WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

My New Shit

Deadlynome

Metal Master
I got a Chaintech GeForce6600 card for 125 bucks and a new PSU to go with it. Anyone else have or know about this card, it got VERY good reviews on newegg.

Jung

???
Premium
6600s aren't that great, they're budget cards; don't expect to play any new games at high resolution or high settings, and you can forget about AA and AF. Also, NewEgg reviews are worthless.

Deadlynome

Metal Master
junglizm said:
6600s aren't that great, they're budget cards; don't expect to play any new games at high resolution or high settings, and you can forget about AA and AF. Also, NewEgg reviews are worthless.
It can play doom 3 and hl2 at full settings. I'm not that big of a gamer, I dont even have either of the previously mentioned games. I just needed somthin that could handle okay games. I agree with you about the Newegg reviews with the exception that you can look at the problems people have had with the hardware. Of course, if there is some random problem the person is either a dumbass or recieved a defective problem.

Jung

???
Premium
It can play doom 3 and hl2 at full settings. I'm not that big of a gamer, I dont even have either of the previously mentioned games.
I seriously doubt that, unless you're playing at very low resolution, like I said. But how you know that without owning them, I don't know.

I guess I'm missing the point to this thread though, since you already seem to have an idea of what this card can do. But like I said, it's a budget card so it won't be great in newer games unless you play them at low resolutions or low settings. The 6600GT is more of the middle low end card, the 6600 really isn't a gaming card. Read this review, it's for the X800 but contains benchmarks for the 6600GT and a few other cards. The 6600 isn't even shown there, but performs worse than the 6600GT, so you can kind of gauge how it will perform given similar settings and resolutions. I'd say the 6600 performs a good bit slower than the X700 in those reviews.

i got a 6600gt, and i can run half life 2 and battlefield 2 at 1280x1024 without compromising the graphics completely....