WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

My french teach needs to die

monkers7

Fresh Meat
Ms.Hunemuller

I am writing this letter because we have suffered enough through the trial and error method of Ms. Hunemuller’s teaching method. We as a class and a form of a democratic body have been tired of knowing and repeatedly reviewing French 1 words and phrases, yet being completely lost and misdirected in French 2 and French 3. A small glimmer of hope lies in French 4 by way of Mrs. Breddin.
As I have repeated observed from her class, she repeatedly goes over simple words and refuses to go into detail on harder and more complex words that have a concept in French that do not exist in English. We in French 2 have never had a work sheet or any type of review that has been formally constructed or even been hand made. We have never had a review that is where it is student based and driven. The French language we are receiving is completely inaccurate as there is no structure to her teaching or is there a review.
At the beginning of this year we had no pretest to determine our level of ability or our understanding of what we knew. Our French 2 classes is a mix of Holmes and Peet kids, I do understand that our lessons differed and our words vary from class to class, yet if we were to take a test over what we knew, we could be far ahead of the point we are at now, and be continuously learning and implementing new ideas.
Other things that I have noticed over the last near semester of observing and participating in French 2. Ms. Hunemuller has a very condescending teach method where all students are below her level and not worthy of being completely informed of the situation at hand, hence her “you will gradually pick up on this concept and phrase,” yet if we simply had a worksheet and some entire class reviews we could simply learn and use the phrase quickly and frequently. Each day we are spoken to, and occasionally we watch a video where the only form other than spoken French is written French, in which, if we do not get the concept of the word or phrase seeing it written will not help commit it to memory because it has nothing to be associated with.
We are often shown the word or phrase written on the overhead, yet when it is a verb she decides that we will easily fill in the rest of the verbs conjugation even though she hasn’t taught us how to conjugate anything. We are also shown only one conjugation of a verb, usually the il form (he), without any knowledge of whether it is a regular ir, er, re, or an irregular verb.
To conclude, I have not witnessed or even detected a hint of a decent teaching pattern that will work for me or the other students. I can tell the other students are not learning well because there is very, very little activity to answer a question or to even acknowledge that they know the information that is being asked.
If you agree with this, please clearly print your name and signature on the paper(s) below and number your printed name in sequential order.

Mainly viewed by her students, nobody needs to sign this. Thanks for sharing my pain
Signed by:

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
i feel for you.

a shitty teacher can really kill any drive a student may have for the subject.

i would have some other students help you rewrite the main concerns as it doesn't flow too well, and if reworked, it will most likely be taken more seriously by admin.

knowing the subject and being able to teach it are not the same. sounds like she may not understand how to transfer what she knows...or she may just be lost and acting like she is above going over the basics.
if she has not set a framework, i can imagine how lost you might feel. that sucks.

good luck

Think about it this way. Unless you actually live in France, Canada, or some African country where they speak French, you'll never need it. Switch to Spanish. Quite a percentage of people in the U.S. speak Spanish, so it's good to know. Also count just about every country in South America. And Spain.

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
Shaman Yoh said:
Think about it this way. Unless you actually live in France, Canada, or some African country where they speak French, you'll never need it. Switch to Spanish. Quite a percentage of people in the U.S. speak Spanish, so it's good to know. Also count just about every country in South America. And Spain.
think about it this way. people travel and the most common things are not always the most interesting to everyone.

it was very helpful of you to point out some spanish speaking countries for us.

helpful lad.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Shaman Yoh said:
my pigeon french did me very well in laos, cambodia etc.. they were french colonies too. i have a bit of a lot of languages, basic french, german, dutch, spanish, even arabic, hebrew and thai.. helps a lot when you're on the road to speak at least a few words.. (numbers, yes/no, thanks, fuck off..) that way you get a bit more respect for trying at the very least..