WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

MSI 5200 128Mb video card sucks

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Can you belive this? I had to go out and buy another 128mb video card for my computer even though I had one. I had a MSI 5200 128mb card in but I found out that it was making my graphics run very slow in my games. I went out and bought an ATI Radean 9200 128mb card and it works a whole lot better. It goes to show you, never buy MSI products. The only thing I hate to say is, I have a MSI motherboard. I hope that does not fuck up. Right now it seems to be running good and fast.

Jung

???
Premium
It probably sucked because it was a 5200, not because it was an MSI.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Maybe, I don't know. All I know is that I finnally got a good one that works. :thumbsup: I was tired of seeing my gamming graphics move is slow mode...lol.

Jung

???
Premium
Yeah, I can understand that. The 5200 isn't that great of a card; I know because I had the misfortune of owning one when they first came out. :(

tzedek

Original Member
Your games lag becuase you only have 256 RAM, not becuase of the video card. I have the same card and nothing I play lags. The 9200 that you "upgraded" to actually isnt any better.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Well I am working on getting the 256mb video card as soon as I upgrade my memory from 256 to 1gig

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
tzedek said:
Your games lag becuase you only have 256 RAM, not becuase of the video card. I have the same card and nothing I play lags.
Did you just read what I told Jung, I said that I fix the problem by getting a better card. It works a lot better, it is not because of my memory. Otherwise, the card I just bought would not even work. Jeez

tzedek

Original Member
Cuddles said:
Did you just read what I told Jung, I said that I fix the problem by getting a better card. It works a lot better, it is not because of my memory. Otherwise, the card I just bought would not even work. Jeez
that doesnt make any sense, seeing as how you basically downgraded your video card. Unless you went from a 4x to 8x or something i dont see how that would fix anything. :confused:

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
tzedek said:
that doesnt make any sense, seeing as how you basically downgraded your video card. Unless you went from a 4x to 8x or something i dont see how that would fix anything. :confused:
How is that if I'm going from a MSI 5200 128mb 8x to an ATI Radean 9200 128mb 8x downgrading. Answer that one for me and give a good expanation?

Jung

???
Premium
tzedek said:
Sure it does; RAM and vRAM/Video card both play a part in rendering 3d graphics well. If you're lacking in either, you'll see performance degradation. If you're lacking in both, upgrading only one won't make a noticeable difference.

That 9200 is a better card than the 5200 though. I don't see why you think she downgraded.

tzedek

Original Member
junglizm said:
Sure it does; RAM and vRAM/Video card both play a part in rendering 3d graphics well. If you're lacking in either, you'll see performance degradation. If you're lacking in both, upgrading only one won't make a noticeable difference.

That 9200 is a better card than the 5200 though. I don't see why you think she downgraded.

They are the same type of card, low end budget type. The 5200 has speeds 250/333 and the 9200 has 200/400.

Cuddles said:
How is that if I'm going from a MSI 5200 128mb 8x to an ATI Radean 9200 128mb 8x downgrading. Answer that one for me and give a good expanation?

The 5200 has higher core speed.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
I don't see where it was low in budget. It is a lot better than what most people have and that is 64mb and so on. The one I just bought requires 64mb of system memory, but for graphics to actually work it says it needs 128mb of system memory. I have 256mb, there for yes it does work. It makes my games play a lot smoother than with the other 5200 one that would make my games load slowly and make my graphics play very slow. With this card, I can see a huge difference. It loads faster, plays faster, and the graphics look a lot better.

tzedek

Original Member
http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Video-Cards/FX-5200-vs-R9200/4/

Although the FX5200 consistently performs better than the R9200, their performance is still very close, and probably undetectable to the eye. So which card do you buy? Well, although I personally would never use 2X AA and 8X AF with the budget cards like we have here today, the purpose of running 2X AA and 8X AF in these tests is to give some sort of deciding factor as to which card is superior. With that said, the FX5200 is hands-down, the better video card, from a performance perspective. There are other reasons though, as to why the FX5200 beats the R9200.

see for yourself

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Can't you ever stay on topic and stop crying like a baby over spelling?

Jung

???
Premium
Cuddles said:
I don't see where it was low in budget.
It is a low budget card. It's many tiers under cutting edge, or even average, for gaming. Hmm, I could be wrong about that card; I'm by no means a video card guru. I've always heard, and read, that it was better than the 5200 though. In all fairness though, that's only one review.

Who cares though, if it works for her.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Hey, I am not saying to stop using a 5200 over 9200, but what would you want to play with. One that slows your games down or one that speeds them up and you can actually play them with no problem? That is why I choose the 9200. I mean with the 5200 I was sitting for like 3 minutes for the game to load and all it would do is skip. With the 9200 It look less than a minute to load with no skips.

tzedek

Original Member
Cuddles said:
Hey, I am not saying to stop using a 5200 over 9200, but what would you want to play with. One that slows your games down or one that speeds them up and you can actually play them with no problem? That is why I choose the 9200.
hey, if your personal expierences go against what objective testing results would suggest, then congrats. But to say that the 5200 "sucks" compared to your 9200 is just absurd. BTW, Is your old 5200 going to be for sale?

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
Nope, I am giving that sucker to my boyfriend, he only has a 64mb card. It only costed me $70. The 9200 though coasted me $100 and some change. Sorry I can't sell it to you though.