I owned back in the day.

The Dreamcast *KINDA* did that, but it isn't a kids system because it's proprietary discs are beyond fragile. I still get the willies changing games, lemme put it that way. 650MB for CD Audio and 1.2GB for game data, on one layer. Food for thought.

But after Dreamcast was raped by the technically inferior PS2, I bought a Cube and have been regretting it for YEARS now.

I thought it would be another N64. But it turned out to be another Saturn, except that unlike the Staurn it sucked ass. And I've never owned a Saturn.

necro said:
I wouldn't want those either, man. Granted, I was a Genesis owner, but I never judged SNES until I actually owned one.

And you know what?

SUPER NINTENDO KICKS ASS! GOD DAMN IT, THE KIDDIE GAMES ON THAT FUCKING OWN!

BEST VERSION OF MARIO KART EVER.

I still don't own Super Mario World, but I'm too lazy to pick it up. I'll get it eventually, just that with GameStop outta the field I don't want to deal with the hassles of eBay...

Janglenut

Particinator
Descent, the only thing you said that made sense in your post was the fact that Super Nintendo owns. The rest was sega bullshit, and a failure to adapt to the changing tide.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Janglenut said:
Descent, the only thing you said that made sense in your post was the fact that Super Nintendo owns. The rest was sega bullshit, and a failure to adapt to the changing tide.
What? No, you dumbass, it was market analysis. Re-read my post - I said the N64 and Dreamcast did both market roles but the GameCube only does one.

If you're trying to start shit this isn't the place.

necro

Postaholic
I never owned a Dreamcast, I thought the controls blew. I just never liked it for some odd reason. Nor did I any of the Sega platforms. Oh well, win some, lose some..

But the N64 did market a bunch of games which were fun for the young bucks, I.E. the mario games, diddy kong racing, donkey kong titles, etc. etc. But they had mature titles, such as the south park games, which the teen age group could enjoy, as well as the older, immature people in college and such. The N64 had the right idea, Gamecube is just taking the mickey.

Bill_Gates

Lord of Bad Posting...
All right read everyones post bout nintendo and what not, Nintendo in my thoughts will not survie the next-gen console race..I think the Ps3 and the 360, The Rev...Though may not be for adults. But what kid can affrod the price i`m guessing 350 Dollars, Correct me if i`m wrong..But what parent wants to pay the for a kid?...When the gamecube came down the 99 dollars i had enough trouble getting my parents to buy it, But that`s beside the point...The point here is Nintendo will not survie the Next-Gen Race, No matter how good thier games are....And Sony is taking over Nintendos Protable Realm, I think nintendo should really just give it up and devolp games.

Bill_Gates said:
All right read everyones post bout nintendo and what not, Nintendo in my thoughts will not survie the next-gen console race..I think the Ps3 and the 360, The Rev...Though may not be for adults. But what kid can affrod the price i`m guessing 350 Dollars, Correct me if i`m wrong..But what parent wants to pay the for a kid?
I know people who's parents buy them cars for no particular reason.
I know one kid who's mom bought him a mustang. Then he got pissed off at her because it was automatic transmission.

Personally, it annoys me when people buy their kids whatever the hell they want. My parents would spend no more than 50 bucks on my christmas and birthday presents. Everything I have, I worked for.

Bill_Gates

Lord of Bad Posting...
Yea me too, My parents said they help me buy a car, But that`s about it..Good chance i proably wont get anything fancy.