WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

need higher capacity email? yahoo & google 1G

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
Yahoo e-mail storage quadruples

By Jonathan Thaw Yahoo Inc., the No. 2 U.S. Internet search engine, will quadruple the storage capacity of its free e-mail service and improve screening for computer viruses to support its position as the most popular Web e-mail service.

Users will be able to store 1 gigabyte of e-mail messages starting in late April, an increase from 250 megabytes Wednesday, Sunnyvale-based Yahoo said. One gigabyte, which equals 1,024 megabytes, is roughly equivalent to the content in 32 feet of shelves filled with books.

Yahoo is matching the e-mail storage offered by Google Inc., the most-used search engine, and topping the 250 megabytes offered by Microsoft Corp.'s MSN. Expanded e-mail storage lets users more easily exchange messages with attachments, such as photos, and search through archives of messages.

"They're removing storage as one of the deciding factors" when people chose an e-mail service, said Charlene Li, an analyst at Cambridge, Mass.-based Forrester Research Inc.

Google's e-mail service, released on a test basis in April 2004, is available to a limited number of users. The company is opening up the service by offering users more invitations that invite others to open an account and offering random visitors to its Web site the opportunity to open an account. Yahoo is "getting ready for Google's general release," Li said.

Yahoo's e-mail service is the Web's most popular, attracting 60 million visitors in February, a 14 percent rise from a year earlier, according to Virginia-based ComScore Networks, which tracks Web use. Time Warner Inc.'s America Online was No. 2 in e-mail with 46.9 million visitors, and MSN was third with 41.9 million. Google was seventh with 2.62 million visitors. "Mail is among the most important properties at Yahoo," Brad Garlinghouse, vice president for Yahoo communications products, said in a telephone interview.
:thumbsup: who knew?

not i, obviously.

Sweet!

Now, if only I was popular enough to receive e-mail. ….hehe. ;)

tzedek

Original Member
6 months ago called, they want their thread back

Descent

Hella Constipated
Damn. Now I'm gonna have to start up my own 100GB Interwebnetz mail service.

Look out Yahoo *Whips out a K6-2*!

Freakless

One Horn3y Mofo
Yah this quote is from a while ago, because google's e-mail service is no longer being just being tested.... you can sign up with out a referal now.

Explosive Flame Bait
Yahoo...

They're sueing xfire for having an instant messenger. What the fuck? Those pompus fucktards at Yahoo need to sit on a flag pole, ill never use their shitty service again.

(sorry, bit off topic, but wanted to get that out)

Freakless

One Horn3y Mofo
13371 said:
Yahoo...

They're sueing xfire for having an instant messenger. What the fuck? Those pompus fucktards at Yahoo need to sit on a flag pole, ill never use their shitty service again.

(sorry, bit off topic, but wanted to get that out)
Heh...
I wish more of my friends would download Xfire instead of IMing me on AIM when I'm playing CS to ask what server I'm in, and in the process force me to restart CS b/c I can't unminimize it..... ugh lol
(sorry, a bit more off topic, but i had to get that out as well)

Diesel

Clitpickle
Actually, the story is only 2 days old. Yes, Yahoo announced a few months ago that they would roll out 1GB of storage, but 2 days ago, actually deployed it to users.

The story is old, but the update is new.

And yes, the Xfire issue is a reason I don't use Yahoo, among the other reasons I don't particularly like their site, but those are personal preference issues.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
Diesel said:
Actually, the story is only 2 days old. Yes, Yahoo announced a few months ago that they would roll out 1GB of storage, but 2 days ago, actually deployed it to users.

The story is old, but the update is new.
yep, that's right. thanks diesel!

Jung

???
Premium
Freakless said:
Yah this quote is from a while ago, because google's e-mail service is no longer being just being tested.... you can sign up with out a referal now.
Gmail is still in Beta, and you do still need invites to sign up.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Stoj sent me his last invite via WTF. I love it.

What ever happened to that guy?

Stoj said:
Sent, but only because of your avatar.

Freakless said:
Heh...
I wish more of my friends would download Xfire instead of IMing me on AIM when I'm playing CS to ask what server I'm in, and in the process force me to restart CS b/c I can't unminimize it..... ugh lol
(sorry, a bit more off topic, but i had to get that out as well)

dude play CS in a window with the dimensions the same as your regular monitor. that way you can talk to friends on AIM at the same time without minimizing so much :thumbsup:

Freakless

One Horn3y Mofo
junglizm said:
Gmail is still in Beta, and you do still need invites to sign up.
How did I sign up w/o an invite?

I went to google.com once, and it had a link to sign up on the bottom..... maybe google likes me <3 heh.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Freakless said:

I went to google.com once, and it had a link to sign up on the bottom..... maybe google likes me <3 heh.
Or you were one of the first people that got to sign up. They allowed so many people in, then they went to this invite thingie.

When you think about it, the invite thing is a good marketing tool. It makes it "exclusive" so people will want it but they can't have it unless they know someone that can give them an invite. So they let a few thousand people sign up (I have no idea how many were initially allowed in, just making up numbers) and then locking it down. So everyone that's NOT in wants in... then they get and invite and feel all special and cool because they're IN. THEN they get to hand out invites which makes them feel even more special...

Good marketing ploy.

Jung

???
Premium
</rant> said:
Thanks, but that wasn't what I was saying. I have more invites than I know what to do with. Also, that's a friend of mine's site; I posted it here a couple times before.
Freakless said:

I don't know, but it's been invite only for quite some time now. I don't acually know anyone who claims to have just signed up.

Freakless

One Horn3y Mofo
junglizm said:
I don't know, but it's been invite only for quite some time now. I don't acually know anyone who claims to have just signed up.
Hmm... I don't know how I did it either.. I just opened up Safari( crappy ass IE for macs ) and went to www.google.com and saw on the bottom "Get your free G-Mail account"...or something along those lines, I don't remember exactly what it said.