WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines McCain passes amendment to end torture of detainees; Bush threatens veto

Jung

???
Premium
If you look at the Army Field Manual's section on interrogation techniques, you will find an enlightening little passage on the subject of "coercive" interrogation, which says in part:

The use of force, mental torture, threats, insults, or exposure to unpleasant and inhumane treatment of any kind is prohibited by law and is neither authorized nor condoned by the US Government. Experience indicates that the use of force is not necessary to gain the cooperation of sources for interrogation. Therefore, the use of force is a poor technique, as it yields unreliable results, may damage subsequent collection efforts, and can induce the source to say whatever he thinks the interrogator wants to hear.​

Here is the short version of the article which follows from this point: Early in the "War on Terror", the Bush Administration made a decision that the U.S. military would not be bound by the Geneva Convention in the fights that were to come. When the fights came, the "detainees" that the military picked up were met with treatment that some supporters of the Bush Administration called "coercive" and some other persons called "torture".

Yesterday evening, John McCain passed an amendment to the next military appropriations bill which if followed would end such practices by simply requiring the treatment of detainees to be held to the standards in the Army field manual. Bush claims he's going to veto it. This would mean the first, and so far only, veto of Bush's entire presidency would be performed in support of torture.

Read the full article.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
what a legacy this guy is leaving for the repubs.. hopefully he will shit in the nest so much we won't have to suffer them again for quite a while..

and i assume 'bush' in this article is rove as usual.. taking out as many targets as he can before they take the gun off him..

jamesp

In Memory...
Im supprised that a senator didn't try to pass a bill like this earlier, and after the Downing Street memo, I can see Bush vetoing it.

It is appalling to me that there is even a debate over this. Torture isn't really a reliable way of getting information, and innocent people are commonly mistaken for terrorists (Maher Arar, for example).

Bush must realize that he is trying to perpetuate torture by those under his command. There is no excuse for electing such an individual, who appears to have no sense of moral, ethics, or a concience, to high office. What kind of sick, twisted little fuckdoodle likes to torture people for little benefit?

I mean, fuck on a stick and smoke it, I hate that monkey of an individual.

Sorry for the Bush rant, I know you've all heard it before, but this just pisses me off so fucking much.

Anyway, this will probably look good for McCain, who has been touted as a candidate for the next presidential election. So the 'shit in the nest effect' won't stop him getting elected.

Who would YOU have voted for: Kerry or McCain?

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
At the rate the GOP is going, the entire party will be behind bars before the next midturn elections. Too bad they aren't being sent to Angola.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Consider the sources.

McCain was actually a solidier, a POW.

Bush was a shirking draft dodger, who said he wanted to be a pilot, but didn't bother to show up for his physical.

Who's advice should we take?

voiceofreason said:
Consider the sources.

McCain was actually a solidier, a POW.

Bush was a shirking draft dodger, who said he wanted to be a pilot, but didn't bother to show up for his physical.

Who's advice should we take?
Shit, I didn't even think of that.

McCain has experienced torture, he is infinitely more qualified to speak about it than that fucked up little cocksucker Bush.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
mcCain has to get past fristenstein first.. and he has the power of jeebus..

void said:
mcCain has to get past fristenstein first.. and he has the power of jeebus..
Jeebus, eh?
I think McCain could do it, largely because I like him.