WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

moving...

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
so after my discharge from he military(thank god) i was unable to find work in virginia... no surprise va blows... but im bout guarenteed a job with an company that helps oil companies get to the oil better.... means i have to move since no oil in va.... I was planning on louisiana at first but now it seems gonna be texas... mostly cause of the disaster...

anyway, since I've moved on my own I've lived in the same apartment... nothing else.. I've lived in apartments for about 15 years... but prior to that I grew up in an actual house.... for about 13 years... I of course miss the idea of living in a house and since im guarenteed a veterans assistance home loan I will be getting a house wherever i go.... my wife has only ever lived in apartments.... she has no idea of what it is to live in a house.. my son either... this apartment i live in now he has lived most his life...

just wondering what kind of changes I can expect in my family as we upgrade to a bigger and better life..

and to let you know im moving...

A lot more kids? :love:

Personally I believe kids are happier when they grow up in houses, more things to mess up for you to cleanup after them ye know?
Btw, I personally don't have any kids, but I'm getting there so I'm really keeping my eyes open... :cfingers:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
just living next to other people that own rather than other renters in other apartments really improves your standard of life..

get an alarm or a dog, in apartments your neighbours can hear if your door gets forced while you're at work but in a house on a lot you are on your own..

get an emergency fund, just a few dollars at first but build it up.. eventually you need to be able to cover any deductible on any insurance claim for any accident.. not having a landlord is a wake up call sometimes..

when you get the alarm set it off and see how long it takes the cops to come, they don't mind the first time really say to them you are getting used to it, then you know what to expect..

don't spend gazillions of dollars making the house nice straight away.. firstly you might hate the house/area and want to move, but also your job might move you.. spend slowly and do the work yourself if possible.. we bought a 1968 three storey house that needs 'making pretty' as my wife calls it.. i'm doing the work but we're spreading it out over the next few years.. rather than dumping $30k on it and getting a load of jacklegs working on it.. i'll do it by having a week off every couple of months..

make friends with your neighbours but tell them you sleep next to a gun.

sit on the front porch and congratulate yourself over a cold beer.. good luck.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
im such a handyman tho... i love to fix shit and renovate...

Boycott

Soul Doubt
We recently (about a year and 2 months ago) moved from a 1 bedroom house to a 4 or 5 bedroom house. Huge difference in everything... I find that I'm much happier in a bigger house than I was in the small one (I was depressed all the time etc)... If your kid is small (i.e. 5-ish) try to pick a street with a lot of kids the same age on it (scope out the street without looking like a pedofile) ... I lived in an apartment when I was 1-2 and don't remember it at all, a farm house from 2-3 that I don't remember and from 3-15 I was in a small house... It was horrible, but "cozy" ...

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
but yeah... I'll prolly get ADT or something to keep the house protected... i got two cats at the moment and I've already laid down the law that there shall be no further animals untill these two are gone or dead...

try to find a nice neighborhood... dont need any evil people.... well except me... :D

I just want to have an upstairs again.... so even a rancher is out... and a back yard...