WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Multiple realities or one?

Multiple realities or just one?

• many realities exist at the same time

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • only one reality this one

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • who cares

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • who knows

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I wonder how many of you believe in multiple realities? I'm just curious.

Multiple realities is an idea, currently being toyed with in physics, that every single decision at all times spawns a reality where one thing happens, and another where something different happened.

You cross the street against a red light. In one reality you make it. In another you get hit by a car. In another you find a wallet. The idea that all these realities exist at one time, in seperate realities.

Movies that deal with this a bit: The One, an episode of South Park with evil cartman being good, any "What If" kind of movie where the Nazi's win WW2 for example.

Slacker

Postaholic
Srry not to be stupid but what do you mean "multiple reality"?

Nunzii

®åvïñg §hëêþðhò£íç
i voted for who cares....cause i dont and i also dont know what the fuck your talking about

I wholeheartedly aggree in multiple realities. I cannot offer any type of 'mental masturbation' for reasons, I simply think that they do exist because it was beaten into me as a child...and honestly, I like the idea and think it makes more sense.

i would have to say yes multple realities do exist to an extent.
if you choose to have salad instead of soup then you might be hungry later. but that won't change your life significantly

but
if you choose this girl over that one or this guy over that one then you life has just become significantly changed and therefore you have chosen one of the many realities possible.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
LittleRedBook said:
I wholeheartedly aggree in multiple realities. I cannot offer any type of 'mental masturbation' for reasons, I simply think that they do exist because it was beaten into me as a child...and honestly, I like the idea and think it makes more sense.
Interesting, your dad was an alcoholic Quantum Physicist too?

Insanitee

I know where you live!
You should tie this in with chaos theory:
Chaos theory, in mathematics, physics, and other fields, a set of ideas that attempts to reveal structure in aperiodic, unpredictable dynamic systems such as cloud formation or the fluctuation of biological populations. Although chaotic systems obey certain rules that can be described by mathematical equations, chaos theory shows the difficulty of predicting their long-range behavior. In the last half of the 20th cent., theorists in various scientific disciplines began to believe that the type of linear analysis used in classical applied mathematics presumes an orderly periodicity that rarely occurs in nature; in the quest to discover regularities, disorder had been ignored. Thus, chaos theorists have set about constructing deterministic, nonlinear dynamic models that elucidate irregular, unpredictable behavior. Some of the early investigators of chaos were the American physicist Mitchell Feigenbaum; the Polish-born mathematician and inventor of fractals Benoit Mandelbrot; the American mathematician James Yorke, who popularized the term “chaos”; and the American meteorologist Edward Lorenz.
~
If what you have described is true then for each and every conscious creature on this planet, thousands of new realities would be created every day. Now multiply this by the number of conscious beings on this planet. I don’t think there’s a word for a number that big. The creation of these new realities would be chaotic. And do you think that once another reality is created the "other you" continues on, living that different path creating more alternate realities!

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
in sg1 there are several episodes that deal with exactly waht you have mentioned. i believe that it would be interesting to find. obviously if a reality is spawned with each new decision there are infinitely many as billions of people make hundreds of decisions each day, each of which could spawn a new reality. if this is true then space is likely not the final frontier

WaFfLeS

Banned - What an Asshat!
Ok...I think I get it, multiple realitys.

There is no one reality. Each of us lives in a separate universe. That's not speaking metaphorically. This is the hypothesis of the stark nature of reality suggested by recent developments in quantum physics. Reality in a dynamic universe is non-objective. Consciousness is the only reality.

If you cross the street, one reality is some guy could hit you, another is that you find a dollar on the way across, or you just simply cross and continue to your destination.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
The only correct answer is "who knows"

I think there is multiple realities. But I don't really know.

multiple realities. what if d-day had failed? what if jesus hadn't been persecuted? what if we had invaded japan instead of just nuking it....?

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
dull_bullet said:
multiple realities. what if d-day had failed? what if jesus hadn't been persecuted? what if we had invaded japan instead of just nuking it....?
1- what if d-day had failed ? : We would probably not be here, because our parents would've probably not been born, other babies would have been born instead. The world would be different.

2- What if jesus hadn't been persecuted? : Christianism would not exist.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Many realities.

My philosophy:
Reality implies perception. Perception is conotative (defined by a person, not necessarily accepted by all). Reality is just the understanding of life and the physical state of being in it. If we all had the same reality, we'd all be living the same life. The only thing that makes us seem like we have the same reality is when common things bring us together. This is why people have friendships, relationships, etc. The closer our realities are, the stronger potential we have for those friendships and relationships.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
LiberatioN said:
Many realities.

My philosophy:
Reality implies perception. Perception is conotative (defined by a person, not necessarily accepted by all). Reality is just the understanding of life and the physical state of being in it. If we all had the same reality, we'd all be living the same life. The only thing that makes us seem like we have the same reality is when common things bring us together. This is why people have friendships, relationships, etc. The closer our realities are, the stronger potential we have for those friendships and relationships.
Yeah, but it depends of your definition of reality. That would be individual reality.

But how about reality, as a whole? It would be the same reality for all humans. Like, all the atoms are at the same place at the same time for everyone. The statue of liberty is not in Beijing for some and New York for others, everything is the same for everyone.

Then there could be other realities that humans couldn't live in, feel or see..

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Since I started this I should weigh in. I'm pretty sold on the multiple realities theories. There are so many times I've done something so major it would have changed everything for me, and sometimes you get that "walking over your grave" feeling... well sometimes I think I just barely skirted something terrible, but it may have still happened, just not to me that goodness. I am interested in the current theoretical models of such a multiverse. Interesting food for thought.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
RageAgainst said:
Yeah, but it depends of your definition of reality. That would be individual reality.

But how about reality, as a whole? It would be the same reality for all humans. Like, all the atoms are at the same place at the same time for everyone. The statue of liberty is not in Beijing for some and New York for others, everything is the same for everyone.

Then there could be other realities that humans couldn't live in, feel or see..
My point is that no one lives in the same exact reality. There may be many similarities of commonplace and structure, but beyond that no life is exactly like the next.