Microsoft Announces Windows 11!

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder

After numerous leaks and reports, it’s official. Microsoft today announced Windows 11, the next major version of Windows that brings with it a major overhaul of the UI, getting rid of components like live tiles that first debuted with Windows 8 in 2012. While bits of the upcoming version of Windows leaked thanks to the leaked ISO for a pre-release build, the company has a lot to show off today.

The UI refresh – codenamed Sun Valley – has been in the works for a while. The changes were originally thought to be part of an update to Windows 10, which included updated in-box apps, including the Microsoft Store – which was said to introduce new policies to expand the types of apps that can be housed in it. However, the magnitude of changes seems to have warranted a major OS rebranding itself. The firm is also adding support for web widgets, it adds, along with the new policies for the store.

Windows 11 debuts a new Start menu design that houses app icons, instead of live tiles. The taskbar icons are now centered by default, and the flyouts for the Start menu and Action Center now float above the taskbar. There are new animations across the board, which is always a welcome addition when it comes to user experience improvements.

The Action Center that houses the quick actions’ toggles and notifications is also receiving a major update. Just as with other bits in the OS, the firm is borrowing heavily from the now defunct Windows 10X. The quick actions and notifications are now separate sections, allowing for a cleaner design.

That’s not all though, as the firm is also bringing a bunch of enhancements to those using the OS on devices with a touchscreen. There are new gestures to switch between apps, improvements to resizing using a stylus or a finger, and more. These new gestures are coupled with the improved touch keyboard to enhance the experience of using Windows on a tablet or touch-enabled device.

There are improvements to virtual desktops and multitasking, including the window snap feature that was spotted in the earlier build. Virtual desktops can now have separate wallpapers for personalization, and the dedicated icon in the taskbar is now used for virtual desktops alone, replacing Timeline from Windows 10.

When it comes to productivity, the OS will have deep Teams integration, bringing easy and useful ways to quickly access recent chats, set up a meeting, and more.

Windows 11 also brings improvements to performance. Panos Panay says Windows Updates will be 40% smaller, and technologies like Direct Storage will bring better gaming performance. Windows Hello, app launches, and more will also be faster, the firm says.

Source: NeoWin

• 2Helpful
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dark Fader

[]D [] []V[] []D
But I'm still downloading SP3 on WinXP!!!

windows-xp-sp3-download-backup-files.jpg

... How can they release an entire OS during my install?

• 1ORLY?
  • 1LOL
  • 1Taters!
Reactions: 2 users

CoprophagousCop

Social Distancing Warrior
Premium
The YouTube channel ExplainingComputers put out a video a few days ago about the most annoying computer things and on the top of the list was Automatic Feature Updates in Windows 10.

The rant starts at the nine minute mark:

I have one computer running Windows 10, but I do not have it connected to the internet, so I do not have these problems.

Will Windows 11 continue this madness? The promo video mentions it "automatically adapts", whatever that means. It looks like a bunch of additional bells and whistles, like new themes (I am still using the default themes that came with my desktops), and ways to make you buy more things in their online store.

I believe updates to an operating system should only occur for bug fixes and they should be few and far in between if the code is written by competent programmers and well tested before being released. Security updates would be far less necessary if web browsers were written more intelligently as to never run machine code from third parties.

I do not plan on getting another computer for a while, so I probably will not have to experience Windows 11 for a while. Maybe Microsoft will go back to releasing new operating systems more frequently. I was hoping Windows 10 would be their last.

BlastemSkyHigh

The Original Fuck You Bomb
Apology's about the large ass page, I couldn't find your page/Image size reducer here

How to see if your PC has a TPM chip for Windows 11​

EHBEJMWtAnXSd3esMSgPnh-480-80.jpg
(Image credit: Microsoft)
Editor's note: This story about Windows 11's TPM requirement has been updated with comment from a Microsoft spokesperson, see below.

Hidden among the Windows 11 announcement today was a very odd, or at least surprising, system requirement. For Windows 11, all systems will need a TPM 2.0 chip.
What the heck is a TPM chip? TPM is short for Trusted Platform Module, and it's primarily known as a means for security in PCs, mostly dedicated to business notebooks and desktops.

Windows 11: What you need
CPU: a 1 GHz or faster dual-core or higher 64-bit processor or System on a Chip
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Storage: 64 GB
TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics card: DirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
Display: A greater than 9-inch display of 720p or higher
And this will likely lead many to wonder if they have this chip, because it's not one of the most consumers would ever see or consider when customizing a laptop online, especially if they're making a gaming system.
A Microsoft spokesperson told Tom's Guide, via email that "devices to meet the requirements for Windows 11, they will need to have a TPM. TPM support is included directly in CPUs from AMD, Qualcomm and Intel which can be found on the Windows 11 compatibility list.

They followed that with the frustrating note that "If devices in market meet the TPM requirements they can upgrade to Windows 11, if not they will need a new device." That said, we've heard that some TPMs may need to be enabled in the BIOS, so reach out to your PC's manufacturer for help before you buy a new system.
Even if you do have a TPM in your laptop, you might be surprised to know that it's there. I was personally shocked to find out that the PC I've been streaming on Twitch with, the excellent Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel, does have a TPM 2.0 chip and can in fact run Windows 11.
How did I find out? I certainly did not look it up inside my system, though you can if you know how. I chose not to, because Microsoft is offering a way to see if your PC supports Windows 11, and that's how I wanted to confirm my compatibility.

That said, a quick look at the update's other major system requirements (a 64-bit dual-core processor of 1 GHz or faster, 4GB of RAM and a 64GB storage device) would let me know that my machine qualified — and so the shorter version would be good enough for me.
That said, as I'll explain below, there are steps to take if it looks like your system doesn't have a TPM, it may just need to be enabled.

How to find out if your PC has TPM 2.0 for Windows 11​

There are two ways to do this, here's the faster way to just find out if your PC has a TPM chip.
1. Click Windows + R
3VqRPTEJ9sePUJJLVBwLAa-480-80.png
2. Type in 'tpm.msc' and click OK or hit Enter.
DgCijM3NRWnHU4uBzexMFa-480-80.png
3. Look for confirmation or a "Compatible TPM cannot be found" error.
4. If you get the latter, you may still have a TPM chip, but it may need to be enabled. Contact your system's manufacturer for more details about how to turn it on in the BIOS — we can't give advice here, as all systems are different.
But what if you want a more complete affirmative message from Microsoft, saying that yes, this system can run Windows 11. Well, Microsoft has a utility for that.
1. Download, open and install the PC Health Check app.
UashVNJ49jnnypbVCmhmKa-480-80.png
3. Make sure the "Open Windows PC Health Check" box is checked and click Finish.
XThEBZojg8Uf8VRu9eNHtZ-480-80.png
4. Click Check now under Windows 11.
5. The app will confirm or deny your support.
Congrats, now you know if you have a TPM!
If you don't have one, well, there's good news and bad news.
There's a chance you may still have a TPM chip, but it just needs to be enabled. Reach out to the company that made your computer to ask about how your system's TPM can be enabled in the BIOS, a system that varies so greatly that we can't give advice here.
You can buy a TPM off Amazon , but you'd need to figure out which TPMs (if any) your system supports, and that's a whole hassle into an of itself. Plus, installing it requires access to your motherboard, which isn't exactly easy on most laptops. And installing it isn't that easy either. Good luck, dear readers!

What is a TPM good for?​

If you're curious, the TPM uses both software and hardware to store and protect important passwords and/or encryption keys. Plus, if a TPM chip detects something wrong in your system, it can run a quarantine mode to try and fix the problem.
It's basically a line of defense your system has against attacks, and a important part of why Microsoft believes that Windows 11 is super-secure.

• 1Helpful
Reactions: 1 user

Jason

Founder
Well, WTF works on Windows 11. ;)

Oddly enough, its crazy stable for me for a very first beta...

• 1Like

BeautifulSniper

Lovely and deadly
Premium
Well, WTF works on Windows 11. ;)

Oddly enough, its crazy stable for me for a very first beta...
I'd like to try this on my spare SSD. Do you have a Direct X 12 GPU? I hope my computer can still run this.

BTW, the Windows 11 web page tells me my Android phone is Windows 11 compatible. LMAO!

• 1LOL

Jason

Founder
I'd like to try this on my spare SSD. Do you have a Direct X 12 GPU? I hope my computer can still run this.

BTW, the Windows 11 web page tells me my Android phone is Windows 11 compatible. LMAO!

Yes, I have a DirectX 12 GPU...

I suspect they'll be scaling down some of their requirements...

CoprophagousCop

Social Distancing Warrior
Premium
Apparently this requires a DirectX 12 GPU, which my broke ass doesn't have.
I had a 2 GB video card for my PC, but after a couple years it started malfunctioning, usually ten to twenty minutes after starting my PC. I suspect it was overheating. The fan on it would run for a minute when the power was turned on, but would then stop and not turn on again. Maybe it has a bad temperature sensor. I thought of just hard-wiring the fan to the power so it would run continuously. Instead, I simply removed the video card and plugged my monitor's HDMI input into the video circuitry on the motherboard. The motherboard's video circuitry has no problem showing full-screen videos. I have never tried to run any 3D video games, so I do not know how (or if) they would work. Would I not be able to upgrade my PC to Windows 11 without getting a working video card? It seems like a rather dumb requirement for just an operating system.

• 1Agree