WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Memory

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Any good or bad experiences with different kinds of memory modules? Also do you still have to "build memory evenly"? If I have a 512 MB stick in one bank can I put a 1GB in the other or do I have to do 2 512s or 2 1GB?

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
It is preferable to use similar chips to build your memory, but I've personally never had problems with uneven chips.

As for "certain kinds" of memory, if you ever use RAMBUS, ONLY use the "error correcting" type. The non-correcting type is literally worthless. It causes your PC to crash uncontrollably regardless of the situation.

Jung

???
Premium
As long as you get the same speed RAM you should be fine. I usually buy matched pairs for overclocking, but anything will work.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Thanks for answering y'all. I think I'll just add another 512 for now. The machine runs good anyway even though it's running several Oracle databases. It just slows down a bit when I get a large .NET project open and about 10 or 12 other windows open for looking at test results in. :eek:

What about makers? PNY, Kingston anybody notice any difference in quality or anything?

I guess that you can tell I'm not one that's big on doing much hardware wise. I just know enough about it to add what I need when I need it. I really hate to dig around inside a machine.

Jung

???
Premium
I've been a loyal Corsair fan for years, I usually buy their XMS line but their Value Select line is good if you don't plan on overclocking. OCZ is another good company, I've bought their products before and been happy. Crucial is supposedly pretty good as well, but I've had no experience with them personally.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Thanks again Junglizm. I found Crucial yesterday and they had pretty good prices. I'll check out the others that you listed. Maybe while I got all this crap pulled out I'll get me something to get all of these damn cables under control too. That crap drives me buggy.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
I have bought my good amount of Crusial memory and never had any problems.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I too have bought a lot of Crucial memory. It's good stuff. Made locally. They ship fast and have a great warranty program that's easy to use.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Thanks y'all! I think I'm going to order me some crucial. :thumbsup:

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
Ordered a 1 gig module from Crucial. Bastards are part of Micron and they have an entity here so I have to pay sales tax. Got free shipping though.

Now I gotta set aside a night just to swap out some things from one PC to another. I gotta move a bunch of files from one hard drive to another in an older PC then take the hard drive with all of the files on it out and move it to the new PC. New PCs floppy drive never has worked so I think it got unplugged or never di get plugged up gotta fix that.

Then I gotta put the new memory in another PC.

Wouldn't be so bad except for all the dang wires, a limited amount of space and crap like that. Oh well.....let me stop. I'm sure I have bored you enough.

Thanks again to everybody who made up my mind for me though. :D