WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Medical Mystery: Baby Spontaneously Combusts

SilkKnitter

SNIFF
(CNN-IBN) — A 3-month-old baby in New Delhi that catches fire repeatedly suffers from a rare medical condition called spontaneous human combustion.

According to CNN-IBN, Rahul first caught fire when he was only 9 days old. Since then, it has happened at least 3 more times. Doctors say, the fires could be a result of his skin emitting combustible gases.

The doctors have advised Rahul’s parents to keep the baby away from inflammable substances and to keep him in a climate controlled room at all times.

Rahul’s parents – shocked with all that’s happening to their newborn baby – are now hoping for a medical miracle.

“Doctors are saying that they can’t do anything to cure him but can only treat his injuries. I have lost everything. The government should come forward and help us,” said the baby’s father.

The baby is now being kept under observation while the doctors try to fathom this medical mystery.

Link

This is sad yet amazing. It raises many questions. Is this a demon spawn? Is the the anti-christ? Is the government really going to conduct testing? Supernatural? Why a newborn? My questions are cold and awkward and I have a lot of them.

• 2WTF!?
Reactions: jujubee and Masquerade

Bitch

Evil Fluffy says: I PEE IN YOUR SHOES!
Premium
I do feel awful for this family. I can't imagine what they are going through. Though, I'm not sure how they expect the government to help them. Spontaneous human combustion is a medical mystery. If anyone knew how to stop it from happening, I'm sure they'd have stopped this baby's episodes by now. However, at least they are offering the best advice they can. I'm sure no one wants to see that baby coming in with more spontaneous combustion burns. I don't think the doctors giving that advice even knows for sure if keeping the baby in a cooler climate will stop the episodes form reoccurring. It just sounds like a common sense suggestion.

Hopefully, the advice helps. How scary that would be. I mean, what if that child gets to school age. Will they have to keep him away from the science lab? What about being near other parents that smoke or kids that smoke (hopefully not, but it does happen)? There would just be too much to worry about. That boy would have to be in a bubble if he lasts that long.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Masquerade

Masquerade

Banned - What an Asshat!
On a brighter note, a genetic marker for autism spectrum disorders has been identified, and there should soon be a high accuracy test for said genetic marker.

On a yellow note, @SilkKnitter, are you seriously suggesting that this baby is supernatural?

On a dark note, this baby will suffer and then it will die, and humanity at large will not benefit through his suffering.

SilkKnitter

SNIFF
On a brighter note, a genetic marker for autism spectrum disorders has been identified, and there should soon be a high accuracy test for said genetic marker.

On a yellow note, @SilkKnitter, are you seriously suggesting that this baby is supernatural?

On a dark note, this baby will suffer and then it will die, and humanity at large will not benefit through his suffering.
No. I was just trying to provoke conversation. I think the baby is really an alien spawn. ;)

SilkKnitter

SNIFF
After reading the links the jujubee posted, it really does make me wonder if it is a supernatural thing. Like some sort of failing evolution or something. It is definitely a Fringe case here. Maybe like the movie 'Firestarter' or something.

Just a far out thought that can be taken into consideration with an open mind.

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
After reading the links the jujubee posted, it really does make me wonder if it is a supernatural thing. Like some sort of failing evolution or something. It is definitely a Fringe case here. Maybe like the movie 'Firestarter' or something.

Just a far out thought that can be taken into consideration with an open mind.
Well, it sure make me curious, I'll probably go back and see what else is out there that's recent. Notice a commonality, however, in no real tangible documentation or study. -I read about it another time, now ages ago and it was just as disturbing, you know, lots of compelling, crazy folk lore but all couched in hazy, murky detail. I dunno, never knew what to think of that stuff but it's interesting reading. Poor lil' baby, whatever happened to him.:/ Shit, here in the US, CPS would have him, would never have put him in a climate controlled environment and press would be a circus, climbing all over his not having combusted again yet.:p