WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

MIDI on Web Pages - WTF!?

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
Does this piss people off as much as it does me?

You know, when you surf to some page and all of a sudden a crappy Caribbean tune or "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies" is even more crappily reproduced via an ear-piercingly loud MIDI sequence embedded in the fucking page?!

As if shitty MIDI songs haven't become ubiquitous enough these days what with every idiot having the some shit song played every time their goddamn cell phone rings!

ATTENTION WEBMASTERS: MIDI IS NO LONGER 'NEAT.' IT WON'T WOW YOUR VISITORS, IT'LL ONLY PISS THEM OFF!

The world needs more MIDI like I need a hole in my head.

Cheers All,

WTFN

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I agree.

I never embed media into a webpage unless instructed to do so. I will also add a way to disable the media at the very top, or close to the top of the page, so that people can choose not to listen to music.

A great man once said :

"You sign your posts?"

Seriously, I would like going to this site about emulation, (Kefka's Kult - no longer exists :( ) and hearing themes from the games play. It would get me hyped, and make me want to play some old RPG's like FF3, or Zelda. But of course you could disable the music if you wanted to.

Over and out.

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
god that pisses me off, your on some stupid free domain and you get a fucked up ringing noise, it should be kept for mobile phones only.

Descent

Hella Constipated

WTFNation

Descent said:
Blah blah blah, Midi sucks my cock I love it and my soundcard is so l337 yours is teh sux0rz
[/size]
Good for you. Your cookie is in the mail.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
MIDI is dead and annoying.
No, it's not. It's in the soul of every gamer.

I'll admit it, it's dead. But not in my heart...I prefer DOS style FM synthesis over modern video game soundtracks any day!

Descent said:
I'll admit it, it's dead. But not in my heart...I prefer DOS style FM synthesis over modern video game soundtracks any day!
Man, I'm sorry but that's retarded.

Some of the music in newer games is just too beautiful to not prefer it.

All the old game music has a certain clumsiness about it. Pfft.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
No, it's not. It's in the soul of every gamer.
I DON'T WANT EARLY 90's ERA GAMING CONSOLES EMBEDDED IN MY WEBPAGES, OK, RETARD!!!???

:happysad:

Descent

Hella Constipated
JungleJism said:
I DON'T WANT EARLY 90's ERA GAMING CONSOLES EMBEDDED IN MY WEBPAGES, OK, RETARD!!!???

:happysad: Today 08:56 PM
Looks leik U didn't rede it LLO!

Bottom of My Post said:

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
junglizm said:
MIDI is dead and annoying. :thumbsdn:
Quoth the DJ, nevermore.

The only practical purpose of a MIDI is to preview files in Finale. Other than that... :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff

Descent

Hella Constipated
Brainwash Monkey said:
Those both sound like horrible renditions of the Beverly Hills Cop theme song.
Actually, it's Boss Level Music from Descent II...

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
worst I ever did was put mods on my web pages... for those who dont know a mod is like a cross between a midi and a series of wav files... the midi like instructions tell the thing what sounds to play at what speed, octave or bend.. it was the shit before mp3 came out.. very realisitic and good stuff... problem was in web page wise the viewer had to download the plugin player to listen..

Jung

???
Premium
Darklight said:
worst I ever did was put mods on my web pages.
I used to use trackers too, ModTracker and FastTracker were the shit.

But that brings me to another pet peeve of mine; don't embed anything that uses obscure plug-ins. Nobody wants to download some obscure pulg-in just to view your site. If you're going to do it, at least let it fail gracefully, ie. not bitch about making you download it. This is why I HATE flash web sites. (Granted that Flash isn't obscure, but I shouldn't have to download a plug-in just to view your site.)

WTFNation

One Exception...

Wow - Didn't think so many people felt so strongly about MIDI! I sort of expected this rant to be one of the ones that just sits there, no one loving it.

Anyways, we all know how I feel about MIDI on webpages, but there is one exception I feel the need to show you all (although most have probably seen this already...) I came across it again the other day, always makes me laugh...

This is cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet!

Cheers,

WTFN

Descent

Hella Constipated
FYI: I'm not changing my stance on MIDI. I just played Descent on a school computer with a Sound Blaster 16 today and I almost came in my pants.

I absolutely LOVE FM synthesis. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yamaha OPL3 MIDI Chip > Your Life.