WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Most influential band

All right people. I wanna know who thinks what about influential bands. Who's the most influential? The least? Does it even really matter? Just give a band name. Simple as that.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
in the whole tapestry it's undoubtably the beatles, just because of time/place and level of exposure..
personally it's black sabbath, if a band says they like sabbath they are usually very good.
and ideally it would be royal trux.. imagine a world with more bands like that.. :)

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
I posed this same question at another website, dedicated to music.

We basically came up with 3 bands we could all agree on.

-The Beatles
-Elvis Presley
-The Beach Boys

I think a case could also be made for:

-Elvis Costello
-The Ramones
-Coltrane
-KISS

Mr. Sandman

acidum arsenici
John Coltrane
Miles davis,
Public enemy,
KRS-ONE,
Beatles,
Black sabbath,

Coltrane and Davis were just musical genuises. Miles davis changed the style of jazz like 4 times in his lifetime.
Public Enemy and KRS-ONE were the first to really take political hip-hop up a notch.
Beatles and Sabbath made there own sound, that everyone else copied.

Base

it's a motherfucker
I think:

The Beatles (right time right place, laying down the building blocks)
Nirvana (New sound at the time and influenced alot of bands today)

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Base said:
I think:

The Beatles (right time right place, laying down the building blocks)
Nirvana (New sound at the time and influenced alot of bands today)
nirvana were by their own admission influenced by the pixies.. if you want an alternative band of influence the pixies cast the biggest shadow.

PoisonIvy

I hate plants!!
I totally agree with Elvis, Black Sabbath and The Beatles. But Guns & Roses and Queen should also be considered because Guns virtually created the 'hard rock lifestyle' and Queen took rock to another level lyrically. Two words to back that up: Bohemian Rhapsody.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
PoisonIvy said:
I totally agree with Elvis, Black Sabbath and The Beatles. But Guns & Roses and Queen should also be considered because Guns virtually created the 'hard rock lifestyle' and Queen took rock to another level lyrically. Two words to back that up: Bohemian Rhapsody.
guns and roses?
lifestyle see any band living in LA from 1970 onwards.. and crue did the rock excess better (nikki sixx ODd, died, broke out of hospital, ran home for more heroin..)
image see hanoi rocks circa 1982..

we are missing velvet underground and sonic youth.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
PoisonIvy said:
Guns and Roses were not influential about anything other than to continue the drugs abuse and assholeness stardom thrusts upon ppl. thier music, aside form a few songs, was just as pop culture to our era as brittany and aguilera are to yours. Axle had no originality, no flare. Just a mean kid in a flannel with a microphone and a whiny voice.

Janis Joplin
Stevie Nix
Madonna
Patsy Cline

All of which had thier own cult like following, and without whom the female artists of today would not be taken as seriously. but, even so, female artists are not taken serioiusly, not in the music world.

Speechless

Stardust's boyfriend
PoisonIvy said:
Guns N' Roses are good but they weren't the first with their style.

But I think The Rolling Stones should be on the list, and maybe Sex Pistols and/or The Clash

Influential to music I give a shit about?

Minor fucking Threat.

what about the classical composers? i mean, they kind of started it all :p

Boycott

Soul Doubt
TheLampIncident said:
Influential to music I give a shit about?

Minor fucking Threat.
Honestly, this guy just comes out of no where one day and says "Hey, I'm you."

Minor Threat, The Descendents, and Bad Brains pretty much are the three most influencial punk groups... Or you could also argue that the Ramones, Misfits, Sex Pistols etc. paved the road, but I personally think it's minor threat and bad brains...

Minor Threat and Bad Brains are both hardcore bands, not punk bands.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
TheLampIncident said:
Yeah, but all that matters is...

"Power violence or powerviolence is a sub-genre of grindcore, thrashcore, and hardcore punk, generally played at a frantic speed, often employing blast beats, and expressing frenzied rage."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerviolence

Haha, Lamp we could go on all day...

"Michael Azerrad's Our Band Could Be Your Life traces hardcore, ultimately, to three bands: He calls LA's Black Flag (formed in 1976) the music's "godfathers"; credits the Bad Brains, formed in Washington, D.C. in 1978, with introducing their often astonishingly fast "light speed" tempos; and calls Minor Threat, another Washington, D.C. group formed in 1980, the "definitive" hardcore punk band."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_punk

How about we leave it at "Minor Threat and Bad Brains are influential to punk music."

Oh, I don't care who's influential to what.

I just know what I like.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Charles Bronson is influential to that "not really music" type of music, right?

Over the last couple months, I've noticed that if I go more than a certain amount of hours without listening to a Charles Bronson song, I lose my grip.

I <3 CB xoxoxoxo

Also, after reading that Wikipedia definition, I looked up No Comment. Holy moly, that was some good mackerole.