Headlines Militant group threatens death for al-Zarqawi

Cynical Canuck

Venting Spleen
Just posting this in case anyone missed it in the news.

Wednesday, July 7, 2004
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A previously unknown militant group in Iraq is threatening to kill the most-wanted terror suspect in that country: Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

The Arabic-language TV network Al-Arabiya said it received a taped statement from an organization that calls itself the Rescue Group warning al-Zarqawi and his followers to leave Iraq or face the consequences.

One masked militant read a statement denouncing the actions by al-Zarqawi and his followers as hurtful to Iraq, particularly the kidnapping of foreigners.

The group has called for the killing of the Jordanian-born al-Zarqawi if he doesn't leave Iraq.

Coalition officials blame al-Zarqawi for dozens of attacks on coalition forces and Iraqi civilians. The United States recently raised the bounty on his head to $25 million.

Al-Zarqawi is also believed to be behind the beheading of two hostages in Iraq, an American and a South Korean.

This is a tough one. On the one hand, it's good to see that even some of Iraq's bad-ass militants don't approve of al-Zarqawi. On the other hand, it's a militant group declaring war against another militant group, which can never be good. It's been a week since the article was posted on CNN, but I haven't heard of any follow up to it.

--brad

Cynical Canuck

Venting Spleen
Of course, the cynic in me believes that this tape was actually manufactured by the CIA or FBI or British Intelligence, after all, "Rescue Group" is a little suspect.

Shurikane

Raging Hermaphrodite
So in the end, all we Americans would really need to do is fake like we're still in Iraq and then let all the problems there solve themselves. :p I mean, that group is doing a fine job at it.