WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

My roommate lacks discipline

Jenkies

The Dude
I'm pretty big into working out and staying healthy, and a while ago earlier this year my roommate expressed an interest in starting to lift weights and eating a little better so he could get in shape so I said sure I'd teach him the ropes, all he has to do is have a little motivation and discipline. So I take him to the gym with me like twice, and after two days of eating the foods that I eat every day, he stops doing it cause he can't handle it. The kid has no motivation even though he says he really wants to get in shape. By the way, he's gained about 30 pounds so far since coming to college cause he drinks like 4 times a week and eats like shit.

Just recently about a month ago he got back into it and he said he was really gonna try this time. Now I'm hoping that he is telling the truth cause it really makes me angry when I take the time to teach someone all there is to know about weight lifting and eating, and they say they are really gonna try then they give up, because this has happened to me with other kids before. This time he was actually going for a good two weeks with the working out and healthy eating, then he goes home for spring break and resumes his old habits, there's a shock!

It really doesn't matter to me how the kid wants to eat or live his life, but he needs to quit saying he wants to improve his body and "Oh, I'm definitely gonna start back up again tommorrow" then not do it. I really don't have a shred of pity for people that do shit like this.

/rant

bnccoder

Postaholic
Jenkies said:
By the way, he's gained about 30 pounds so far since coming to college cause he drinks like 4 times a week and eats like shit.
That must make for some really bad breath. Back on topic, what kind of diet do you have him on? Some diets just arn't right for some people and he might be one of them.

DIZNUTS

Ñúñ'§ þêG £ègGéÐ /\/\å±ëý
bnccoder said:
That must make for some really bad breath. Back on topic, what kind of diet do you have him on? Some diets just arn't right for some people and he might be one of them.
yea i'm wondering the same thing......b4 my car accident(couldnt lift for like 8 months) just started lifting not 2 long ago....well be fore the accident i would eat about one big ass can of tuna(you know the BIG ones that have like 30 servings or something) thats like 300+g of protein right there.....and i would eat lots of chicken....now i eat junk cuz i can't afford shit cuz of my job and bills and everything....got into debt cuz of my engine swap but thats a diff story...once i pay off the debt i will start goin 2 the gym again and eating good.....

Jenkies

The Dude
bnccoder said:
Anyone is capable of doing the diet I do, you just gotta make time to eat and stick to it. He wants to put on some muscle mass so I had him eating like I do which is 6 or 7 times per day with lots of protein sources like chicken and tuna, carbs like oatmeal, wheat bread, apples, rice, and fats like peanut butter and almonds.

bnccoder

Postaholic
If you get the carbs to high he might end up gaining weight. His metabolism might not be as high as yours.

Easty

Click click boom
same with my roomie, just no academic discipline

Jenkies

The Dude
he wants to gain weight, just not bad fat weight. With whole grain carb sources like the ones I listed, you can keep fat gain to a minimum while building muscle.

lilwyteboy

Dain bramaged
I was lifting weights for a while, but then I had to stop because some things got in the way. I'm wanting to get back into lifting weights. You said something about high proteins, carbs, and certain fats. So what other kind of foods help with muscle gain? I'd like to know for when I start lifting again. I appreciate any help.

Jenkies

The Dude
To build muscle one needs a surplus of calories every day. The best way to go about this is to figure out what your body's maintenance calorie level is to maintain weight every day. Just search on the internet, there is some formula I forget that roughly gives you maintenance level, then start eating about 500 calories per day over that level. It is also important to get lots of protein and carbs, I suggest eating about 1.5 grams of protein per body weight every day. So basically you should be eating anywhere from 40-50 grams of protein per meal. I'd suggest having your total carbs for the day above the level of protein, I take in roughly 300 grams of protein and 450 carbs per day. Try to keep fat intake low, but still try to eat healthy fats like omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. THese can be found in fish, nuts such as almonds, natural peanut butter, flax seed oil, and fish oil capsules. Hope some of this helped