WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

My computer was designed to reject Linux!

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
According to a eerily calm Inidian man named Escheesth(sp, definitely), my old-ass Inspiron 7000 laptop is not "Linux compatible". :rolleyes:

About a half hour ago, a strange thin, vertical red line that stretched most of my screen appeared. It only showed against black or gray. I was told it was probably dead pixels, but I knew something fishy was afoot. I called Dell tech support (actually, I found a way to talk to an actual human being quickly. Just punch in and vocalize gibberish. They'll think you're retarded, and patch you over to a human being), and I was told that my problem wasn't dead pixels. Apparently, the Inspiron 7000's video card does not support Linux. It only supports MICROSOFT WINDOWS. Now, I deduced that getting a new video card would solve the problem. Supposedly not. According to him, the only way to get the bars off my screen is to switch back over to MICROSOFT WINDOWS.

Dell == "MS's_bitches"

Bastards.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
screw_ball said:
According to a eerily calm Inidian man named Escheesth(sp, definitely), my old-ass Inspiron 7000 laptop is not "Linux compatible". :rolleyes:

About a half hour ago, a strange thin, vertical red line that stretched most of my screen appeared. It only showed against black or gray. I was told it was probably dead pixels, but I knew something fishy was afoot. I called Dell tech support (actually, I found a way to talk to an actual human being quickly. Just punch in and vocalize gibberish. They'll think you're retarded, and patch you over to a human being), and I was told that my problem wasn't dead pixels. Apparently, the Inspiron 7000's video card does not support Linux. It only supports MICROSOFT WINDOWS. Now, I deduced that getting a new video card would solve the problem. Supposedly not. According to him, the only way to get the bars off my screen is to switch back over to MICROSOFT WINDOWS.

Dell == "MS's_bitches"

Bastards.
Isn't that a laptop? If so you can't exactly get a new video card for it. The video processor is built onto the system board.

Other than that the guy is full of shit. Windows runs on the x86 based platform. Linux runs on the x86 platform. The x86 platform couldn't care what's running on it. That's like saying your car will only run with Citgo gasoline in it.

Tech support probably only SUPPORTS Windows but that doesn't mean you can't run Linux. It just means they won't support it.

As for the red lines... well... did you restart your X server? Or were you even running an X server at the time?

Descent

Hella Constipated
screw_ball said:

Dell == "MS's_bitches"

Bastards.
www.neomagic.com

I also have a Neomagic chip in my Thinkpad 600E - Neomagic is a pile of shit, and they and they alone have made a whole geenration of laptops suck.

Neomagic video chipsets support Direct3D and OpenGL, but PROPER DRIVERS WERE NEVER WRITTEN.

A working OpenGL ICD is non-existant...However, their Direct3D code is totally broken but it does work via config hacking in a few games.

The very sad part?

It's as fast as a Voodoo2...I would know, I've fucking run games at low-res with my Neomagic MagicGraph 256AV. It only has 2.5MB of VRAM but is insanely fast at low resolutions that eliminate the memory issues, so fast in fact it makes my stomach turn.

They were highly competitive chipsets - but they never had good drivers. Quite a shame - a Voodoo2 level chipset would have been quite desireable in 1998-1999.

The MagicGraph 256XL+ does, however, have working Direct3D drivers - and by using an OpenGL wrapper you can get OpenGL support. The same goes for a good Glide wrapper.

Disadvantaged-c

omfgwtfbbqsteakmix
what distro is it? and what kernel version is it?. You should be able to get drivers, or try downloading knoppix (live linux cd) and seeing if that works, it should because it autodetects your hardware, if linux boots up off that then you shouldnt have a problem with any other distro.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Fuck Knoppix. I couldn't get it anyways, since I don't want to pay 80 bucks for a fucking USB burner (my computer doesn't even have FireWire). I'll be getting Ubuntu 5.10 in a few weeks. Hopefully that'll work in my favor. Or I could just re-install the current version of Ubuntu I have. Never had this problem before.

Jung

???
Premium
Why would anyone purposely subject themselves to Mandrake or Suse?

I doubt this problem is even OS related, it's probably the LCD on his laptop. To be sure though, have you tried redoing your Xconfig?

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
If your version of Ubuntu doesn't use X.org, replace xorg with xfree86.

screwy

BIG BLACK DICKS
Again, Disadvantaged, the OS is running fine, and I've been running it for damn near six months without problem. I'll try the xconfig.

EDIT: Not working...

wilko125

Rep My Post
surely if his xconfig wasnt set up to start properly; his x server woiuldnt start btw xconfig is autoset up with generic vesa framebuffer so there should be no probs if he hadnt set it up or not.

EDIT: I retarded up! dw