WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Missed chances and blatant racism

B

Burleo

In the past two days I have encountered so much blatant racism...

Last Wednesday at work (I work as a lifeguard) some kids came into the pool during lap swim. Usually we only get adults that swim or do aqua jogging, but the kids (four of them, between the ages of 12 and 15) were behaving and doing laps with their kickboards. There are six lanes, and they were only taking up one for the four of them. This woman comes up to me and says "I want those kids out. I pay a lot of money to be here and I shouldn't have to put up with this. There just isn't enough space for them." Well, there were only two people in each of the other lanes, so I told her that if more people came in and it got to be too much of a problem I'd say something. I asked if they were disturbing her, and she said "no, it's a space issue." The kids saw this woman talking to me and figured I was going to kick them out. I wasn't. It was a hot day, so I just told them to make sure they were serious when they were there. They were very polite and well-behaved; I figured that if they're in the rec. center, then they have just as much a right to be there as she does because they pay too. The woman huffed back to her lane and for the rest of the time she was there gave those kids looks like you wouldn't believe! I got a few too, but not nearly as many. The kids were African American. It was clearly a racism issue.

The next incident? Last Thursday I was in my history class; class hadn't started yet. This girl in the back of the room was talking rather loudly about some guy she dated, and said "yeah, I dated this guy once who had red hair and freckles, but his skin was darker...but his brother (get this) looked more like a person; like an everydya person." Looked more like a person?! What is that? Then, during our break, another girl behind me was talking to her friend. She was talking about where she was from (Tri-cities, WA), and made some comments I couldn't believe. She was talking about people from another one of the tri-cities and said "That city is made up of a bunch of uneducated immigrants from all over with no direction and no goals. The only reason these people are here is because they're cheap labor; they work on the farms...I mean, honestly, that place is a ghetto. We didn't talk to them. I don't associate with people like that." WHOA! Being from a migrant farmworking town myself, I wanted to turn around and say something, but she didn't know I'd been listening, so I didn't say anything. But get this, 20 minutes later we were talking about British colonization in Africa, and she raises her hand and says "I can't believe racism still exists. Superiority is sad." The contradiction there is just...wow. Having the experience of being a minority, perhaps I'm being too harsh by being so aggrevated by this, but the reason we still have racism is because people take an ethnocentric attitude towards others. They establish the barriers, and often don't recognize it in themselves. The hardest thing is that there isn't much that can be done about people's prejudices. They have to bring themselves out of them. It just makes me so mad to see someone judge like that.

On another note, last week I went to an academic salon and there was a person sitting next to me that I was intrigued by. But I didn't say "hi;" probably because I was more worried about where the conversation would go than starting it. Now I'm kicking myself for not speaking up. Another "what if..."

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Burleo said:
She was talking about people from another one of the tri-cities and said "That city is made up of a bunch of uneducated immigrants from all over with no direction and no goals. The only reason these people are here is because they're cheap labor; they work on the farms...I mean, honestly, that place is a ghetto. We didn't talk to them. I don't associate with people like that."
nevermind her contradicting statements, im from a part of the country where this is unfortunately the case. You know how people always make fun of the mexicans because they are always the ones who "cut your lawn"? Well, the fact of the matter is, here, Mexicans and Hispanics ARE the ones the cut your lawn, and im not about to say its not because it might hurt somebody's feelings.

No direction and no goals? Sorry buddy, but when i worked in a particular grocery store as a bookkeeper, i had to cash people's checks when I wanted them. The cashier kids came in to cash their checks so they could have some spending money for the week. The managers didnt cash out, theirs is directly deposited. The spanish workers, (namely the stock kids and produce department) cash out and immediately boast to their hombres about the amout of alcohol this paycheck will bring them. You can call that racism if you want, but i look and that directly agree with that girl from your class. I would much rather hang out with the dude who's been saving his money in a bank, or eat lunch out with that kid that was on register 9.

yowatupdogg

Banned - What an Asshat!
yeyeyeyeyeyeyeyye

well i am kinda mad that the mexians take alot of jobs for the american people. and the major thing most of them are so dirty. there is a park down my street and everyday these beans bring there kids to take fuckin showers in the park. they just fuckin put them in the sprinklers. and it is sick as hell, plus there is also a mexian family that lives near my house. and there are 15 of them in the house it is crzy :confused:

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
yowatupdogg said:
well i am kinda mad that the mexians take alot of jobs for the american people. and the major thing most of them are so dirty. there is a park down my street and everyday these beans bring there kids to take fuckin showers in the park. they just fuckin put them in the sprinklers. and it is sick as hell, plus there is also a mexian family that lives near my house. and there are 15 of them in the house it is crzy :confused:
you ever think...maybe they are just letting their kids play in the sprinkler... or that they have no where else to take a shower at..

You know little about living on the fucking streets or struggling... so have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up

jamesp

In Memory...
_Kitana_ said:
you ever think...maybe they are just letting their kids play in the sprinkler... or that they have no where else to take a shower at..

You know little about living on the fucking streets or struggling... so have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up
no shit, 'yowatupdogg' is goind to be the next flamee. i can feel it.

yowatupdogg

Banned - What an Asshat!
o like i give a shit dick suckerand u know struggles on the street kitana no they don't play in the showers they take showers naked u stupid ass wowowowowowow0wowowowowowowowowo ur fuckerssssssssssssssssssssss

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
yowatupdogg said:
o like i give a shit dick suckerand u know struggles on the street kitana no they don't play in the showers they take showers naked u stupid ass wowowowowowow0wowowowowowowowowo ur fuckerssssssssssssssssssssss
flame on lets burn this bitch

yowatupdogg

Banned - What an Asshat!
yes

wow like i really care what u fuckin nerd ass people have to say bout me. at least i have a fuckin life. not like some of u people who do like 55,000 posts a day.

yea so i am really not going to take all this shit cause u are fuckin losers who don't have a life

so fuck off

Jason

Voorhees a jolly good fellow!
Founder
Hey...

First of all, cool the crazy font bullshit. We need that crap in the threads...

Second, while I don't mind lively discussion on any issues (including this one) we really have no place for any racial slurs and such when you're trying to get a real point across... If you're looking to just be here to pick fights and such you ought to visit the Bait & Tackle forum. Even race jokes are permitted here in threads because people have been telling jokes about most races here pretty evenly when such "joke threads" are created in the appropriate place...

Your desperate post above has absolutely no flavor, and makes statements such as 'i have a fuckin life' seem less and less believable...

Broken

Member smoked too much weed!
yowatupdogg said:
then why are u not saying anything to that idiot who was sayin that shit bout me
Learn to defend yourself. Your mommy isn't here to clean your bottom for you. Gee, I wonder if you didn't come in fag font spamming the forum just to be a annoying little prick, if people would have treated you differently. Fuck off Puss.

yowatupdogg

Banned - What an Asshat!
if i try to defend myself then jason would fuckin get all crzy again
and i did defend myself if u look on the first page u jackass :mfinger:

Broken

yowatupdogg said:
if i try to defend myself then jason would fuckin get all crzy again
and i did defend myself if u look on the first page u jackass :mfinger:
Oh My.. A complete moron called my a Jackass.LMao~~ Gee I am so hurt.. You don't have the tools to defend yourself.

Broken

yowatupdogg said:
like i give a shit fuck off
LMAO~ That's your problem. You're one of those people that say " Like I give a shit" When they can't accomplish something. Like passing a class, posting something that means anything, or even being slightly funny. The only thing that is funny is how big of an ass you make out of yourself with every post. You talk about people not having lives. How pathetic must your life be, you can't even get along here. Impressive. Now go get back in the welfare line..I work so you lame ass can eat.

yowatupdogg

Banned - What an Asshat!
well i am not sure i am even old enough to collect well fare so that doesn't aply to me. so u wasted ur time

Broken

yowatupdogg said:
well i am not sure i am even old enough to collect well fare so that doesn't aply to me. so u wasted ur time
Nope, I am psychic. You are the complete waste of time.

GottaHurt

Sexual Deviant
Broken said:
Nope, I am psychic. You are the complete waste of time.

I concur....and to think his mom carried him in her rectum for 9 months....

Broken

GottaHurt said:
I concur....and to think his mom carried him in her rectum for 9 months....
I like how he completely ignored the real issues and only went after the slam. Gee.. does it prove the point.. always the easy way out?