WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Mars

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way
Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can
only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last
5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens
again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within
34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest
object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will
appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

On August 27 Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in
the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no
human being has seen in recorded history.

Found that and thought there might be somebody interested in taking a look.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
ya, I'm there. I love that stuff. Ya know what else is cool. I'm still going to wear my aluminum foil hat though.

Any of you who never saw this before, try this. If you live where you can see the sky real well, like away from light pollution; go outside just after late dusk. Just when the sky is starting to look black. Stare at one spot in the sky for a while. It could take a few minutes. Eventually you may see something move in your peripheral vision. Look in that direction and you'll see what looks like a fairly rapidly moving, very faint star. That is most likely a satellite. You can't really confuse it with a plane, because you can easily tell it's very far away. You’ll know what I mean when you see it. You only have a couple of hours after dusk though because all those passing above you will soon be in the earths shadow. The reason why you can see them is because the sun is illuminating them, as it does the moon.

ferengi

Yay fire!
This is supposed to happen tomorrow night?
(I love stuff like this... meteor showers... space... stars... astronomy... all that crap.)

I like this stuff too...hehe people used to call me nerd because i was really interested in space and planets and shit like that...oh well i still am.....i think my school is holding a viewing to see it....I'm going for sure

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
I'm there man, thanks for posting this... I love space shit. :)