WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Nepal King Sacks Government, Assumes Power

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
KATHMANDU (Reuters) - Nepal's King Gyanendra sacked the government, declared a state of emergency and assumed power on Tuesday, saying the leadership had failed to hold polls or restore peace amid an escalating civil war with Maoist rebels.

The king took power for the next three years, and placed many politicians under house arrest, Indian media said.

"I have decided to dissolve the government because it has failed to make necessary arrangements to hold elections by April and promote democracy, the sovereignty of the people and life and property," the king said in an address on state radio.

He said a new government would be formed under his leadership to "restore peace and effective democracy in this country within the next three years," the Press Trust of India (PTI) said.

Shortly afterwards, a state of emergency was declared, PTI said, quoting Nepal's state-run television.

Fixed and mobile phone networks in what is one of the world's poorest nations were apparently shut down and communications links with the rest of the world disrupted.

International flights were turned back from Kathmandu airport, and Nepali news Web sites went down, although road links with India remained open.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody's kickin' ass and taking numbers...

We shall see how "democratic" things are in 3 years.

"democracy", it might be the new excuse for "I just want to change shit".

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
wait a minute... when did this happen?

The king took power for the next three years, and placed many politicians under house arrest, Indian media said.
Has it been 3 years since? I'm confused.