WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Nearly half of Canadians lack reading skills: report

Jung

???
Premium
Nearly half of Canadians aged 16 and over and a good chunk of university graduates fail to meet the basic standards for reading comprehension, suggests a Statistics Canada report on literacy skills.

The 2003 survey released Wednesday tested 23,000 Canadians on their skills in four areas:

# Prose literacy – understanding longer reading materials including books, editorials, news stories, brochures and instruction manuals.

# Document literacy – understanding shorter reading materials including job applications, payroll forms, maps, tables and charts.

# Numeracy – math skills.

# Problem-solving, goal-directed thinking problems like event planning.

Among adults aged 16 to 65, about 42 per cent scored below Level 3 in prose literacy, which is considered the threshold needed for coping in society.

(Proficiency was rated on a basis of Level 1 to 5, or lowest to highest.)

But when respondents aged 66 and over were also included, those scoring below Level 3 in prose literacy increased to nearly half (48 per cent), or some 12 million adults aged 16 and over.

The report also found 12 per cent of university graduates were at a Level 1 and 2 grade, with two per cent at Level 1.

"The 12 per cent is still puzzling," Francois Nault, Statistics Canada's director of the centre for education statistics, told CBC News Online.

Nault said more analysis is needed, but he believed the low rates could be attributed to graduates who are now elderly and whose literacy skills have deteriorated.

Yukon residents scored the highest literacy rates in the country, suggests the report.

The results may be due to the fact more of the population is of working age, and more of the workforce is in professional occupations.

The territory is followed by British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan with the highest scores, the report suggests.

On the other end of the scale, residents in Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick and Nunavut had average proficiency scores in all four areas that were significantly below the national average.

Quebec also performed below the national average in both the prose and document-literacy domains, but the province was at the national average for numeracy and problem-solving.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/11/09/literacy-stats051109.html

If these results are accurate I'm pretty surprised. I knew Canadian education wasn't exactly in the top among the world, but this is pretty bad. I wonder if the test were in English.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
I knew there was a reason why they don't get all torqued off about violence up there, they can't read the paper...
:confused:

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Canada is so close to America that out dumbness is oozing all over them, they better be careful, or they'll become as dumb as the Average American!

Oh Noes!

R

RedOctober

Well.. It's how your standards are, and I think they are too high in the English speaking world. Nowhere else in the world such endless pages of crap without a meaning are produced than in especially the USA.

And let's be franc about it. It is a nice idea to study Shakespear, but Americans will never get a clou about what he wrote, because it is from another planet in their perspective.

Literature has allways been kinda leftish in the USA, because the right can't produce other things than one liners like... "Read my lips.. No more oil!"

In Canada, there are long winters, so people have enough time to read books, but don't start to ask -wise guy- questions about it.
Ok, William Shakespear was a typical British faggot, so that's why that part of literature isn't very popular in Cannuckistan.

I remember from school "La mission de Slim Kerrigan", what was an adventurous book about how the Mounties gonna get you, when you did something wrong.

Kinda like the Rednecks... Go get them Blue!!!! :D

Translation:
Wal.. It's how yer stan'ards are, an' ah reckon they is too high in th' English speakin' wo'ld, cuss it all t' tarnation. Nowhar else in th' wo'ld sech indless pages of crap wifout a meanin' is prodooced than in especially th' USA. An' less be franc about it. It is a nice idea t'study Shakespear, but South Car'linans will nevah git a clou about whut he wrote, on account o' it is fum t'other planet in their perspeckive. Literature has alllus been kinda lef'ish in th' USA, on account o' th' right kin't prodooce other thin's than one liners like... "Read mah lips.. No mo'e oil! Fry mah hide!" In Kinada, thar is long winters, so varmints haf 'nuff time t'read books, but doesn't start t'ax -wise guy- quesshuns about it. Ok, Billy Joe Shakespear was a typical British faggot, so thass whuffo' thet part of literature ain't mighty popular in Kinnuckistan, as enny fool kin plainly see. ah remember fum skoo "La misshun de Slim Kerrigan", whut was an adventurous book about how th' Mounties gonna git yo', when yo' did sumpin wrong, acco'din' t' th' code o' th' heells! Kinda like th' Rednecks... Git git them Blue!! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide!

Boycott

Soul Doubt
junglizm said:
The 2003 survey released Wednesday tested 23,000 Canadians on their skills in four areas:

If these results are accurate I'm pretty surprised.

I wonder if the test were in English. <-- Way to look bad insulting Canadian's literacy. That should be tests. Or Was.
1. This is directed at 23,000 people in 2003

statcan.ca said:
The population estimates released today continue the trends of recent years. Between July 1st 2004 and July 1st 2005, the Canadian population grew by 0.93% or by 296,100 to 32,270,500.
2. Accurate? Alright, here's a deal. These statistics can be accurate, when we can assume EVERYONE in America voted for Bush, not just 52% of you.

3. You've been to Canada right? Note the bilingual signs... These tests were in English and French.

Jung

???
Premium
Boycott said:
1. This is directed at 23,000 people in 2003
Wow, you're pretty observant.
<-- Way to look bad insulting Canadian's literacy. That should be tests. Or Was.
I wasn't trying to insult Canadians, I was just posting an article I found on another site. Settle down, emo kid. :happysad:

2. Accurate? Alright, here's a deal. These statistics can be accurate, when we can assume EVERYONE in America voted for Bush, not just 52% of you.
I obviously meant accurate within the small fraction of the population that the test encompassed. I don't see what the deal is here, it's not like I was implying the tests were an indication of the entire population of Canada.
3. You've been to Canada right? Note the bilingual signs... These tests were in English and French.
The fact that I've been to Canada numerous times is what led me to say that; most people in the Northern providences speak very little English, if any at all.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
junglizm said:
If these results are accurate I'm pretty surprised. I knew Canadian education wasn't exactly in the top among the world, but this is pretty bad. I wonder if the test were in English.
So you're trying to say that somehow this is to mean
If these results for a small town in Canada are accurate, I'm pretty surprised. I knew that some of Canada's education wasn't exactly the top among the world, considering the education is run by provincial and sometimes municipal governments, but in those tested, this is pretty bad. I wonder if the tests were in English?
And since when is being patriotic to your country, or setting straight that this isn't "half of Canadians", as a whole, but Half of 23,000 Canadians (so 11,500 or 0.03% of the total population) lack reading skills being emo? The fact that I'm debating this with you?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Emo

Sorry Jung, I'm fairly sure you can find a few states in America that lack reading skills as well.

Jung

???
Premium
Boycott said:
So you're trying to say that somehow this is to mean
No, I meant exactly what I said; I saw no point in repeating what was already detailed in the article. If you took it to be an insult then I'm sorry you misunderstood my words. I thought it was blatantly obvious that I was commenting on a test that was only taken by a fraction of people, albeit in various providences. I don't believe I ever indicated otherwise either.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what your issue is.
And since when is being patriotic to your country, or setting straight that this isn't "half of Canadians", as a whole, but Half of 23,000 Canadians (so 11,500 or 0.03% of the total population) lack reading skills being emo?
I don't think there is anything to "set straight" if you actually read the article, as it paints a very clear picture. So what's your point?

The fact that I'm debating this with you?
I don't know why you're even debating this issue. I never said, nor implied, that the study indicated that "half of canadians" were illiterate - that was the name of the article from the source I cited. Thus far all you've done is put words in my mouth and then argue against them. I mean what's your point? You point out numbers that are clearly stated in the article, then act like I implied that they represented all canadians, or "half."

It's called sarcasm, maybe urban dictionary has a definition for that word as well. I'm fairly certain you know what I meant though.

Jung

???
Premium
Boycott said:
Jung - read the title of the thread.
Hi, read the title of the article from cbc.ca; it's not something I came up with.