WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Most dangerous bomb?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
685
257
#1
In the even of a war, the most dangerous bomb is, in my opinion, the e-bomb.

Simply put, this is what e-bombs do : http://science.howstuffworks.com/e-bomb.htm

They kill all the communications. Blow a couple on a country and then do whatever you want with it. You can strike nuclear weapons easier afterwards, invade, really, you can do whatever the fuck you want.
 
1,456
2
0
#2
Well, a nuclear bomb also releases an electro-magnetic pulse, which, in essence, does the exact same thing + leveling 100 square city blocks. An E-bomb would be less fatal, but the terrorists just want to kill, so there would be no reason for them to research such a weapon.

I agree with all your points, but for *most* warfare operations, a nuclear bomb would be more effective as a particular area could be targeted for destruction and then the EMP would knock out electronics for miles around.
 

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
7,540
685
257
#3
teh anarchist said:
Well, a nuclear bomb also releases an electro-magnetic pulse, which, in essence, does the exact same thing + leveling 100 square city blocks. An E-bomb would be less fatal, but the terrorists just want to kill, so there would be no reason for them to research such a weapon.

I agree with all your points, but for *most* warfare operations, a nuclear bomb would be more effective as a particular area could be targeted for destruction and then the EMP would knock out electronics for miles around.
yeah ok but let's say the country doesn't want to destroy its ennemy, but rather take control of it and neutralize its military. The E-bomb would be perfect for that.
 

breakology

Kiss my Converse
1,890
5
102
#4
Sounds like it just makes more work for the land foces (i.e infintry & armored forces) because they are the ones that have roll into the dead city and clear out the combatants that a normal bomb would have taken care of.
An e-bomb is'nt going ot have any effect on small arms and some anti-tank weaponary.
It seems the best effect is the knock out of enemy communication resources, but that it is only really helpful for a force that depends heavily on a centralized command. If the smaller units have decent leaders, there should not be to many issues mounting at least a short term defense.
To me, this is a case of a so called non-lethal weapon causing more death than a conventional bomb. The additional causalties will be from friendly forces though, but what the heck, the enemy's buildings will still be intact.
 

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
5,438
95
142
#5
The FAE bomb can wipe out a large town or small city without the muss and fuss of radiation.. no EMP tho..
 

bnccoder

Postaholic
2,479
0
36
#6
RageAgainst said:
In the even of a war, the most dangerous bomb is, in my opinion, the e-bomb.

Simply put, this is what e-bombs do : http://science.howstuffworks.com/e-bomb.htm

They kill all the communications. Blow a couple on a country and then do whatever you want with it. You can strike nuclear weapons easier afterwards, invade, really, you can do whatever the fuck you want.
Most millitary weapons and vehicles are shielded for E.M.P.
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,998
2,267
487
#7
teh anarchist said:
Well, a nuclear bomb also releases an electro-magnetic pulse, which, in essence, does the exact same thing + leveling 100 square city blocks. An E-bomb would be less fatal, but the terrorists just want to kill, so there would be no reason for them to research such a weapon.
Nuclear blasts only do that as a side effect, and it's effective radius is well within the blast area; you never realize the EMP effects of a targeted nuclear bomb.


As far as I know, though, most EMP bombs are just small nuclear charges that get detonated in the stratosphere.
bnccoder said:
Most millitary weapons and vehicles are shielded for E.M.P.
Not really; you'd probably be surprised how many aren't. It's too damn expensive to shield anything but the most expensive and important vehicles.
 

breakology

Kiss my Converse
1,890
5
102
#8
junglizm said:
It's too damn expensive to shield anything but the most expensive and important vehicles.
The only military equipment that I know for a fact is EMP sheilded is the ASIP radio (common military FM reciever/transmitter)

and critical components in a M1A2SEP Tank.

Although they are sheilded, I don't know what kind of field testing they have undergone, or how strong of an EMP they could take. I would guess that it is only light sheilding, you would have to consider the strength of the EMP in proximity to a nuclear blast, because I seriously doubt they would pay to sheild against a strong EMP blast that would be close enough to the explosion to destroy the equipment anyway.

*hey jung ... I know you did'nt need the descriptions, lol ... was for everone else's benefit* ;)