WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Miers' Faith in Spotlight

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
WASHINGTON — President Bush indicated Wednesday that Harriet E. Miers' religious beliefs were one reason he nominated her to the Supreme Court — comments that drew quick criticism from liberal groups, which said religion should not be considered a qualification to sit on the nation's highest bench.
Bush's remarks came on the same day that Christian leader James C. Dobson, president of Focus on the Family, told his radio show listeners that White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove had assured him before the announcement of Miers' selection that she was a committed evangelical Christian.
"People ask me why I picked Harriet Miers," Bush said when reporters asked about those assurances. "They want to know Harriet Miers' background. They want to know as much as they possibly can before they form opinions. And part of Harriet Miers' life is her religion. Part of it has to do with the fact that she was a pioneer woman and a trailblazer in the law in Texas."
Bush previously has stressed his knowledge of her character, but this was the first time he publicly referred to her faith when asked about picking her.
His comment about Miers as a trailblazer refers to her being the first woman to head a major law firm in Dallas and the first woman to be elected president of the Texas state bar.
After Bush's comments Wednesday, White House spokesman Scott McClellan did not answer directly when asked if Miers' religion played "no role at all" in Bush's decision.
He responded: "That's part of who she is. That's part of her background. That's what the president was talking about in his remarks in the Oval Office."
McClellan added: "Faith is very important to Harriet Miers. But she recognizes that faith and that her religion and that her personal views don't have a role to play when it comes to making decisions."
Liberal groups, which have taken a low profile since the nomination was announced, noted that White House officials took issue with Democratic senators who wanted to discuss John G. Roberts' religious beliefs during his recent confirmation process to be chief justice. Roberts is Roman Catholic.

LINK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

She's an Evangelical Christian, hmmm, to me that's a reason NOT to nominate her.

It appears the separation of church and state is offically dead
with this Administration...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
voiceofreason said:
It appears the separation of church and state is offically dead
with this Administration...
You're just NOW figuring that out?

jamesp

In Memory...
You guys are misinterpretting the meaning of separation of church and state. Just because someone is a committed christian does not mean that they should be banned from the political arena. Harriet Miers may well be an evangelical christian but that has nothing to do with her judgement. I seriously doubt that the president chose her just because she believes firmly in God. We'll see when she goes in front of the senate judiciary committee.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
jamesp said:
You guys are misinterpretting the meaning of separation of church and state. Just because someone is a committed christian does not mean that they should be banned from the political arena. Harriet Miers may well be an evangelical christian but that has nothing to do with her judgement. I seriously doubt that the president chose her just because she believes firmly in God. We'll see when she goes in front of the senate judiciary committee.
This particular president has a penchant for placing people in positions based more on their agreement with his philosophies and religion than their skill sets. Many of the folks he's appointed to scientific posts follow his religious beliefs more than they do the rules of science.

From the sounds of things he's picked someone based more on her religious leanings than her experience as a judge. Oh wait, she has no experience as a judge.

jamesp

In Memory...
UberSkippy said:
This particular president has a penchant for placing people in positions based more on their agreement with his philosophies and religion than their skill sets. Many of the folks he's appointed to scientific posts follow his religious beliefs more than they do the rules of science.

From the sounds of things he's picked someone based more on her religious leanings than her experience as a judge. Oh wait, she has no experience as a judge.
Granted he has played by the buddy system. But, as I have already stated in another post, Roberts is more liberal than Rehquist was and Miers is supposedly more liberal than O'Connor which is a good thing considering she's up for the swing seat. You guys are bashing her because Dubbya nominated her and she is christian. Things that don't matter at all in the Supreme court. Watch C-Span for the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings, I watched them for Roberts, and it completely changed my opinion of him.

jamesp said:
Granted he has played by the buddy system. But, as I have already stated in another post, Roberts is more liberal than Rehquist was and Miers is supposedly more liberal than O'Connor which is a good thing considering she's up for the swing seat. You guys are bashing her because Dubbya nominated her and she is christian. Things that don't matter at all in the Supreme court. Watch C-Span for the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings, I watched them for Roberts, and it completely changed my opinion of him.
Did he mention how he doesn't believe in the right to privacy? I guess he loves Big Brother too! :thumbsup:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
jamesp said:
You guys are bashing her because Dubbya nominated her and she is christian.
No, I'm worried about her because of her lack of a past. I'm suspicious of how and why she was nominated. Bush has given us little reason as citizens to trust him or the people he puts into positions of power. I see no reason this should be any different.

Bush is upset about judges legislating from the bench. He's just upset that they aren't legislating his way. I'm worried that he's trying to appoint people that will preach from the bench.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
jamesp said:
You don't understand that the US government is supposed to be free from religion, you and George Bush.

He offered a place on the U.S. Supreme Court to an undistinguished Texas lawyer cronnie who was Chairwoman of the Texas Lottery Commission( wow!). The reason for his choice will never be known, but it's a sure thing he did not choose the most qualified person for the job.

jamesp

In Memory...
voiceofreason said:
You don't understand that the US government is supposed to be free from religion, you and George Bush.

He offered a place on the U.S. Supreme Court to an undistinguished Texas lawyer cronnie who was Chairwoman of the Texas Lottery Commission( wow!). The reason for his choice will never be known, but it's a sure thing he did not choose the most qualified person for the job.
Yeah, the Lottery Commission.....but lets not get into the fact that she was Chairman of the Texas State Bar, or the fact that she is in charge of her own law firm. And no, the government is supposed to be free from religious doctrine. You guys are implying that if you believe in God get the fuck out of our government. Sorry guys, thats religious persecution. So fucking what if she is a devout christian? So was FDR. Go google separation of church and state, figure out exactly what it means, then come apologize.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
jamesp said:
Yeah, the Lottery Commission.....but lets not get into the fact that she was Chairman of the Texas State Bar, or the fact that she is in charge of her own law firm. And no, the government is supposed to be free from religious doctrine. You guys are implying that if you believe in God get the fuck out of our government. Sorry guys, thats religious persecution. So fucking what if she is a devout christian? So was FDR. Go google separation of church and state, figure out exactly what it means, then come apologize.
Apologize, no.

You miss the point. The office of President of the United States is not to be used a a pulpit for the religious right.

Evangelical Christian does NOT EQUAL Supreme Court Justice.

There is nothing wrong with being a polititian with religious beliefs, there is something VERY wrong with making governmental decsions based on religion.

ITS DISCRIMINATORY, UNDERSTAND??????

jamesp

In Memory...
We both agree that making descisions like this based on religious beliefs is bad, but Im thinking that it was her moral fiber that this descicion was based on, moral fiber that is expressed through hardcore christian beliefs. You should know that I hate GWB as much or more than most, but not Harriet Miers. She deserves as much unbiased consideration as anyone. Disregard her religious beliefs, and the fact that Dubya nominated her, and look at the person. Thats all Ive been saying.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
jamesp said:
We both agree that making descisions like this based on religious beliefs is bad, but Im thinking that it was her moral fiber that this descicion was based on, moral fiber that is expressed through hardcore christian beliefs. You should know that I hate GWB as much or more than most, but not Harriet Miers. She deserves as much unbiased consideration as anyone. Disregard her religious beliefs, and the fact that Dubya nominated her, and look at the person. Thats all Ive been saying.
The problem is that Bush has said that her religious beliefs were a reason she was nominated. I could care less what her religious beliefs are. howerver I am concerned that those beliefs will be the foundation of her decisions instead of the law. That concern is not eased by Bush touter her religious beliefs as a reason she was nominated.

The simple fact is that I simply do not believe her to be qualified for the slot and I question why and how she was nominated.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
UberSkippy said:
The problem is that Bush has said that her religious beliefs were a reason she was nominated. I could care less what her religious beliefs are. howerver I am concerned that those beliefs will be the foundation of her decisions instead of the law. That concern is not eased by Bush touter her religious beliefs as a reason she was nominated.

The simple fact is that I simply do not believe her to be qualified for the slot and I question why and how she was nominated.

I for one am glad to have someone with outstanding and unfailing devotion not only to our country, but also to her own beliefs, especially a female who manages to stick to her beliefs in a predominantly male rules society. Besides, I think she is a lesbian...

Harriet Ellan Miers was born in Dallas on Aug. 10, 1945.

Miers received her bachelor's degree in mathematics in 1967 and JD in 1970 from Southern Methodist University. Upon graduation, she clerked for U.S. District Judge Joe E. Estes from 1970 to 1972. In 1972, Miers became the first woman hired at Dallas's Locke Purnell Boren Laney & Neely.

In March 1996, her colleagues elected her the first woman president of Locke, Purnell, Rain & Harrell, at that time a firm of about 200 lawyers. She became the first woman to lead a Texas firm of that size.

Locke, Purnell eventually merged with a Houston firm and became Locke Liddell & Sapp, LLP, where Miers became co-managing partner of a firm with more than 400 lawyers.

Miers had a very distinguished career as a trial litigator, representing such clients as Microsoft, Walt Disney Co. and SunGard Data Systems Inc.

Throughout her career, she has been very active in the legal community and has blazed a trail for other women to follow.

* In 1985, Miers was selected as the first woman to become president of the Dallas Bar Association.

* In 1992, she became the first woman elected president of the State Bar of Texas. Miers served as the president of the State Bar of Texas from 1992 to 1993.

* She played an active role in the American Bar Association. She was one of two candidates for the number two position at the ABA, chair of the House of Delegates, before withdrawing her candidacy to move to Washington to serve in the White House. Miers also served as the chair of the ABA's Commission on Multijurisdictional Practice.

On numerous occasions, the National Law Journal named her one of the nation's 100 most powerful attorneys and as one of the nation's top 50 women lawyers.

Miers also has been involved in local and statewide politics in Texas.

* In 1989, she was elected to a two-year term as an at-large candidate on the Dallas City Council. She chose not to run for re-election when her term expired.

* Miers also served as general counsel for the transition team of Governor-elect George W. Bush in 1994.

* From 1995 until 2000, Miers served as chairwoman of the Texas Lottery Commission, a voluntary public service position she undertook while maintaining her legal practice and other responsibilities. When then-Governor Bush appointed Miers to a six-year term on the Texas Lottery Commission, it was mired in scandal, and she served as a driving force behind its cleanup.

Miers came to Washington, D.C., in 2001:

* She was appointed assistant to the president and staff secretary on Jan. 20, 2001.

* In 2003, Miers was promoted to assistant to the president and deputy chief of staff.

* Miers has served as counsel to the president since February 2005.

.PS:

Of course, a female of such a background could only have been chosen on her beliefs, none of her accomplishments.