WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

need IE help

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
okay, i'm trying to add a computer to my wireless network, and i need Ie 5.5 or greater to use it. but here's the problem, i don't have internet access on the coimpuer i am adding, and i can't save the installer to a disk on the computer i am using right now because it is a web download. in short, does anyone know a place i can get ie so I can save it to a disk?

Why in the name of God do you need IE? That's a scary thought...needing IE? *shudders*

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
Awaken said:
Why in the name of God do you need IE? That's a scary thought...needing IE? *shudders*
i know, the sec i get it up and running, i'm gtting mozilla

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
junglizm said:
Ten seconds on Google would've told you the answer.
yea, well just look at Yuck Fou's sig

EDIT: shit, i just realised that he changed it. it used to have a quote from me saying "what's google"

Jung

???
Premium
Didn't we tell you what Google was last time though?

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
odd... my wireless network came with its own software.. its only dependancy is the router needs a web browser to open the configurations... a bit of a security risk in my opinion but they all seem to be that way... but I cant say it required any specific version of browser.. just something that has SSL...

Jung

???
Premium
Darklight said:
just something that has SSL...
I thought the same thing, but who knows what kind of WAP he has; he might have had a Microsoft one. It really doesn't matter now though, his problem is solved.

Jung

???
Premium
IE gave my cat the AIDS. True story. :(

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
junglizm said:
IE gave my cat the AIDS. True story. :(
wow... sorry to hear that..... gotta remember to keep my cat from sleeping on my laptop... no vd for kitty...

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
MagicHobo said:
I have not read a single post in this forum. Get Mozilla Firefox.
man, i want to flame you so bad right now... but i won't because my meds just kicked in

What do you expect? I come here, first thing I see, IE help. The only thing IE users need to know is to get Firefox. So why waste time when I could cut to the chase?

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
He said that he specifically needs to use IE for his network problem.

Read the question first please.

Jung

???
Premium
MagicHobo said:
What do you expect? I come here, first thing I see, IE help. The only thing IE users need to know is to get Firefox. So why waste time when I could cut to the chase?
Normally that would've been my response, but you should read before replying. He probably only needed a browser that supported SSL 2.0, but the generic thing to do is request Internet Explorer. Some people would freak out if the instrustions said "please make sure your browser supports SSL 2.0." Likewise, there are man people who think that IE is THE only web browser out there, and it would only confuse them to figure out anything else.

If you would've read this thread, you'd see that we already covered this topic. He didn't say, nor did we ask, what brand WAP/W-router he's using. Microsoft DOES make Wifi equipment, so it's not that weird to assume he might be using an appliance that actually DOES require IE to work. (This is pure speculation; I've never used a Microsoft networking appliance.)

In short, read before you reply.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
junglizm said:
He probably only needed a browser that supported SSL 2.0
i'm just curious, what other browser supports SSL 2.0 because i despide ie

btw, the network runs fine now, thanks for all your help

Jung

???
Premium
billybob13 said:
i'm just curious, what other browser supports SSL 2.0 because i despide ie

btw, the network runs fine now, thanks for all your help
Any decent browser should support SSL 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0. If you're looking for a better browser, I'd suggest either Firefox or Opera. Both are great browsers, but Opera isn't free. (although they do offer a free version with adds in it. :thumbsdn: ) Firefox is free, open source and a lot more customizable.

Plus if you decide on Firefox, we can help you customize it to be many times more useful than IE or Opera.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
Premium
junglizm said:
I'd suggest either Firefox

well, i got mozilla up, but it wouldn't work. do I have to use firefox? because i really like the other features (irc chat, pop mail, ect)

Jung

???
Premium
Why wouldn't Mozilla work, what do you mean by that?

Mozilla is decent, but bloated; that's fine though, if you like and use those added features. I tried it for a while, but I found that I didn't lke their IRC and Mail clients. Mozilla development has stopped though, so it's not likely to get any updates aside from security patches.

Firefox is just the slim version of Mozilla; it's just the browser. It's being focused upon for development, so it will continue to get better over time. It's also less bloated and more customizable.

Other than that, you have a few IE shells to pick from: MyIE2, Slim Browser, Avant etc. They only add functionality to IE though, they do nothing to enhance it's security.

If you're not sure, just try a few until you find what you like.