WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines NASA announces they have detected water on one of Saturn's moons.

teenswithguns

Hoodrat
NASA announces the Cassini probe has detected geysers of water on Enceladus, one of Saturn's moons. On March 9, 2006, scientists reported in the journal Science that the spacecraft had found evidence of liquid water on Enceladus.

During the first two close flybys of the moon Enceladus in 2005, Cassini discovered a "deflection" in the local magnetic field that is characteristic for the existence of a thin but significant atmosphere. Other measurements obtained at that time point to ionized water vapor as being its main constituent.

The rare occurrence of liquid water so near the surface raises many new questions about the mysterious moon...

"We realize that this is a radical conclusion -- that we may have evidence for liquid water within a body so small and so cold," said Dr. Carolyn Porco, Cassini imaging team leader at Space Science Institute, Boulder, Colo. "However, if we are right, we have significantly broadened the diversity of solar system environments where we might possibly have conditions suitable for living organisms."

Read more...

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
das cool.. its better then frozen water on europa.. shit that means that they will have to update the movie 2010... and the book 2031...

xcountry

It was this frickin' big!
thats pretty cool. liquid water on one of Saturn's moons... possible ability to support life... kind'a makes you think. Imagine all the other places like that that we haven't found yet.

DICLIN

being fat is a sin
xcountry said:
thats pretty cool. liquid water on one of Saturn's moons... possible ability to support life... kind'a makes you think. Imagine all the other places like that that we haven't found yet.

Yeah it makes you think about that stuff.

vIoLeNcE0969

Sir.vIoLeNcE
mars has water, and oxygen but trace amounts..makes you wonder whats in this universe

its good to know we have somewhere to go once were done trashing earth

frgrbrgr

Clitpickle
vIoLeNcE0969 said:
mars has water, and oxygen but trace amounts..makes you wonder whats in this universe

thats a great thought. It'll definitely be a close one: the race to destroy and utterly rape Earth V Space conquest.

~ferg

xcountry

vIoLeNcE0969 said:

yea, we're screwing ourselves up so bad. I hope we don't have to resort to going somewhere else. I like the earth. I've kind'a grown attached to it.
:rolleyes:

Húanzlat

Hoodrat
Well, that should one of our main prioreties; to get the human population to mars so we stop raping this planet, that otherwise has a bountiful biodiversity.:p

If we've already found water on this many heavenly bodies, I believe there's a large chance for one of our other close galaxies to support life, cause maybe only earth has the right position for life in ours.

xcountry

Húanzlat said:
Well, that should one of our main prioreties; to get the human population to mars so we stop raping this planet, that otherwise has a bountiful biodiversity.:p

If we've already found water on this many heavenly bodies, I believe there's a large chance for one of our other close galaxies to support life, cause maybe only earth has the right position for life in ours.
ur right. if we've already found this many moons/planets with water, imagine not only the amount in our neighboring galaxies, but all of the galaxies in the universe :eek:
... wonder if we'll ever find any (or many) more...

Devien

discovery channel junkie
vIoLeNcE0969 said:

mars has water, but it is frozen. liquid water is what is required for life to exist, this is an interesting discovery.

Húanzlat

Hoodrat
mmm... but since ours is the only planet that we know of which contains life, and though life here developed through carbon dioxide, water, nitrogen, argon, ammonium, and some oxygen, i suppose, otherwise there could'nt be water..we really don't have anything to compare with, life could develop through the presence of a totally different combination of elements, though water is supposedly favorable. :)

Btw, has anyone else read Richard Dawkins books on modern darwinism?

BelaLugosi

Esoteric Order of Dagon
Darklight said:
das cool.. its better then frozen water on europa.. shit that means that they will have to update the movie 2010... and the book 2031...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who made an immediate connection to the 2001 series. On an odd side note, in 2001 Arthur C Clarke wrote about Saturn, even though the movie took place on Jupiter. Apparently due to a miscommunication between Clarke and Stanley Kubrick.

It's unfortunate that we have to rely on pictures from a probe. Because it sure would be nice to send a group of scientists to investigate Enceladus for possible developing life, or at least to see if there really is water there or not. One would almost think that we should be farther along in the space travel game, how long has is been since we first landed on the moon? But with all the problems we are having as a nation (and a world), I suppose it makes sense after all.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
actually it was my understanding that it was because we only had good probe images of jupiter is why it took place there in the movie.. btw love the name.. belalugosi..

HannibalJC

Tenderony
Err...I'm not normally a pessimist but something occurred to me...

What if this water does contain Microorganisms? That means that a sample will eventually be collected and brought back to Earth for analysis. But what if those microorganisms are pathogenic (disease-causing) to humans? If it's from such a far away moon, chances are our immune systems haven't seen it before so we'd be doomed! DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

Havok

Mr. Ee
HannibalJC said:

What if this water does contain Microorganisms? That means that a sample will eventually be collected and brought back to Earth for analysis. But what if those microorganisms are pathogenic (disease-causing) to humans? If it's from such a far away moon, chances are our immune systems haven't seen it before so we'd be doomed! DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!
That is a really great, and really creepy thought. I'm sure it would be contained and studied somehow, before it came into contact with a human being. Perhaps.

Or we're DOOOOOOOMED!!

Canadian Pyro

Postaholic
This kind of stuff is so cool. Personally, I think space exploration should be made a major priority before we waste the vast resources of the Earth, and are unable to send a probe so far as low earth orbit.

mmm...cheese

Banned - What an Asshat!
Ya, we could do that... or, we could find a way to use more friendly fuel, recycle better, and spend Earth's materials more wisely! THEN find a new planet that we might spend ITS resources better and not fuck it up like we did Earth!

BTW:
HavokChylde said:
That is a really great, and really creepy thought. I'm sure it would be contained and studied somehow, before it came into contact with a human being. Perhaps.

Or we're DOOOOOOOMED!!
/me makes a trip to the moon.

xcountry

HannibalJC said:

/me shudders.
Hopefully something like that doesn't happened. When your words sank in I nearly peed my pants. :yikes: We would be "DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!"
I hope it doesn't, though. :pray:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
xcountry said:
/me shudders.
Hopefully something like that doesn't happened. When your words sank in I nearly peed my pants. :yikes: We would be "DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!"
I hope it doesn't, though. :pray:
That's why when specimins are brought back to Earth it's done in hermetically sealed containers. It preserves the specimin and keeps us safe.

When we launch deep space probes, we take care to make sure they are sterile for the same reasons. We don't want to introduce any diseases to any other potential plantes.