WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Need your Opinion

Shine

Blowing up my pants
I found something.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, but I think you guys are the only people to know if this kind of stuff is decent.

It's a 60gb media-player that plugs into a TV and plays your files, if they can run. It supports DivX and XviD which helps, and can even run 1920x1080i, which is HDTV, provided the TV can do that.

I heard that someone ran linux on it, heh.

Seeing as I just lost all my files because of a Windows boot error, it would be a nice idea backing up all of my new ones. You could bring this over to a friends house and watch a movie in his room with his TV, or just plug it into his computer and watch it off of that. In short, this is the ultimate pirates machine :)

Jung

???
Premium
Shine said:
I found something.

I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, but I think you guys are the only people to know if this kind of stuff is decent.

It's a 60gb media-player that plugs into a TV and plays your files, if they can run. It supports DivX and XviD which helps
I'm with Break; it looks a bit expensive... but it does look more appealing than other players of it's type.
and can even run 1920x1080i, which is HDTV, provided the TV can do that.
Don't forget that you would need both the media to be in HD resolution, and an HD TV capable of playing the interlaced signal. It looks like it can play 720i HD as well, although that's kind of useless unless you own an HDTV.

Also, I wouldn't invest in anything HD related unless it's 720p/1080p capable, since you'll just have to de-interlace the signals later on.
Seeing as I just lost all my files because of a Windows boot error, it would be a nice idea backing up all of my new ones.
If you want something for backups, just buy an external drive; it'll be cheaper and you'll get more space.
Shine said:
You could bring this over to a friends house and watch a movie in his room with his TV, or just plug it into his computer and watch it off of that.
The only thing you'd miss out on with a regular external drive would be the ability to play files directly to TV, but with the price of DVD burners and blanks that ability is negligible. With a regular external drive you'd already be able to connect to a friend's computer by just plugging the cable in, so that's really not a selling point either. Personally, I'd buy a nice sized external drive, a nice dual layer DVD burner and a 100 pack of 16x DVDs. You'll get more for your money, and probably still come out cheaper.

Slacker

Postaholic
I have one of those it work pretty good but it was expsensive!