WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

National Basketball Association

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Alright... let's get down to business!

What's everybody's pick for the upcoming season (east, west, NBA champions, etc)?

Out of the west: Kings

This is their year. They've got everything going for them: No Shaq, an almost unchanged starting lineup (sans-Divac, they're better in my opinion), and, as always, a dynamite collection of talent (C. Webb, Bibby, Peja, and Christy).

Possible problems: Timberwolves, any Game 7's they might encounter (they haven't won a game 7 since moving to Sac-town).

Failing that, there's going to be the usual powerhouses, the T. Wolves and the Spurs. Houston makes the playoffs (could be big later... but only if Mac and Yao mix well).

Out of the east: Detroit

I'm confident in them. With no changes to the starting line up and Darco Milicic getting some playing time (Brown hates rookies), they'll do well (and they'll last, with 'Sheed teaching Darco they've got a strong line up for years).

Possible problems: Shaq (6' 9" Ben Wallace could have some problems, although 'Sheed will be a lot of help). Even though Miami lost a lot of it's depth...

Failing that, other strong teams are the Pacers and Orlando. Miami makes the playoffs.

NoSubstance's Team to Watch: Orlando

Think about it. One of only four players to EVER average 15 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists in his first three seasons (Stevie Francis),

Have to go babysit the neighbors... I'll update this later.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Picking up where I left off...

Think about it. Stevie Francis, One of only four players to EVER average 15 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists in his first three seasons along with Magic Johnson, Orscar Robertson, and Grant Hill, who averaged 19.9 points, 6.9 rebounds, 6.5 assists and a career-high 1.76 steals per game during the 2000-01 season, becoming the first Rockets player and the 18th player in NBA history to lead his team in total points, rebounds and assists. A great shooting guard in Cuttino Mobely (20 points per game), a solid Center (Kelvin Cato, 5 points a game as a backup center to Yao), and a great bench. Jameer Nelson (#14 college player of the year, great backup to Stevie at Point Guard), A 7'1" Rookie Center in Mario Kasun (just needs to put on some weight), AND...

The Number one pick of the lottery... Dwight Howard! This guy's bound to learn fast from all the great Power Forwards in the east... 'Sheed, Darco, Jermaine O'Neal... he's gonna tear it up.

My Prediction: Orlando wins it all in three years

As for this season... Detroit. Looks like the bad boys are back.

Disclaimer: This is, of course, barring injuries.

Post your predictions!

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Nobody has any opinion about basketball?

Basketball isn't my game homie, but when you break it down like that, I'm completely shocked that no one responded, especially when you voiced your opinions so loudly on who's gonna take care of business.

Uncultured swine!

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I got like two, I think three reps for it... but nobody responded :)

It's probably because I'm infallible. They can't touch this *parachute pants*.

Prox

Flame Bait
Ill join in the fun

Out west I say the Kings will win it finaly, however I have different reasons.

First off they need a new stadium, if they don't get it then expect the Las Vegas Kings in a couple years, and everyone knows the best way to get a new stadium is to win a championship.

Second they have the most talented roster. Bibby has become one of the best point gaurds in the league, and Peja is lights out. Their biggest problem will be in the middle since they really dont have a good center. Brad Miller is a PF, but he will be stuck in the middle.

I think their biggest pitfall is actually what many people think is one of their strengths. Webber has been bad for the team for the last couple years. He is injury prone, and worst of all he doesn't play within his game. He is a power player who takes too many jump shots that he just can't make. And when the offense runs through a guy who can't seem to play to his talents then your off to a bad start.

East will be Detroit, Miami, or Indy. Detroit is the obvious choice since they have a great team and defense does win championships. However you can't write off the force that is Shaq and Indy is always good. I think the East will have a very competitive year and finaly get respect from the teams in the west.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Who cares about the rest... SHAQ is with the HEATS... so HEATS will win it all... hopefully, I bought season tickets :confused:

Prox

Flame Bait
ChilianFuckFace said:
Who cares about the rest... SHAQ is with the HEATS... so HEATS will win it all... hopefully, I bought season tickets :confused:
While Shaq is an impact player no ONE regardless of how talented they are can ever win a championship with out an outstanding supporting cast.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Exactly... every Jordan needs a Pippen.

How do you mean that the Kings need a new stadium? Arco Arena has a reputation for intimidating and breaking down opponents (loudest Arena in the league).

I agree with everything but your analysis of C. Webb's role on the Kings. He's not playing his game? That was last season, when he couldn't move his knee laterally. If you watched game 7 of the Kings vs. T.Wolves series, you saw Webber humiliate K.G. on the first basket of the game: He turned is back on him, spun to the middle, pumped fake (K.G. bit and got his ass BURNED), and took an easy bank shot.

If that's not power playing, then I'm not sure what is. Now that he can move his knee correctly, expect to see the old, dominant, all-star C-Webb.

I agree with your analysis of Bibby, that's the reason I own his jersey. Perhaps my favorite player in the league.

And, more nit-picking...

Indiana, while they had the best record in the NBA last year, is not a championship team (yet). Jermain O'Neal's still not on top of his game (which sucks, because Reggie's getting older and may not get to see a tag-team duo like C-Webb Peja... I know Peja's a forward, but Reggie and Peja are both shooters), so I'm not sure they'll have much ring-wise for a while.

Miami, however, is going to have a period of adjustment to go through. They upset their core, I'd be extremely surprised if they took the east.

I think I'm going to start a bet with a few people at the start of the playoffs... go teams!

Prox

Flame Bait
Webber definatly has moments where he flashes back to playing his game, the problem is he doesn't do it through the whole game. He will show people who's boss and then go back to shooting shots he can't make.

As for the new arena, I live about 2 hours from Arco and I would agree that it is probably the best house in the league, but the problem is that the owners want a new stadum that seats more people. Arco is loud because its small and has great fans, but in the business thats sports an owner would rather have a stadium that is slightly less intimidating, but can sell more seats then an arena that is loud, but doesn't seat enough fans to fill the pockets. There has been a lot of talk about it in this area about the fact that the Kings want a new arena.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I agree, the Arco Arena is getting older, but the managers have to remember... If it's less intimidating, home court advantage will be less of an influence. That means they (may) lose more games. Losing more games means less fans coming out every day to watch their Kings win.

Perhaps they could remedy this by giving away even louder noisemakers...

As for Webber, that's all to see. This season had better be big for him, or people will start saying he's washed up.

rainbowblack

fucked up shit
i dont really care about the NBA til after football seasons over

and care about it even less if the Knicks arent playing competitivley

Janglenut

Particinator
Detroit will easily take the east with no real competition now except for Indiana. As said before, Detroit GOT BETTER over the off season, while Indiana lost a couple support players and Miller isn't getting younger.

For NoSubstance, did you see the finals? All any team needs to do is shut down every player BUT shaq and it's a win for the opposing team. Detroit seen this and completely dominated the finals as I predicted. Detroit will win this year with their Defense.

On another note, I think the west will be took by the T. Wolves...

swizeguy

How dare you!?
hey janglenut, you were just giving people on here shit about having a huge post count but personally i think following sports and trying to foretell who will win such a pointless thing is much worse then having a huge post count... and on top of that you even posted it... hmm.....

Janglenut

Particinator
^ Yes, I was giving people shit for posting a lot about USELESS TOPICS, but guess what? This is sports kid, not some useless ramblins of some homo thinking he is hot shit because he can post a lot.

Take a note people, just because you suck at sports and cannot play them, don't critisize those who do.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
hey bud i never said i couldnt play them. i just dont follow them because i dont like to watch them. i think watching sports is stupid i would MUCH rather be out there playing them!

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Too much scoring in basketball, only the last bit of the game is really exciting, and only then if the game is close.

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Alright... grow up you two...

JangleNuts, You (or the NBA and it's fans in general) over estimate Shaq. When his team wins, you say "Shaq's win." Sure, he takes up a huge portion of the salary cap, but you can't shut down all of his team mates. That's like saying you'll shut down Shaq.

Somebody's always gonna be hot. It's Shaq's job to be hot the most, but against powerhouse teams like Detroit, his teammates will pick up the slack. Don't underestimate Miami... but don't overestimate them either. I said they'll make the playoffs, not that they'd get anywhere in them. Expect to see them out in the first or second round.

ReiMeishin... to each their own. I've played Basketball all my life... it's my game.

Swizeguy, some people enjoy this. If you want to get in to it, sports are pointless (excepting the exercise they provide). That doesn't mean, though, that people like me can't enjoy and take part in analysis.

Janglenut

Particinator
NoSubstance said:
but you can't shut down all of his team mates. That's like saying you'll shut down Shaq.

Didn't Detroit accomplish this in the finals?

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Shut down all of his team mates, or shut down Shaq?

In either case, no. Tayshaun Prince covered Kobe well, that was the key. Shaq had 30 points and 20 rebounds one game, so they obviously didn't shut him down. As for the other (lesser) players, they all did their parts. Detroit was just a better team (as a whole).