WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Need a PC.

TwisT

Hooked on Rocks!
So as you all may know I'm probably the one and only mac user here (save your inferior comments, I rock). I need to know what the best PC in a box is. I have a close family member who is purchasing a new PC and wants my help.. In a nut shell she has $1500 to spend, but I would like to keep it closer to $1000 including a monitor, flat panel if possible. I'm not an idiot and I know a few things (basics) of what to have and what she needs. I know that within this price range she'll get a PC that will go above and beyond what she is expecting, But what are the better brands?? Remember, she's coming from an old Compaq presario 2256 and windoz 98.

Also how would I get rid if AOL in windoz ME! my uncle is switching to SBC DSL and wants AOL and all of it's components gone!

Any help would be nice, I know a few of you here really know what's goin on so I would appreciate it!!

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
TwisT said:
So as you all may know I'm probably the one and only mac user here (save your inferior comments, I rock). I need to know what the best PC in a box is. I have a close family member who is purchasing a new PC and wants my help.. In a nut shell she has $1500 to spend, but I would like to keep it closer to $1000 including a monitor, flat panel if possible. I'm not an idiot and I know a few things (basics) of what to have and what she needs. I know that within this price range she'll get a PC that will go above and beyond what she is expecting, But what are the better brands?? Remember, she's coming from an old Compaq presario 2256 and windoz 98.
ok for that much money the best bang for your buck is gonna be a Dell, you could always check out gateway they have some good deals every once in a while.

TwisT said:
Also how would I get rid if AOL in windoz ME! my uncle is switching to SBC DSL and wants AOL and all of it's components gone!
Start > Control Panel > Add Remove Programs > take off anything that relates to AOL

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
TwisT said:

Any help would be nice, I know a few of you here really know what's goin on so I would appreciate it!!
Dell - http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dp_desktop2_2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Alienware

Umm...well you could try for an Alienware....they are good computers, but they cost a lot, not sure if you could get it down to 1500...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
TwisT said:
would you buy one? if your budget was $1000-$1500!
I was under the impression you wanted to keep cost down. You can certainly find a much nicer rig for that range.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Why not buy her a Mac? It's much more user-friendly than the PC...

Descent

Hella Constipated
www.monarchcomputer.com

www.resellerratings.com

Look up Monarch on ResellerRatings, and you will know what I am talking about. Only the finest parts go into their systems.

You should get a Centira AMD Value desktop. They are actually quite capable for games, and are very cheap. Just don't get the 9800 Non-Pro they have for it, it has 128-bit memory.

Jung

???
Premium
TwisT said:
Thanks Jung! But she's 50 not 15.. any other suggestions?
Heh, you can get non-ricey cases from them.

I have a corporate contract with www.pcmall.com, they've always been decent to us. You might want to check them out.

As much as I hate Dell, that wouldn't be such a bad idea in this case.

Descent

Hella Constipated
No, Dell is a horrible idea. If something goes wrong, she's stuck in India.

"Yeah, my only machine won't boot..."

"Yas! Yu neeeed a boootdisk from boootdisk.com!"

I've been through that before...It's not fun (Not from Dell, FYI...Belkin.)

Descent

Hella Constipated
Make sure it has an AMD processor :thumbsup:. Intel sucks balls, and is uber-pricey and slow.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
OMG Descent has been uncocked...welcome back to the city, how was the farm?

Cash21

Clitpickle
Descent said:
Make sure it has an AMD processor :thumbsup:. Intel sucks balls, and is uber-pricey and slow.
I was under the impression that P4 was better than AMD. But that just goes to show how savy I am when it comes to computer tech. Does anyone else share this opinion about AMD CPU's?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Just ask anyone besides Hypertron (Who has never used an AMD CPU since the K6-2).

Trust me...The A64 is the best CPU on the market.

Intel just has fancy marketing...that's all. AMD caters to enthusiasts, and smart people.

Jung

???
Premium
The whole AMD vs. Intel thing is just per opinion. It's the same as Nvidia vs. ATI thing. There will never be a clear winner; one will always excel in an area the other fails in, and the converse.

That said though, I personally like AMD. Their processors are definitely quality, and they're a much better value for their price. You have to love consumer-market-oriented, hybrid 64 bit CPUs too.