WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Michael Powell and the FCC - High-Definition TV by 2008? WTF?!

Descent

Hella Constipated
I'm ranting about this now, because this is NOT going to fucking work out.

When we got our entertainment system back in '03, HDTV's are just as pricey as they are now.

With widescreen (16:9, 720 Progressive Scan) HDTV being the dominant standard so far from TV networks, this is ridiculous. Standard size (4:3, 1080 Interlaced Scan HDTV), supports so many devices that are on the market already, and have been on for years, that I highly doubt people will actually enjoy widescreen TV's once they haul them in and set them up.

How am I supposed to play Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on my Sega Genesis if half of my fucking displays are cut off in 16:9? They all have an "EXPAND 4:3" option, but then you lose your life and score gauges, among other things.

Even worse, the current generation game systems such as PlayStation 2, XBox, and GameCube are all designed for widescreen on the hardware level - but not all games support it. The increased graphical resolution puts a HUGE strain on their video chips, as well as their processors.

What the FCC has done is created a monstrosity - the current standard we use, NTSC U (National Television Standards Comitee USA), is the most common around the globe! NTSC J (NTSC Japan, same standard, different region coding, 100% compatible), NTSC M (Latin America?), there are more countries that use NTSC than any other standard combined. This will not only make DVD retailing A PAIN IN THE FUCKING ASS due to the adoption of region free DVD's that are appearing now, but now I'll need a fucking Japanese NTSC adapter for my next generation game console if worse comes to worse, same with my DVD or Blu-Ray player.

At least the FCC was nice enough to approve converter boxes that will allow your current NTSC based TV to work in High-Def...But I, for one, will not be upgrading in 2008.

My 20" Apex television works fine. You know what the best part is? It has the sharpest, most vibrant, best looking picture I've seen to date, and it only cost me $120 back in '02.

There is no way I will pay $375 for a new TV that my Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Sega Dreamcast, or any of my other hardware will not take to, or designed for.

Michael Powell has created a monstrosity - the only current TRUE advantage I can see to forcing HDTV upon us is the fact that I can finally use my fucking computer on my telly - but I really don't care too much. I have this little thing called a "monitor" for that. Anyway, my current TV broadcasts my games fine, why would I give a fuck?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Your rant makes absolutely no sense. Why would you have to stretch out your 4:3 screen? Just to make the little black bars disappear? Whoop deee fuckin dooo. Play your game with some black on the sides of the screen.

Jung

???
Premium
I don't think anyone else will see this as an issue, and I had a hard time following most of it. I'm dumping this is the Entertainment forums, for lack of a better place.

But, I see no need for crying about new technology; this world is based upon it, you either embrace it, or you get left behind. I, for one, can't wait for HDTV to be standard (Then again I own one. ;)), HDTV content is scarce these days, and comes at a decent premium.

Btw, they're not that expensive.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
i udnerstand completely what you are takling about descent! :thumbsup:

recently the Conan Obrien show made the switch into widescreen. he made a joke, i hope it was a joke, saying that like 8% of americans have HDTV and widescreens so that is why they did it or something. i dont know, im not that annoyed by the bars at the bottom. i honestly hate the bars at the side when watching a full screen on a widescreen then watching a widescreen on a full screen. but that's just me.

i also still dont get how they can make the same movie into a fullscreen and a widescreen. do they just cut out part of the fullscreen to themake the widescreen. or do they stretch it?

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
WizardlyFriend said:
i udnerstand completely what you are takling about descent! :thumbsup:

recently the Conan Obrien show made the switch into widescreen. he made a joke, i hope it was a joke, saying that like 8% of americans have HDTV and widescreens so that is why they did it or something. i dont know, im not that annoyed by the bars at the bottom. i honestly hate the bars at the side when watching a full screen on a widescreen then watching a widescreen on a full screen. but that's just me.

i also still dont get how they can make the same movie into a fullscreen and a widescreen. do they just cut out part of the fullscreen to themake the widescreen. or do they stretch it?
They butcher the sides off of the Widescreen... WHen have you ever gone to the movies and watched one in 4:3?

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
good point. then they must unstretch it for regular screen casue i dont think they would add anything.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
They don't stretch or unstretch anything.

A widescreen format movie has the sides still intact.

A "Full Screen" format movie has had the sides of the widscreen chopped of. Sometimes you lose nearly 30% of the original. :thumbsdn:

Descent

Hella Constipated
BWM said:
Your rant makes absolutely no sense. Why would you have to stretch out your 4:3 screen? Just to make the little black bars disappear? Whoop deee fuckin dooo. Play your game with some black on the sides of the screen.
The point here is that my "new" 20" 16:9 TV will be like a 13" or something, much smaller, and no fun if you ask me.

Junglizm said:
Btw, they're not that expensive.
Are you an unemployed minor? I mean, honestly, you and many other people miss that point every time I post something that I say is "expensive."

Oh, and by the way, don't just say "Get a job" because finding a good paying job for minors in NY State is like trying to find a hooker without an STD in the projects.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Are you an unemployed minor? I mean, honestly, you and many other people miss that point every time I post something that I say is "expensive."

Oh, and by the way, don't just say "Get a job" because finding a good paying job for minors in NY State is like trying to find a hooker without an STD in the projects.
I wasn't directing it at you, per say, just saying. It's not like HDTVs will completely take over the world and murder all the analog TVs anyway. You'll still play your games just fine. Besides, unemployed minors have employed parents...

This isn't going to be a sudden change or anything, and HDTV prices drop almost monthly.

Descent

Hella Constipated
JNG said:
I wasn't directing it at you, per say, just saying. It's not like HDTVs will completely take over the world and murder all the analog TVs anyway. You'll still play your games just fine. Besides, unemployed minors have employed parents...

This isn't going to be a sudden change or anything, and HDTV prices drop almost monthly.
I mean, sure, I'm for a technological change, but not when the leading change so far (16:9) will interfere with mine and a couple hundred million people's operations.

I'll be getting 1080i, because:

#1: Edges out 720p for computer display for some things, mainly ultra-high-res displaying

#2: It's 4:3, and I can use all my old shit without losing size.

I feel like my current setup will be CCCP 1.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
OK, if your Pan and Scan feature works, it's going to act in much the same way as a Full Screen format movie. It's just going to chop the sides off and blow up the image. Which means you'll be seeing the exact same thing you would've before they started using 16:9 format. If however you would use a 16:9 you'd be getting more than you are used too.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
I mean, sure, I'm for a technological change, but not when the leading change so far (16:9) will interfere with mine and a couple hundred million people's operations.
Well, for starters I doubt it will interfere with a couple hundred million people at all. The vast majority of TV users don't give a shit one way or the other. Those that play video games will have two choices: black bars or buying a regular television set. It's going to phase in over time.

And saying it's going to be horrible is just silly. CD's have all but eliminated Audio Cassettes. Yet in many cars, the Audio Tape is still standard equipment.

DVD's have all but replaced the VCR. Nobody buys shit on VHS. Do you really feel like going back?

New technology simply means that some folks will have to adjust. You will have to learn to play your old video games with black bars or just not replace the television you obviously already have.

Descent

Hella Constipated
BWM said:
OK, if your Pan and Scan feature works, it's going to act in much the same way as a Full Screen format movie. It's just going to chop the sides off and blow up the image. Which means you'll be seeing the exact same thing you would've before they started using 16:9 format. If however you would use a 16:9 you'd be getting more than you are used too.
Haven't you ever heard of a HUD?

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Do you even know what you are talking about?

You're keeping your 4:3 display.

You're not going to HAVE to buy a 16:9 television to view broadcast programming. If they even broadcast in 16:9, you'll just be getting more picture on your television if you letterbox it. If you don't want to look at the letterboxes, you'll just see your normal 4:3 display. The zoom feature or Pan and Scan or whatever option the HDTV reciever has will just chop the edges off.

On a 4:3 display, you are going to see exactly what you've always seen. With a 16:9 display, you'll see more. It really isn't that difficult. Your HUD will still be exactly as it is now.

Descent

Hella Constipated
BWM said:
Actually, you missed my point. I know damn well that 4:3 and 16:9 are compatible, I have a 55" Phillips HDTV projection TV downstairs that could make Bill Gates cum.

I'm saying that if I'm going to spend all that fucking money on a new TV, I want it to work with my old shit with no limitations. If I buy a 20" HDTV that is 16:9, it's 20" diagonally on a more rectangular screen. If I buy a 20" HDTV that is 4:3, it is 20" diagonally on a more square shaped screen. And most of it's uses will consist of a 4:3 ratio.

However, standard television won't be as available for 1080i, which somewhat defeats the purpose of upgrading. Also, I have the issue of my older 16-bit games becoming super-pixelated, which is somewhat of an issue on my Apex, but it could be worse.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Descent said:
I'm saying that if I'm going to spend all that fucking money on a new TV, I want it to work with my old shit with no limitations.
Dude, if that was how the world of technology worked we'd still be using DOS

As things get newer, the old shit gets less and less support. That's how life is.

You have to admit, few people actually play the old games anymore. You're in the minority. There will come a time when you can't play those games anymore. I know, I know... settle down, it's ok. But eventually your console will break or die or whatever and you won't be able to find a replacement. Or we'll move to view methods that are beyond the capability of your consoles to even connect too. This is the life of technology. It all has to die some day.

Descent

Hella Constipated
UberSkippy said:
Dude, if that was how the world of technology worked we'd still be using DOS

As things get newer, the old shit gets less and less support. That's how life is.

You have to admit, few people actually play the old games anymore. You're in the minority. There will come a time when you can't play those games anymore. I know, I know... settle down, it's ok. But eventually your console will break or die or whatever and you won't be able to find a replacement. Or we'll move to view methods that are beyond the capability of your consoles to even connect too. This is the life of technology. It all has to die some day.
Yes, I know that's all true. DOS however is software based, and can easily be solved via a dual-boot or a virtual machine (The latter being much better). It's not like I can rip the guts and tubes out of my old TV...Well, at least not safely.

Also, you're forgetting that consoles never die...They never even fade away. An old classic such as a Sega CD is easy to find on eBay, as is the 32X to go along with it. In fact, you can even still find a Sega CDX, a much-less common, Sega CD/Genesis/Portable CD Player hybrid that cost $400 back in it's day.

I've even seen SegaCD/32X/Genesis combos for sale with something insane like thirty games.

Even the beloved Neo Geo Pocket Color is still common as dirt!