WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Mighty Mice Regrow Organs

Jung

???
Premium
Mice discovered accidentally at the Wistar Institute in Pennsylvania have the seemingly miraculous ability to regenerate like a salamander, and even regrow vital organs.

Researchers systematically amputated digits and damaged various organs of the mice, including the heart, liver and brain, most of which grew back.

The results stunned scientists because if such regeneration is possible in this mammal, it might also be possible in humans.

The researchers also made a remarkable second discovery: When cells from the regenerative mice were injected into normal mice, the normal mice adopted the ability to regenerate. And when the special mice bred with normal mice, their offspring inherited souped-up regeneration capabilities.

The mice, known as the MRL strain, were specially bred to develop lupus. But researchers don't know why exactly the animals' injuries heal so well.

"If we identified the molecules that allow mice that don't regenerate to regenerate ... and I think we could be close to doing that, then I think the next step is to consider what these molecules would do in individuals," said Ellen Heber-Katz, a professor of molecular and cellular oncogenesis at Wistar, located on the University of Pennsylvania campus in Philadelphia.

Heber-Katz discovered the strain in 1998 accidentally while working with mice specially bred for studying autoimmune diseases.

She had pierced holes in the ears of the genetically altered mice to distinguish them from a control group, but they healed quickly with no scarring.

She and her colleagues wanted to find out what other parts of this strain of mice would grow back, so they snipped off the tip of a tail, severed a spinal cord, injured the optic nerve and damaged various internal organs.

The incredible wound-healing they observed abruptly shifted the focus of Heber-Katz's lab's research from autoimmune disease to regenerative medicine. The researchers began hunting for the specific genes that gave the mice their special powers. They are focusing on three specific genes at the moment, but she suspects that many more likely contribute to the regenerative abilities.

While some amphibians can regrow body parts, mammals for the most part do not have that ability, making this a very special mouse indeed. If the results can be translated to humans, it would be a dream come true for people who want to live forever.

"When those genes (responsible for the mice regeneration) are found, we can start to think about manipulating them in humans with drugs or (later) gene therapy, thereby enhancing our own regeneration," said Aubrey de Grey, a longevity expert and editor of the scientific journal Rejuvenation Research.

Other labs have also begun to join the investigation.

The mice seem to exhibit regenerative capabilities similar to that of human fetuses in the first trimester, said Dr. Stephen Badylak, a surgery research professor and director of the Center for Pre-Clinical Tissue Engineering at the University of Pittsburgh's McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine.

"It offers us insight into a more fetal-like healing response, where scar tissue is minimal and regeneration is abundant," Badylak said. "It's a great model to examine healing mechanisms and use that information to see if we can stimulate the same thing to happen in people."

Heber-Katz said she will soon publish her results on digit regrowth in a peer-reviewed medical journal.

Heber-Katz presented new data showing that the strain of mice can also grow back severed digits at the Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence conference in Cambridge, England. ("Engineered negligible senescence" is a fancy term for life extension.)

Source (Wired.com)

Pretty interesting, to say the least. I'm sure some will have moral oppositions to this, but it could save a lot of lives if perfected. :thumbsup:

jamesp

In Memory...
The future today! Seriously, this is awsome, the next step: 7ft tall power armored ninjas with miniguns that can regenerate take the place of Marines.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Normally, I'm not one for bitching about science, but when you're chopping up animals just to see if they'll grow back, that's fucked up.

jamesp said:
The future today! Seriously, this is awsome, the next step: 7ft tall power armored ninjas with miniguns that can regenerate take the place of Marines.
Fuck! Not even through boot camp yet and I'm outdated.

Jung

???
Premium
Nailbomb said:
Normally, I'm not one for bitching about science, but when you're chopping up animals just to see if they'll grow back, that's fucked up.
Tons of medical advancements have made possible by animal testing. It's somewhat cruel, but it's a necessity for advancement.

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
One day when people can regenrate limbs you'll regenrate limbs PETA'll regret opposing animal testing! :thumbsup:

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I think in the case of humans, regenerating, non-aging, humans spell the end of what little sanity is left on this berg. Imagine all the fucking people! There could be 100 billion humans or more, all trying to get by. Imagine working at the same shitty job for 1000 years, only to be passed over on promotion to some asshole with only 500 years in, but he knows the boss outside the office. Imagine only "special" people getting the regeneration and so "normal" people become 3rd class citizens at best. I can go on and on with the horror this would cause.

People never think in the long term. This in the long term is unbelievably bad. I think this is why they would keep some things hidden from the public at large, when possible, so that this kind of stuff would be reserved for the few, and not the masses.

Though there's all that buzz about the "sleep pill" that will spell the end of sleep in our lifetime if you want to go that route. Then you can work 16 hours a day for 1000 years in some shitty job, oh the horror.

pyrodude

The real man's bitch
Unfortunately aniamal testing must be done to advance medicine. But soon there may be a different problem. What about the ethics of testing on cloned animals?

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
thats crazy, yeah..... nothing more to say i guess

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
jamesp said:
Shutup Descent.

nailbomb said:
As much as I agree that it's not a nice thing, it's far better than the way medical advances from the 40's 50's and even 60's came about. The hollocaust and the horros perpetrated on human beings can be tied dirrectly into a LOT of what we know about modern medecine.

JLXC said:
People never think in the long term. This in the long term is unbelievably bad. I think this is why they would keep some things hidden from the public at large, when possible, so that this kind of stuff would be reserved for the few, and not the masses.
Good points. But I don't recall seeing anywhere where these mice were indestructable or didn't age. It sounds more like they have the ability to recover from major trauma and serious injuries but not to live for ever. They can grow a limb back, they can ever repair their heart. But I doubt that they could grow a new heart if the old one was removed or destroyed.

buff_guy24

RUB-A-DUB N DA HOT TUB!
meecy mice

I think that is some crazy ass shit! That would be some bad ass shit if we could have that ability.:flamed: I would go on a killing spree and have no worries. Except immortal life would be obsolete--where would everybody live? talk about overpopulation-the chinese rule of only one child would have to be imlimented world-wide!:gun: :happysad:

I Hate The FCC

Homo est Deus
pyrodude said:
Unfortunately aniamal testing must be done to advance medicine. But soon there may be a different problem. What about the ethics of testing on cloned animals?
Who gives a shit? Animals don't know what's happening to them, nor do they care. They are stupid and worthless. It is of no worry to anyone if one dies through scientific testing, because it will help the entire human race in the end.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
We shoundn't worry about animal testing, until we can stop he people that chop other people into little pieces and eat them. When we stop mutilating humans then we can worry about what's happening to the animals in a controlled lab. We can barely take care of our own people and families.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
So now we know how wolverine got his special healing powers..

I can’t help but feel that creating this wonder drug or gene could be a terrible mistake. Hopefully by the time it's created I’ll be dead and won’t have to see what "could" happen.

I wonder how much someone would pay for the miracle/curse of immortality? It sure as hell aint going to be given to anyone who walks by.

I find it incredible and I find it terrifying. It sends shivers through my spine but then again, I’m just being pessimistic. :happysad:

Descent

Hella Constipated
Wow this is amazing!

/me adds regeneration to the Research and Development design document.

I want them to make the "BIG KEG-O HEALTH" from Unreal Tournament now, except you can have it at a dinner party.

"Excuse me James, lovely party, can I have another hit?"

"Sure Bob."

"WHOOOAAHHAHAOOOO! GONNA CRACK SOME FOLKING SKULLS!"

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Piro said:
So now we know how wolverine got his special healing powers..

I can’t help but feel that creating this wonder drug or gene could be a terrible mistake. Hopefully by the time it's created I’ll be dead and won’t have to see what "could" happen.

I wonder how much someone would pay for the miracle/curse of immortality? It sure as hell aint going to be given to anyone who walks by.

I find it incredible and I find it terrifying. It sends shivers through my spine but then again, I’m just being pessimistic. :happysad:
Again this doesn't appear to create immortality so much as allow the body to heal from traumatic wounds more completely than it would otherwise.

Say you get in an accident and your kidneys are shot. Rather than a trasnplant you go into dialisys while they grow back. If you're heart is destroyed in the same accident you're still dead. Unless these mice can miraculously grow a heart in a few minutes.

Piro

From appaled to applauding, controversy.
point taken.

if they can find the gene, i suppose they can alter it further so healing is even faster,or even delay the effects of old age dramatically. the possibilities are endless.

i'm curious to see how quickly it regenerates. did it take a month to regrow it's tail or a few days?

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Insane! This could help so many people!

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Well, yeiiah!

After that weird shout I´ll begin my rant, if I may.

Animal research, as immoral as it is may be seen as a good deed as long as they test for a cure on some horrid disease, such as ebola, HIV, malaria etc. If however, they test animals to create sevenarsed leprecons with monkey ears and fly-eyes they should be mutilated and then thun hung from their reproductive organs to a chandelier.
Animal research has helped humankind to find a cure for such diseasesas as polio, smallbox, rubella and diphtheria. As some one brought up the human research of the nazi´s were a great advancement to the sience world. Laboratory animals are treated with great professionality in animal-calre and are taken much better care of, than the the nazi´took care of the jews.

Also I see this a as a big step in the western world; the rich.
How can people be so ignorant to objective reality that they spend fortunes to grow back limbs and such, when half the globe is under great disease. Cheaper aids-drugs, malaria-drugs and such should be developed to help the ones that are truly in need.
If a man has lost his leg in a car crash, he should lose it. It´s not like "yeah, fuck that I dont care, it´ll grow back anyways."

If this is such an advanced method that it can be used for growing back the spinal cord, or fix some parts of the brain I say go for it. If it is so it can be seen as a method to possibly help alzheimers, doesnt it?

Medical Science!?

So the general consensus is that scrambling these mice's' brains so that those "scientists" might possibly someday in the future figure out how to make people grow back important body parts is okay? I am the first to say that it's possible that I could be insane myself, but I honestly don't see how this sounds less purely evil than just getting together a bunch of people babies (y'know, the ugly, maybe stupid ones that you find in foster homes) and seeing if they grow their spines back if you give them lupus.
Personally, I think that medical science has already gone too far. Why don't we cure... ummm... like... colds or something before we move on to missing internal organs due to scientific interest, cause the best cure for that is to not remove them.