WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Fringe Mystery radio signals that baffled astronomers for years came from the staff microwave

ib4

Error
Staff
A telescope started picking up the signals in 1998

Beginning in the late '90s, once or twice a year, astronomers operating the telescope at the Parkes Observatory in New South Wales, Australia would pick up mysterious radio signals. These signals were known as perytons, described in a recent report as "millisecond-duration transients of terrestrial origin." The researchers believed the perytons were linked to atmospheric activity such as lightning strikes, and they held this belief for around 17 years, until this year, when they installed a new receiver to monitor interference, The Guardian reports. The actual source of the perytons? A microwave.

More @
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/10/8581471/parkes-radio-telescope-radio-signals-microwave

MisterFister

There's a very good chance that I don't care.
That's really funny and interesting. Thank you very much for posting this.

• 1Like
Reactions: ib4

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
Makes you wonder if they can be picked up by a satellite what else the perytons are doing.

Probably nothing………

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
There was one a while back where they thought they were picking up a deep space signal. Turns out it was Voyager.

BudVugger

Jergens
Premium
Stunning discovery! I never knew microwaves came from Allen technology, it predates area 51 too!. I wonder what crash we got it from.

• 1LOL
Reactions: ib4

dimduk

daddy was a drinker
If they would place the receiver on the dark side of the moon and had a satellite to transmit the data to earth there would less interference. If we spent as much on space exploration as we do on defense there is no telling where we'd be now.tapiture-d3fa28596b1c8baa5dae75.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: MisterFister

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
If they would place the receiver on the dark side of the moon and had a satellite to transmit the data to earth there would less interference. If we spent as much on space exploration as we do on defense there is no telling where we'd be now.
Or maybe... they just could discern a microwave in their lunchroom from anything else. This shows how small and useless humankind is.

• 1Like
Reactions: dimduk

dimduk

daddy was a drinker
Or maybe... they just could discern a microwave in their lunchroom from anything else. This shows how small and useless humankind is.
We may be small but we've managed to kill off thousands of other species and increase the planets temperature in the span of a thousand years.
the-dar-241.jpg

• 1Agree
Reactions: -=iNsANe=-ADJ

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
If they would place the receiver on the dark side of the moon and had a satellite to transmit the data to earth there would less interference. If we spent as much on space exploration as we do on defense there is no telling where we'd be now.
There is no such thing as the dark side of the moon. All sides get equal amounts of sunlight as it rotates just like Earth.

• 1Agree
  • 1Sad
Reactions: skroo'd and dimduk